snood

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 05:55 am
What case? One might ask? What do you need to make a case? He’s already Leader, and he already has pretty broad and solid support from the Democratic Caucus.
He is, and he does. But I wanted to state unequivocally why he belongs as Leader, why he deserves that support, and why he will be someone whose work will make him someone to pay attention to and take notes on.

First and foremost, I want to highlight Jeffries’ straight, no-chaser style. The Democrats have had a maddening penchant at every moment of advantage to quickly start making conciliatory noises about “reaching across the aisle” and “finding what common
ground” we can with the Republicans. While I believe Jeffries has Pelosi’s instinct for building consensus and maneuvering for votes, he does NOT willingly suffer any GOP foolishness.

Look at for instance how he approached the McCarthy 3 failed vote fiasco yesterday. While some pundits were predicting that at least a few Dems might tire and go home, easing the way for McCarthy by their absence, Jeffries said no, we’ll all stay and watch them burn. I don’t happen to see this as petty or trite. I see it as pressing advantage and weakening the opposition. And building a solid caucus.

I love that Jeffries calls them on their ****. But that is not in my opinion his strongest selling point (although it is damn pleasant to see).

I think what makes him a good horse to bet on is his work ethic. The man does his homework. You will not catch him unaware of either real issues or GOP concocted ones. He is on the correct side of every issue that is precious to progressives, and he has the knowledge and fire to promote those issues.

I frankly see Jeffries as not only a no-brainer as our best bet for Speaker, should the opportunity arise, but also for higher elective office, if you know what I mean.

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 06:19 am
@snood,
I agree he would be an excellent speaker, but reality is that the Democrats are a minority. The optimum strategy would be for the Democrats to line up behind a moderate Republican. Names like Representatives Pete Stauber, Don Bacon, and Mike Bost. They're conservative Republicans, sure, but they are a lot more moderate in general and would move the Congress towards the center.
jcboy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 06:20 am
@snood,
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. He’s really articulate & eloquent. He doesn’t hold anything back. He would be an awesome speaker!
0 Replies

joe 2nation

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 06:31 am
We will watch them burn through three (maybe four) more tries, finally someone on the GOP side will step out of the shadow of Kevin McCarthy. Let's hope it's not an election denier or insurrectionist.

Joe(That doesn't leave many choices, does it?)Nation
snood

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 06:59 am
@engineer,
I didn’t mean him for speaker now. I meant when and if the opportunity ever arises to be in the majority.
snood

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 07:01 am
@joe 2nation,
I don’t know… I can kind of see a plus side to having them go ahead and stick a ne’er do well like Boeburt or Green or Gaetz in there.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 07:20 am
@snood,

he only needs six R votes.

i could see it happening if enough old-school R's get fed up with the shenanigans...
snood

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 07:23 am
@Region Philbis,
Now THAT would be newsworthy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 09:47 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I didn’t mean him for speaker now. I meant when and if the opportunity ever arises to be in the majority.

Why are you counting a megagrocery store's worth of eggs before they hatch? Hint. Those eggs aren't hatching. Let him be the damn minority leader before you crown him to a position that ain't happening for at least two years (or worse... longer).
engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 09:50 am
It would be interesting if the Democrats could throw support to a more moderate candidate who could get a few Republicans to go along. The guy would probably lose reelection after being called a traitor for two years, but at least we wouldn't have McCarthy who is great at pressing the flesh but has the intellect of a rock.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 09:51 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

he only needs six R votes.

i could see it happening if enough old-school R's get fed up with the shenanigans...

That would be the greatest gift the Republicans ever gave to the US since Theodore Roosevelt and National Park System. It's never going to happen.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 09:53 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It would be interesting if the Democrats could throw support to a more moderate candidate who could get a few Republicans to go along. The guy would probably lose reelection after being called a traitor for two years, but at least we wouldn't have McCarthy who is great at pressing the flesh but has the intellect of a rock.

Can you name that person? I heard the most preposterous suggestion The Brian Lehrer Show yesterday :but the host was clearly aware of how impossible the idea was): Liz Cheney
engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 10:06 am
@tsarstepan,
Representatives Pete Stauber, Don Bacon, and Mike Bost are all part of the "Main Street Caucus". They are conservative, but practical and want to focus on legislating. I doubt I would see eye to eye with them on a lot of issues but if they were willing to try to pass reasonable legislation and ignore the far right nut cases, I could definitely live with them, especially if they don't threaten a government shutdown every few months.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 11:09 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

snood wrote:

Why are you counting a megagrocery store's worth of eggs before they hatch? Hint. Those eggs aren't hatching. Let him be the damn minority leader before you crown him to a position that ain't happening for at least two years (or worse... longer).

Hey man, I’m not “counting” anything, and I would greatly appreciate you pointing that scoldy schoolmarm tone elsewhere. I’m saying he’d be a good Speaker. I’m saying I think he’d be a good president. Neither of those opinions does anything to “let” or “not let” Jeffries serve as minority leader. That’s a done deal.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 11:47 am
McCarthy appears to lose a fourth vote for speaker
Quote:
Republican rep. Bryon Donalds has received five votes, meaning that, if all Representatives are voting today, and all Democrats continue to vote for Jeffries, McCarthy won't get the 218 votes he needs to reach a majority.

A lone few hands of applause and a louder murmur covered the chamber when the fifth Donalds vote was registered.
jcboy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 11:53 am
@tsarstepan,
Once.
Twice.
Four times a loser! Razz
jcboy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 12:22 pm
@jcboy,
It would be total icing on the cake if one of the republicans stood up and yelled Voter Fraud. Razz
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 12:22 pm
@jcboy,
No one would blink an eye if that happened.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2023 03:16 pm
@jcboy,
That would be hilarious Smile I like the way you think!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2023 12:05 pm
Matt Gaetz just voted for Donald Trump, what a **** show!