People still amaze me with their stupidity

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 12:53 am
I took it as "I see nice car in parking lot, and I block in their driver's door," which is pretty much what you typed. Not "they park two feet over the line," which obviously drives everyone nuts. Different story...or nice overture.

I really could care less what people drive. Yeah, I kind of laugh at single guys driving Denalis, Escalades...I talked my roomate out of buying a huge "look at me" SUV, but the way I look at it...llike everything else, if you have the money, do whatever you want. May be unresponsible, but that attitude will never change in the US. Not the way I am, but, I'm not going to key people's cars because they get less than X miles per gallon.

Hey, women can't park anything on 4 wheels, it's "not the size that counts." I had to park a chick friend's Cavalier for her last week.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:12 pm
well, i opted for the smaller suv...the 4runner sits on a car chassi, not a truck one. i test drove the tahoe, holy cow is that thing huge!!!! it is like driving mr. d's huge ass dodge ram, i just can't do it. maybe because i am a woman.

and slappy, no matter what any woman tells you, size really does matter, they just say that to make you feel better Smile heehee
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:22 pm
and everyone, since this has evolved into a "what i hate about stupid drivers and vehicle owners" thread, whe should go with that! feel free to write about whatever stupid thing you saw a driver do!!!! bring it on!!!!!!!!

from yesterday afternoon, i was driving in the right hand lane approaching a light. going the other direction was a person in the left hand turn lane. now there was no one, and i mean no one in front of me for at least a good 500 yards, and this person had been sitting there the entire time...and waited until i was about 50 feet from the light, pulled a u turn into my lane. i was going 45 (the posted speed limit) and had to slam on my breaks and actually leave skid marks not to hit them-then pull into the left lane, because there was no one there...

after calming down, i peered into my rear veiw mirror thinking well maybe the light just turned green, but i go through that light every m-f and the left hand turn light going that way has the green arrow before the straight light turns green and then the left hand turn lane has the solid green circle-yield.

maybe i am just a crappy driver, but it seems like everyday, i run into more and more stupid drivers. still amazes me...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:33 pm
early morning, small town, i'm coming up to a corner to make a right turn, at this corner there is a specific right turn lane that is about three car lengths long, the section of road leading up to this is used for street parking (clearly marked, with parking meters and paint on the road and everything), i'm just getting ready to merge from the through lane into the turn lane (with turn signal and everything), when a huge suv pulls out of the line of traffic about two car lengths behind me and proceeds to drive through the parking spaces and cut me off to get to the turn lane, i missed getting hit, but just, i suppose my only consolation would have been it would have been his fault, but man i was pissed the rest of the day, this happens at this corner all the time, especially in the morning since the parking spots are mostly used by shoppers and this occured before any shops were open
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 02:02 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I took it as "I see nice car in parking lot, and I block in their driver's door," which is pretty much what you typed. Not "they park two feet over the line," which obviously drives everyone nuts. Different story...or nice overture.

Yup, that's how it reads, not at all what I meant. "Absolutely retarded" is kind for what I would think of someone that malicious. I'm only occasionally malicious Twisted Evil

I'm not advocating vandalism of any kind, but I do get a perverse pleasure from watching them climb through the rear hatch or over the passenger seat to get to the driver's seat. I also only do it if I can get my entire car into what's left of the parking slot.

Turn lanes have to be high on the list of places where accidents occur. We have a left turn lane at one intersection and a long, low, bumpy median that leads up to it. You often times hear someone driving along the median, 'burrrump, burrrrump, burrrrrump' trying to get into the turn lane ahead of anyone else.

Question for everyone... What do you typically do when a light turns yellow as you approach it? The times when you could stop before it turns red, do you gun it to get through before it turns red or do you slow down and wait for the next cycle. I admit I'm more likely to go than slow.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:45 am
I stop at yellows if I can do so without jamming on the brakes. I catch myself running a light once in a while though.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:33 am
i make that decision based on the driver behind me, large vehicle which shows no sign of stopping i'm going for it
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:31 am
Slappy I take offensive to that remark! I used to be an excellent parallel parker a bit ago. I was working full time and going to grad school at Northeastern. Whenever I had a late class I would always drive to work, and then desperately search for parking around Northeastern. Trying to squeeze your car in with all the traffic going by - I could parallel park in some small spots very quickly as we all know how polite and patient Boston drivers are.

My sweet grandmother once keyed some one's car. My brother was with her when it occurred. After she was getting into her parked car - some nimwit open the door in their car next to her and with no regard just slammed the door into her car. My less than 5 foot petite grandmom began screaming at the idiot (no one fights with this feisty woman), they simply ignored her and walked off. My grandmom took her key and keyed the car. Nice!

As far as yellow lights 9 times out of 10, I actually stop if I feel I can. That 1 out of 10 times I do go through is usually I need to pick my daughter by 6:00 and it is 5:55. If I do, I always look and make sure no one is ready to gun through the light (and for cops)!

Djjd62 - my husband did the same thing at a light. He had our two little girls in the back seat, saw the light was turning yellow, but noticed the driver behind him was gunning to make the light. He felt it was better to go through than chance the guy rear ending him. The police were there, pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He tried to explain why, but the police were not hearing it.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 10:05 am
ok, i wrote this whole thing once, but database error happened...

on sunday i was driving on a three lane road (well, 6 lanes, three going my way) at the speed limit-45 mph, and there was church going on. now during this church let out, i am well aware, that the sheriff's department monitors traffic there because the church has a large constiuency and there is no light or real intersection at the church. they have to drive down about 50 yards and make a u-turn if they want to go towards the left coming out of the church. i have no problem with this, i am used to it, stop all the time for them, no big deal.

well yesterday, there were about 10 cars in the left hand turn lane 50 yards down to make a uturn. i was coming up on them in the right lane, so there were two lanes of empty traffic between us (no one was in those lanes). i look around thinking where is the sheriff guy who directs traffic...don't see him so i continue on my merry way. just about 10 yards before the intersection, he comes running out from behind the left hand turn lane traffic, directly in front of me, and puts his hand up for me to stop.

now, if i had been racing down the road or he had been more visible to me, i would have been ok with his verbal rage at me (my windows were down). but i was kinda upset given he was hidden behind the left hand turn lane traffic, and obviously didn't see me until the last minute because he came a running, so who is he to think i saw him until he ironman sprinted into my lane of traffic. i had to screech to halt, just to not hit him. and what kind of intelligence is that? step in front of the car going 45 mph so it will stop? i mean, there was no way i could have seen him because those cars were blocking him from my view.

and i was paying attention becuase i know they are always out there on sundays...

again, maybe i am just a bad driver because these things keep happening to me...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:08 am
J_B wrote:
I'm not advocating vandalism of any kind, but I do get a perverse pleasure from watching them climb through the rear hatch or over the passenger seat to get to the driver's seat. I also only do it if I can get my entire car into what's left of the parking slot.

I do too.

Quote:
Question for everyone... What do you typically do when a light turns yellow as you approach it? The times when you could stop before it turns red, do you gun it to get through before it turns red or do you slow down and wait for the next cycle. I admit I'm more likely to go than slow.

Depends if I'm in a hurry or not. I won't go through a yellow unless I can still see yellow while I'm already in the middle of the intersection. That's legal.

-----

And dragon49: When you get a database error, try hitting the back arrow to save your lengthy post. Saved me many a time. :wink:
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:24 pm
I don't think this was worth starting it's own thread...but what about how f'n lazy some people are?

At my gym, there's some parking spots right in front, then a whole parking lot out back, and it's not a long walk at all, and rarely full. I thought I was lazy as hell when it comes to walking...people will sit out front near the door and wait for someone to pull out of the front spots.

Today I got a spot out front with my motorcycle. Walk to the bike, and there's a couple in an SUV parked on the sidewalk. Immediately, "are you leaving?" What the fvck?? Go park out back! I came so close to asking them why the hell they'd sit and wait rather than just park out back. Just annoying knowing they're waiting for me while I put on my jacket, gloves, helmet, ect.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:55 am
alright...here goes directly to JB's point...

Quote:

was it JB's soccer mom? it was an SUV...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:29 am
I'm usually anti-violence, but I hope they shoot the a$$hole. Not only did he run over and kill the attendant, he then fled the scene - all over $54.00 Crying or Very sad

Slappy's point about parking lot cretins. For years I would rush to pull out of a spot if someone was waiting. I don't like to wait, and I don't like making people wait for me. One day, while loading grocery bags into my car, I noticed a car waiting for my spot (woman driving a tank). I was pretty close to the store entrance. I noticed there were two other cars behind her waiting for her to park. They couldn't get around her because she was smack in the middle of the lane. I started rushing, but as I pushed my empty cart over toward the cart return I saw an empty spot TWO cars down from mine. It was fully visible, certainly from her high perch. She was waiting and holding up everyone else because she was too lazy to walk an extra 20 feet! She didn't have a handicapped sticker and a handicapped spot was available if she did have one. I don't rush to pull out of a slot anymore. I might even slow down a bit.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:42 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
At my gym, there's some parking spots right in front, then a whole parking lot out back, and it's not a long walk at all, and rarely full. I thought I was lazy as hell when it comes to walking...people will sit out front near the door and wait for someone to pull out of the front spots.

The worst thing about it... THEY ARE GOING TO THE FREAKING GYM!!!

If you're to lazy to walk from the back parking lot, my guess is you are wasting whatever you are paying per month for a membership.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:03 am
I like to speed up and get out of my spot if someone is waiting too.

I read somewhere about a study that people take longer to pull out of their spot if someone is waiting. Just another point that people are inconsiderate fockers.

jpin, no kidding. It's like the people I see lighting up cigarettes right when they get in their car after the gym.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:22 am
My wife is one who will make me drive around the parking lot looking for the closest space. I point to one that would require perhaps approximately 10 seconds of extra walking, but she insists that we waste 2-5 minutes waiting for the "prime" parking spot. Unbelievable.

As far as the cigarette thing, I play soccer against a team of smokers. It's hilarious to watch them struggle through the first half of a game to where they can smoke their cigarettes during half time. It's like an oxygen bottle to these folks. Their wheezing and gasping for air ... until they put the cig in their mouth ... then they're okay. Again ... unbelievable.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 11:04 am
Ticomaya - depends on which state you live in. In MA you can get a ticket, if the police feel you could have stopped safely, no matter whether you make it through the intersection while the light is still yellow or not.

Slappy - my husband says the same thing all the time about people waiting to park close at the gym. He, on the other hand will drive around to find a spot that is least likely to be close to another car or one where only one car will be on one side of him. He is paranoid about getting the car dinged. I always try to park where it is quickest and easiest to get out of the parking lot/garage.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 11:13 am
I could care less if my car gets dinged, it's only a Nissan. My last couple cars, I was that guy that would park further away, or next to other nice cars(someone else in a nice car is less likely to ding your car than someone in a sh!tbox).
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 12:22 pm
ok so this morning i am stopped at a light with 2 left hand turn lanes and 2 straight lanes. i am in the right hand straight lane and there is a girl in the straight lane next to me. the left hand turn lane signals turn green (two green arrows), yeah chick next to me goes...almost hits the cars turning left from the opposite direction. then realizes what she did, throws it in reverse, and almost backs into the traffic turning left from our side.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 03:07 pm
Gee!It's great living in the English countryside.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:34:41