What is good or bad?!?!?!

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 01:03 pm
Im new here.
putting that aside, what do you think can be classed as good or bad?!
what can be considered good and bad and how do we decide such a thing?
every person has a different opinion on what is good and bad.
for example;
a man steals bread to feed himself and his starving child.
is this wrong?
surely its worse to let a child die!

[H1]PLEASE TELL ME YOUR OPINIONS!!!!![/H1]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 774 • Replies: 14
No top replies

iknow

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:01 pm
what is good or bad for what?
0 Replies

Poseur

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:29 pm
I recently got into a big argument with somebody about this.

Personally, I'm not sure if we have a conscience built in; a sense of what's right and what's wrong. I think that morality -- "good" and "bad" -- is learned [as opposed to instinctual].

And how do we determine what's good and bad?

Good = something that improves the quality of life. [Or furthers humanity.]
Bad = something that lessens the quality of life. [Or sets back humanity.]

As for your example, it's not necessarily good, but it's not bad, either -- I mean, it may lessen the quality of life for the person whose bread it is, BUT... it improves the quality of the thief's life to a much greater extent.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:39 pm
bm
0 Replies

iknow

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:41 pm
what does bm mean
0 Replies

iknow

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:51 pm
Poseur wrote:
I recently got into a big argument with somebody about this.

Personally, I'm not sure if we have a conscience built in; a sense of what's right and what's wrong. I think that morality -- "good" and "bad" -- is learned [as opposed to instinctual].

And how do we determine what's good and bad?

Good = something that improves the quality of life. [Or furthers humanity.]
Bad = something that lessens the quality of life. [Or sets back humanity.]

As for your example, it's not necessarily good, but it's not bad, either -- I mean, it may lessen the quality of life for the person whose bread it is, BUT... it improves the quality of the thief's life to a much greater extent.

i agree with what you said so far. however, you didn't completely answer his question, just said what was good or bad for each party. in terms of the collective good or bad, which is it? was overall more harm done or more good? is it more disturbing for the guy to get something stolen or the girl to live? we don't know wcause we dont' have all the facts. if she only lived for another day probably it woud ahve been better for the guy to keep the bread. cause it would be very upsetting in his cofidence,... maybe you get the idea it could be anything go in any direction. its a very hard thing to judge good and bad usually.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:05 pm
That is why we produce laws, and you Americans have your various amendments. The law and statute define good and bad, if you break the law, it's bad.

But a great number employ the law to do bad, donate to popular charitites and are classed as good.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:08 pm
iknow wrote:
what does bm mean

Bookmarking.

I want to come back to this thread...and want reponses to show up in my "my posts."

I'll probably have some comments later...but I am interested in what others have to say on your question.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:16 pm
Hi Frank, not noticed you about for a long time, are your manners improved? Question Laughing
0 Replies

karazee tom

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:52 pm
WOW
who would have thought my question would have got so many replies this fast!!!
Thanks for all of your views on this!!!
my opinion on good and bad is pretty much the same as poseur's.
only the argument on the theif,the theif is doing good as he is saving a loved ones life, and the child WILL live a normal length life. the person getting stolen from is a wealthy shop owner, it wouldnt matter about one loaf.
if anybody would like to suggest how i could improve my arguments etc. feel free to suggest!!!
erm if anybody has msn and would like to chat more freely...ASK FOR IT!!!
0 Replies

karazee tom

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:55 pm
oh and i wanna add this.
" Good = something that improves the quality of life. [Or furthers humanity.]
Bad = something that lessens the quality of life. [Or sets back humanity.] "

the good 'thing' done must outweigh the bad stuff...sorry,too tired to think of appropriate words
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:59 pm
Mathos wrote:
Hi Frank, not noticed you about for a long time, are your manners improved? Question Laughing

I'm a pussycat, Mathos. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 04:01 pm
Your a gem Frank..

Not bad at all for a Yank!

Cheers mate. :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 04:04 pm
Mathos wrote:
Your a gem Frank..

Not bad at all for a Yank!

Cheers mate. :wink:

Cheers to you too, Mathos.

Since I spent several of my formative years in your beautiful, interesting country...perhaps that accounts for it. Lincolnshire and Yorkshire can do wonders for a growing boy.
0 Replies

Poseur

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 04:27 pm
iknow wrote:
i agree with what you said so far. however, you didn't completely answer his question, just said what was good or bad for each party. in terms of the collective good or bad, which is it? was overall more harm done or more good? is it more disturbing for the guy to get something stolen or the girl to live? we don't know wcause we dont' have all the facts. if she only lived for another day probably it woud ahve been better for the guy to keep the bread. cause it would be very upsetting in his cofidence,... maybe you get the idea it could be anything go in any direction. its a very hard thing to judge good and bad usually.

Hmmm... good point; I hadn't thought of that. But... well... I'm speaking generally. I mean, it's generally "bad" to murder someone, but in some [extreme] cases, it could be considered "good". So, yeah, the bread thing COULD have been a bad thing to do, but in most cases I'd consider it morally acceptable. [Again, not necessarily good, but not completely bad.]
0 Replies