Comments on whether Joe Biden should run for re-election.

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 05:07 am
Frank Bruni’s column from yesterday’s New York Times is a masterpiece. It speaks to the reasons that while 80% of Democrats and independents feel that Joe Biden has done an excellent job as president…nearly that same amount also feel he should not run again in 2024.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/09/opinion/biden-age-trump-.html

Here are portions for those of you who cannot get past the paywall:

An overwhelming majority of Democrats and independents who lean Democratic believe that President Biden has done a good job — 81 and 78 percent, respectively, according to a recent Washington Post/ABC News poll.

(snip)

Regardless, 58 percent of those same Democrats and independents said that they want a Democratic presidential candidate other than Biden in 2024. They seem to like him. They’re apparently grateful for him. Yet they’re ready to kick him to the curb.

It doesn’t add up. And the person to whom the arithmetic must feel strangest — and coldest — is Biden.

During his State of the Union address on Tuesday night, he strongly signaled that he’ll seek re-election. So that settles that? I don’t think so, not when you factor in the metabolism of politics today, the predictable unpredictability of the world, and his age, 80, which comes with the increased possibility of deteriorating health and sudden illness.

The worries about his ability to endure the rigors of a presidential campaign and come out a winner aren’t going away. Nor will the calls for him to wise up, stand down and let a younger, fresher, more dynamic Democrat claim the center of the stage.

My Times colleague Michelle Goldberg issued such a plea in a column on Monday. I second it. I agree with her analysis, including her assessment of a Democratic bench deeper and more interesting than the party’s perpetually self-doubting downers realize. I wrote about that bench last November — and I didn’t even include Gov. Wes Moore of Maryland or Gov. Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania, promising leaders for whom 2024 is just a bit too soon.
But I nonetheless want to pause and fully acknowledge what an extraordinary and difficult thing Michelle, I and others are asking Biden to do.

(snip)

In saving us from a second term of Trump, Biden quite likely saved us from ruin. And so … we’re done with him?

That’s beyond cold. It’s close to cruel.

(snip)

I know because my doubts aren’t quieted. I registered his endearing brio as he made his remarks, but I also registered his stumbles, the moments when he seemed to lose his way. He has had many of them over recent years. There are surely many, many more to come.

(snip)

Campaigning for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020, Biden told us to choose him over the other contenders because the stakes of depriving Trump a second term were incalculable and he was the safest bet against Trump. He carried the least risk.

Well, the stakes in 2024 aren’t much different, whether or not Trump secures his party’s nomination, because whichever Republican emerges victorious from the Republican primaries will have been touched and corrupted by Trump’s election denialism, his attacks on democratic institutions, his zest for provocation, his resentments, his divisiveness.

So, Democrats once again need to tread a cautious path. That caution explains the paradox of the poll I previously mentioned, and that caution is Biden’s lesson and legacy — which is how he should look at it. Democratic voters aren’t faithless or fickle. They’re fearful, just as he told them to be.
In other words, they’ve been listening to what he’s been saying since Trump came along. That’s a compliment to him. It’s a tribute. May he bask in it.

hightor

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 05:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
I can't tell you how incredibly refreshing and politically invigorating it would be if a politician, ignoring the promptings of ego and personal pride, chose to step aside for the benefit of his party and ultimately the country. The only example I can think of is Willie Brandt's dignified resignation when a close aide was revealed to have been a spy.

The dilemma is that if the party base begins to say no to Biden and he resists, challengers will begin to campaign against him, which could make Biden look weak. And it would diminish the genuine appreciation we feel for how he defeated Trump how he's done his job. I'm just hoping he sees the light – somehow – and acts like a true statesman.
hightor

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 06:02 am
@hightor,
(We’re Not Being Cruel, President Biden. Just Careful.)

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 07:35 am
@hightor,

Yeah, I just started a new thread about this Bruni article, Hightor. It is a gem...and tells the story the way I wish I could.

I hope someone can come to the fore to take the lead...without dissing Joe Biden. I suspect he will eventually step aside on his own. I've seen what the job does to younger people who had it (it ages them incredibly)...so it must be a bitch for an older guy.

And Joe Biden seems to be old for his age. I am 6 years older...and I feel I am much more spry. He has served his country well for a long time...and got that wrecking ball out of office. Time for him to relax and enjoy his final years.
engineer

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 09:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree Biden shouldn't run again at 80 years old ... but he seems to be having a blast. The number of ways Biden has exceeded my expectations continue to surprise me (maybe because my expectations were low). I've written this elsewhere, but Biden has been the cold warrior we needed when we thought that we didn't need cold warriors anymore. He's driven deals on infrastructure and goosed domestic manufacturing. I don't think the US gets nearly the credit for forging a world consensus on Ukraine and neutralizing the shock and awe Russia was counting on in the early days of the Ukraine invasion. We've seen post Covid supply issues and economic turndowns around the world but we are still creating jobs at an absurd pace. He is aggressively confronting those elements in our society (mostly on the wing of the Republican party) who want to turn a blind eye to domestic terrorism. His State of the Union speech was a tour de force in baiting your political allies to self-destruction. Honestly, the guy is hitting on all cylinders. He just doesn't give a damn about the gadflies biting at his heels. But he's 80 and decline happens quickly. He'll be 82 in November when we next vote for President. I'm just not sure there is a Biden like character in the wings to replace him.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 01:05 pm
Bottom line is, no matter how capable one thinks a 82 year old president can be, we'll lose the election with Biden as candidate. Unfortunately, he won't step aside and let anyone else (better) have the opportunity and so it will be DeSantis who'll win. 4 years of utter chaos, stultification of the people (if that's not already a problem) and a horrendous deficit while we're heading for a recession that is very real. Who'll suffer? The American people, the ones who need a Democratic government the most and unfortunately, will vote Republican.
roger

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 03:01 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks. I needed to be cheered up, today.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 03:05 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Thanks. I needed to be cheered up, today.

My thoughts exactly!

I was trying to think of a nice way to say it...one with a little humor.

You aced it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 03:38 pm
@CalamityJane,
A lot can happen in two years. He could fall and hit his head rendering him incapable of communicating, for example. The Dems should be putting forward some names NOW as alternatives who can beat De Santis just in case something like that happens. It's obvious Kamala Harris is not up to the job.
roger

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 04:42 pm
@Mame,
It would be nice if presidential candidates would choose their running mates based on how well they could take over the job. I guess they have to pick the ones that will help them getting elected.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 04:44 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
It's obvious Kamala Harris is not up to the job.

Why not?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 10:38 pm
@roger,
Sorry Roger & Frank - I am being pragmatic! As a Democrat I cannot believe how the Dems have screwed up perfectly winnable elections. They're their worst enemies and if you think Biden can win against DeSantis, you're naive!

I wish it would be different and I gladly will eat my words if it ain't so.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 10:43 pm
@Mame,
I agree, Mame! The Democrats should introduce alternatives right about now.

Is there anyone out there? I would like to see Amy Klobuchar, she's brilliant and Gavin Newsom could be a good candidate too!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2023 05:14 am
@Yalow,
Quote:
Why not?

Because it's a very imperfect world. She's bright and competent and up for just about any job – except one that requires her to campaign head to head against paleo-conservatives, Christian nationalists, and racists. Any reasoned message on her part will be overwhelmed with personal attacks, innuendo, and Fox Noise.
Mame

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2023 10:35 am
@hightor,
Plus I've read she has been sidelined inside the White House. She hasn't been given any high profile files, isn't being brought in conferences/meetings on the major issues and so on. Apparently she's served her purpose. I haven't seen any articles on her except for the one which contained that information. Sidelined. Such a shameful waste of a good brain.
ulacieplak

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2023 04:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
I definitely agree
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2023 10:16 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Plus I've read she has been sidelined inside the White House. She hasn't been given any high profile files, isn't being brought in conferences/meetings on the major issues and so on. Apparently she's served her purpose. I haven't seen any articles on her except for the one which contained that information. Sidelined. Such a shameful waste of a good brain.

You are so right on this. Harris has a brilliant mind, she did so much for California when she was attorney general for CA. She initiated immigration and criminal justice reform, increase of minimum wage and many more. She has twice as much brain power as Biden, but they keep her in the background and she's definitely sidelined.
Mame

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2023 12:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
Now why would they waste her talents? They should be operating as a team. This puzzles me.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2023 08:12 am
Nikki Haley announced her presidential bid. I think Biden beats Trump, not Haley or even Desantis.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2023 11:04 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Nikki Haley announced her presidential bid. I think Biden beats Trump, not Haley or even Desantis.

Haley will not make it to the finals. I am beginning to doubt if Trump or DeSantis make it either. The Republicans may luck out and get someone sane running, but I'm thinking they are going with a crazy. (Big field to choose from there.)

I say Biden wins no matter who they choose...if Biden is the candidate.

1. Forums
  2. » Comments on whether Joe Biden should run for re-election.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:16:39