U.District Court Rulings

gollum

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2023 06:00 am
Recently, a U.S. District Court ruled in a case concerning abortion pills. In that connection, it issued an Order covering the entire U.S.

How is it good public policy to allow a District Court to issue an Order covering beyond its own District?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 08:31 am
@gollum,
It's a federal court. You do know what federal means? That federal government covering the entire United States, right???????
gollum

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 11:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsarstapan-

Yes, I was aware that it is a federal court.

There are 89 District Courts. I guess each District Court has more than one judge -- may be many.

I think it is poor public policy to allow every one of those judges the authority to block the enforcement of any federal law(s) over the entire United States.

I think it is reasonable to allow the U.S. Supreme Court such authority.
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 11:36 am
@gollum,
That's what the appeals process does. The district result can be appealed to the next level until you get to the Supreme Court. If there is no appeal, the verdict stands.
gollum

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 12:36 pm
@engineer,
engineer-

Thank you.

The question is, from the point that the District Court issues its Order until an appellate court overturns that ruling, should the District Court's Order be enforced over the District or over the larger Appellate Court's jurisdiction area?
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 12:49 pm
@gollum,
Usually there is a seven day period in which an appeal can be filed. If that expires, then the federal ruling will stand everywhere.
0 Replies