Lawrence O'Donnell: RFK Jr.'s lies as House GOP witness have a Trumpian echo

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2023 10:52 pm
Lawrence O'Donnell: RFK Jr.'s lies as House GOP witness have a Trumpian echo.

Published July 20, 2023

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2023 11:40 pm
@Real Music,
I watched his show tonight, holy crap, Lawrence provided a lot of information I was just totally clueless about. I've never been a person who studies the profiles of politicians children....I vividly remember both the deaths of JFK and RFK, they were shattering. But RFK jr. is not equipped to be the leader of the free world, folks we just deserve better.
Real Music

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2023 11:52 pm
@glitterbag,
1. I didn't really know anything about RFK Jr.

2. He was never a person that warrant my attention.

3. He's just someone with a famous name.

4. I agree with you that Lawrence provided all sorts of relevant information that I never knew about.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2023 11:59 pm
@Real Music,
What is truly disturbing is that the American people are prone to pursue Carnival Clowns than get educated about the true worth of the candidates.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 07:34 am
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Is Where Paranoia Meets Legacy Admissions

Quote:
It feels dangerous to write about Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: In the lag between when I put the finishing touches on this and when it becomes publicly available, I could be a conspiracy theory or two behind.

I could be mulling his apparent belief that the coronavirus was diabolically engineered to spare Chinese and Ashkenazi Jewish people while he has already moved on to the hypothesis that Ron DeSantis is a hologram gone haywire (I could buy into this one), the revelation that earbuds deliver subconsciously perceptible government propaganda through our auditory canals or the epiphany that French bulldogs cause global warming. He’s a crank who cranks out whoppers the way Taylor Swift disgorges perfect pop songs.

But we hang on her words for her craft. We hang on his for his clan. Kennedy is where paranoia meets legacy admissions. Like Donald Trump, with whom he has much more in common than he probably cares to admit, he’s an elitist hawking anti-elitism, an insider somehow branding himself an outsider, a scion styled as a spoiler, a populist as paradox. Why do Americans keep falling for these arrogant oxymorons?

Oh, I understand the appeal of the perspective that narcissists like Trump and Kennedy peddle: that sinister operators deploy nefarious tricks to shore up their own dominance and keep hard-working, well-intentioned, regular folks in their places. It’s an exaggeration of inequities and injustices that really do exist, and it simplifies a maddeningly complex world. Ranting about George Soros or Anthony Fauci feels a whole lot better than raging at the vicissitudes of fate.

But why turn to preachers like Trump and Kennedy for this anti-gospel? It’s like consulting sharks about veganism. Trump commenced his career with a big, fat wad of money from his rich father. He attended business school in the Ivy League. He hobnobbed with big-name politicians before he turned against them. He has an eagle’s nest of a penthouse in the financial capital of the world.

And Kennedy? He belongs to perhaps the most storied family in American political life. His uncle’s White House was nicknamed Camelot, for heaven’s sake.

That legacy is suffused with immeasurable heartache. I can’t imagine his pain at seeing that uncle murdered and then having his own father meet the same fate. I bet it stings to this day.

But Kennedy’s place in a bona fide dynasty has also meant access, influence, mulligans. “Kicked out of an elite roster of prep schools, he still managed to arrive at Harvard in 1972,” Rebecca Traister wrote in an excellent recent profile of him and his presidential campaign in New York magazine, where she also described how he is “leaning hard into his family in this contest; his logo even borrows the iconography of his father’s 1968 campaign.”

In an insightful column in The Times, my colleague Michelle Goldberg noted how, at a June rally in New Hampshire, Kennedy pitched his presidential bid as a return of his family’s magic and majesty. “We can restore America to the awesome vitality of the original Kennedy era,” he told an adoring crowd.

It takes a yachtload of nerve to flaunt that pedigree while disparaging an entrenched political class, but across his speeches and interviews, Kennedy tries to have it all ways. He’s marginalized! He’s royalty! He’s the skunk at the garden party! He’s the cucumber sandwiches!

All of which makes him an especially incoherent opportunist. Let’s be clear: As Kennedy promotes the specter of microchips in vaccines, as he posits that H.I.V. may not be the sole cause of AIDS, as he says that Anne Frank had it better than Americans under Covid lockdown, as he claims that Covid vaccines are often deadlier than what they’re supposed to prevent, as he fingers the C.I.A. for his uncle’s assassination and Prozac for mass shootings, he can portray a society in which the deck is stacked against all the little people because the deck has been stacked so heavily in his favor. His rapt audiences and his shimmering Kennedy-ness are inextricable.

He has complained of being “deplatformed” for his, um, unconventional thinking, but he has conventional platforms aplenty. He does interviews galore. If there’s a conspiracy afoot, it’s working to his advantage. His visage, voice and views are everywhere I turn.

And they speak to what a strange and scary time this is. So many Americans are so angry and distrustful that they’ll look for answers in the strangest of places. They’ll bow down to and elevate the unlikeliest of prophets. Trump and Kennedy are the self-proclaimed martyrs of the moment. There will be more where they came from.

nyt/bruni
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 07:13 am
https://cdn.creators.com/200/353148/353148_image.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 07:14 am
https://i.imgur.com/FXiR2YS.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 03:33 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

https://cdn.creators.com/200/353148/353148_image.jpg

Double maybe triple OUCH!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 10:58 pm
RFK Jr advisor admits real goal is to HELP TRUMP!

Rita Palma, an advisor to presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr., admits in a meeting with Republicans in New York that his campaign is united with Trump supporters against Joe Biden, and even outlines ways for RFK supporters to help Trump.

PublishedApril 9, 2024

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 11:35 pm
Mask slips from RFK Jr. campaign as right-wing policies and Trump-supporting staff come into view.

For a candidate described as a liberal by Trump-supporters at Fox News, Robert Kennedy Jr.'s policy positions are remarkably aligned with the right. And key members of his campaign staff are strikingly anti-Biden and pro-Trump, leading many to question the real goal of the RFK Jr. campaign as Donald Trump's allies are reportedly trying to use his candidacy to their advantage. Senator Tim Kaine discusses with Alex Wagner.

Published April 10, 2024

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 11:50 pm
Robert F Kennedy Jr. COVERS FOR DONALD TRUMP - Says Joe Biden is Biggest Threat to Democracy!!!

Jesse talks about disturbing things said by Robert F Kennedy Jr on CNN last night related to how he believes Joe Biden, NOT DONALD TRUMP, poses the biggest threat to democracy right now.

Published April 2, 2024

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2024 10:22 am
Kennedy family brushes off RFK Jr.’s campaign as they endorse Biden.

President Joe Biden received the formal endorsement of more than a dozen members of the extended Kennedy family, aiming to harness the legacy of a storied Democratic family while implicitly underscoring their near-universal rejection of a third-party challenge mounted by one of their own, Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Published April 18, 2024

0 Replies