Sgt Pepper Album

kev

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:01 pm
Could I ask for your opinion on this album, brilliant, good, ok. crap or whatever, also would you add you age group,

just under 40

over 40

Thanks in anticipation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 4,453 • Replies: 23
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:05 pm
I'm 40. I bought this album at an out of the way store when I was about 14. I liked it, never loved it, but it was considered a landmark that changed the way popular music sounded for quite some time afterwards.

It is a good listen.

I'm fixin a hole, where the rain gets in, and stops my mind from wonderin, where it will go?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:05 pm
It's definitely brilliant and I'm just slightly over 40.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:23 pm
Just over forty meself and I'd have to say I've never formed an objtective opinion. I mean, it's just there. Always been there, always will be.

It's like... well... what's your opinion of 'Happy Birthday to You'? Never thought much about it did ya? You know the tune, you know all the words, and you bring it out and sing along every now and then.

It's part of my DNA.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:31 pm
I am one who considers it one of the best albums one can hear. Not THE best; but always a good listen. I turn 61 on Sept 17.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:42 pm
I was much more White Album and Abbey Road than I was Sergeant Pepper.

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:44 pm
My older brother made the purchase. I dug it, too. Not every cut but most.
40+.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:00 pm
over 40 . Masterpiece. Abbey Road even better.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:30 pm
I'll be 53 on my next birthday, but i'll lie about it at the drop of a hat . . . you didn't hear that from me.

I got this album in the summer of 1967, and it drove my father up the wall, which only added to its value in my eyes. In retrospect, it is a fascinating tour de force of Harrison, Lennon and McCartney each expressing their personal musical interests. Harrison is a good-time, almost folksy type of rocker; Lennon is an old line, hard rockin' boy--Back in the USSR is a hoot; McCartney dips deeply into England's music hall tradition with songs like She's Leaving Home, Honey Pie and the title song.

Loved it then, love it now, always have.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:56 pm
Wonderful album....and I'm a Jung 'un, 33 tomorrow, but 'Revolver' is still my favourite Beatles album.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 03:46 am
I liked it. I'm 39.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 03:58 am
I'm 27. I definately prefer the 'weirder' tracks to the 'conventional' ones, but I'm a big Hendrix/Doors fan so my angle is a little different.

"Got up... Got out of bed.. Dragged a comb across my hair.."
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:38 am
Grand Duke wrote:
"Got up... Got out of bed.. Dragged a comb across my hair.."

Sir George Martin wrote:
Paul's hoop-de-doo...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:07 am
I have always felt that Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour could have been released in one giant album and been a perfect match.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:30 pm
To my mind they are nearly inseperable... Old man had 'em on eight track, and we'd listen to 'em all the way from Oklahoma to Cape Cod and back (along with Simon & Garfunkle, Woodstock and Hair... Dad so much wished he could have been a hippy...)

Me, I had 'em back to back on a cassette in the car constantly back in the day. Put it in the player at whereever it was cued up...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:15 pm
Like anything, though, you have to understand the context in which this album came into being and understand the influence it had on the progression of rock and roll. Revolver was the prelude, Rubber Soul the turning point and Sgt. Pepper the real deal.

I read that Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said that they never would have made Pet Sounds if they hadn't heard Rubber Soul. Paul McCartney said the Beatles would never have made Sgt. Pepper if they hadn't heard Pet Sounds.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:03 am
I love Sgt Pepper's. Masterpiece? I don't know about that, (more of a "Revolver" fan, here) but it's a great album. My favorite line:

"I've got to admit it's getting better
It's a little better all the time"

I agree with Edgar about the combination of Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour...that would be fun! Smile

Oh yeah...under 40.
0 Replies

vansdad

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 01:19 am
@kev,
Sgt Pepper was the album that changed music and the world. More than just a landmark but historic in every sense of the word. This album along with The Beatles will go down in history as the greatest musical achievement of all time. And it has nothing to do with this album being better or worse than any other. It has to do with its impact when it was released. And I'm nearly 50 and remember the late '60's
Ragman

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 06:29 am
@vansdad,
Quote:
And it has nothing to do with this album being better or worse than any other.

I hear you say you understand and are able to appreciate the impact. I take issue with the previous quote that you wrote:

Actually it does have a lot to do with it being better than most (not all) music albums released at the time and since. If you think that, you are exhibiting an unawareness of popular music and the process/processes/techniques the principle people followed.

For example, at the time of it's release back in June 1967, there were double or triple the amount of recording hours (125 hours, I think) that were ever put into a recording of a popular musical album. Arguably, at the very least, this is an indicator of the amount of care and attention to detail. This music album had the impact that it had because it was decidedly higher in quality and uniqueness and to a broad range of public tastes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 08:11 am
It's not my favourite Beatles album, that would be Revolver. As for its impact I think Piper At The Gates Of Dawn easily holds its own against Sgt Pepper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Piper_at_the_Gates_of_Dawn