(Earth Wind & Fire) vs. (The OJays)

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 02:14 am
Give The People What They Want - O'Jays
(1975)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 02:24 am
Earth, Wind & Fire - Let's Groove (Lyrics)
(1981)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 02:29 am
The O'Jays - Sunshine
(1972)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 02:40 am
Earth, Wind & Fire - Devotion
(1974)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 02:48 am
O'Jays - Message In Our Music
(1976)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 02:55 am
Earth, Wind & Fire - In The Stone
(1979)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 03:01 am
Brandy - The O'Jays
(1978)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 03:08 am
Earth, Wind and Fire - (Can't Hide Love)
(1976)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 03:11 am
The O'Jays - I Love Music
(1975)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 03:18 am
Earth Wind & Fire - Pure Gold
(2005)

Real Music

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2023 03:25 am
@Real Music,
Earth Wind & Fire songs "That's the Way of the World" and "Pure Gold"
are probably my two favorite Earth Wind & Fire songs.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 08:12 pm
The O'Jays - Stairway To Heaven
(1975)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2023 08:20 pm
Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way of The World
(1975)

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 06:05 am
To me the difference is like the difference between Hennessy and a joint with a beer. Both really good, but each a different stroke.
jespah

Reply Tue 2 May, 2023 07:10 am
@Real Music,
Daryl Hall (as in, one half of Hall & Oates) has had rockers over at his place to sing with and that included the O'Jays (it's an online series on YouTube called Daryl's House). They sang/played Use Ta Be My Girl and I just got shivers it was so damned good.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 May, 2023 01:31 pm
@Real Music,
I think you have a more romantic view of music than I do. My big love is usually upbeat, jazzy, over the top music, the stuff that makes you want to get up and dance. However dancing is a lost art for me, but I still prefer the shot of energy music. I don't dislike slower music, it's just seldom my favorite. I did vote up on my fav. tunes. (I don't vote very often but Earth Wind and Fire's "Shining Star" almost got me on my feet)
glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 May, 2023 02:08 pm
@Real Music,
We all have different introductions to music. When I was very young, my parents listened to mainly 30's and 40's style big bands. We were stationed in Iceland until about 1954 and when we returned to the US the big bans were no longer as big and young adults were listening to 'pop' music. Doris Day, Peggy Lee, and so on, but the early Rock and Roll was creeping in and my Aunt (9 years older) was a teenager and she had all the really neat music. (However, she was a huge fan of Pat Boone....a vibe I did not have). The radio stations had a lot of top 40 music and also would post a lot of 50's early music, they called them the Golden Oldies. So my early view of music was Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and right now I can't remember all of them.

I will mention we were able to see a lot of popular artist in the 60's because they still performed at teen centers and small local clubs. I still remember seeing Ben E. King at a teen center in Baltimore during a huge snow storm. In hind site I don't have a clue why out parents let us go, but there we were. I was mesmerized by King, there were so few students there we were right in the front row standing in front of him while he sang.........His voice was incredible and it was his own glorious voice. My most vivid memory was that (as singers do) he looked at various kids then locked eyes with me. I remember becoming afraid, not of him, but the attention.....but it was glorious. He sang "A Rose in Spanish Harlem", which was actually a slower song, but it was absolutely mesmerizing.

I'm not sure if anyone cares about my musical tastes, but I just decided to share.
Ragman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2023 06:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Re musical taste: I’m interested as we’re contemporaries Those times were awesome and the music was amazingly high quality…even as objective (as I can be). Loved Ben E. King’s voice. I even tried to sing it.

The Best of Earth, Wind and Fire is one of my faves of all time.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 May, 2023 07:47 pm
@Ragman,
I really miss the addition of 'Golden Oldies' in the formats. Sirius recently changed the channels again and I'm having a difficult time finding things I want to listen to. Plus, I'm so outrageously picky, I got used to changing channels if something comes on I don't want to hear. I really miss the old style radio stations even though they were AM, the disc jocks had different personalities, different styles and you could actually call in and request particular tunes. I remember driving into work back in the late 60's early 70's and calling Fat Daddy for certain selections....but back then you could skip from rock and rock, to soul, to the new stuff.....lots of music to choose from. James Brown owned a few radio stations in the Baltimore-D.C. areas so mid-atlantic music sampled many different styles. Back then you knew the difference between Otis Reading and early Aretha Franklyn....and during the riots of 68, James Brown had his stations concentrating on softer music. During 68 were we had curfews and no-one wanted to be in Baltimore or D.C. at night, it was too violent.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 3 May, 2023 08:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
To me the difference is like the difference between Hennessy and a joint with a beer. Both really good, but each a different stroke.

1. I agree that both groups are really good.

2. Yes, They both have there own style.

3. Sometimes it's fun just to have the conversation when the two groups are comparable. Smile

4. Both groups are comparable because they both were at their peak around the same (era).

5. Both groups are comparable because they both fall under the same genre (Soul/R&B).

6. Both groups are comparable because Earth Wind & Fire fans are generally the same people
as the O'Jays fans.

7. So, they generally share the (same fan base).

8. Both groups are comparable because both groups have a (similar level)
of success, fame, and recognition.
0 Replies