Should I be a sub teacher or an aide this year?

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
I have a degree in teaching and for the past two years I have been a Title I aide waiting for an opening. My principal is looking out for me, but I feel like I am missing out on the experience I would gain from substituting. Should I sub this year or continue as an aide? I'm confused and could use some insight. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 681 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 02:33 am
What pays more and what has better benifits? The only gain of substituting is the gain of abuse by the students. You travel to all the schools in the district and receive minimal support from the faculty and administration. I've been subbing for 6 years and have subed in 10 different school districts and not one have I been hired. And, I have been requested a lot of times.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 04:59 am
pinkie,

Try for as many teaching jobs as you can manage. This is what your training is for & what you actually want to do, yes? Your principal may think you're an excellent aide, but that is quite a different situation than teaching & (assuming pay for aide work is similar to Oz, where I teach) the salary is much smaller. If your principal is truly supportive of you s/he will be pleased that you've managed to gain the employment you want & deserve, even if it is at another location. It would be extremely selfish of your principal to expect you to forfeit your goals in the interests of her/his school. Why not talk to your principal about the situation? In most cases the principal would support you in gaining the job you want & are trained for.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 06:06 pm
Is there a reason why you don't just move to a district hiring full-time regular teachers?
0 Replies

pinkie27

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 01:44 pm
My husband has a really great job here and we just bought a house, so I am stuck in this area.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:37 pm
Generally, I'd avoid substituting unless it was a long-term position (i.e., regular teacher going on maternity leave) or the pay was a lot better (in my district, aides are paid about the same or a little less than subs, but they have benefits and stable work). I doubt that substitute experience would look any better on an application for full-time teacher than being an aide--substituting, unless longterm, is very different from being the regular classroom teacher.
0 Replies