People still amaze me with their stupidity

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:48 am
this happened on my way to work this morning...

so i am driving along in the left hand lane of course because i am somewhat of a speed demon (i go about 70 in a 55). I first notice this car because they are tail gating me so badly, i can't even see who is in the car. i drive an SUV so their car sat lower than mine-it was an older honda prelude. so after tailgating me that badly (they couldn't have been more than a foot behind) they cut off the person in the middle lane and proceed to literally fly by me (now i didn't get over and out of their way because there was a huge dump truck in the middle lane maybe a full car length in front of me and i was gaining on it). this car zooms past me and practically takes off my front bumper when they cut me off to get back into the left hand lane. then they proceed to slam on their brakes because i was following another car (with the appropriate distance) and when they cut me off they had to slam on them to not hit the car in front of me.

well, i don't think all of that really upset me that badly...here's the kicker. this car had a woman in it with her child who couldn't have been more than 6-7 years old. the child was riding in the passenger seat with no seat belt. i noticed all of this as they sped past because i certainly couldn't see them when they were behind me, they were too close-all i saw was the top of the car. i mean, i am not a parent, but aren't you supposed to keep your child 1. in the back seat until they are 12, 2. in a freaking seat belt!!!!!

cmon. that's just plain stupid. i mean its bad enough you put your own life in danger by driving like a freaking maniac (if you get hurt, hey you were driving like an idiot), but your child in the front passenger seat with no seat belt at age 6/7??? the stupidity of some people still amazes me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,229 • Replies: 60
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:08 am
Oh the possibilities!

Could be a child-napping...stolen child from a spouse who got custody rights.

Could be a drug or alcohol reaction and the driver is not even completely aware of what they are doing. Not familiar to that degree with drugs but know of alcohol black outs where things are done but no recollection of them. She could be in the middle of that.

As to seat belts that to me is common sense as are child safety seats. I am not sure if all states have laws on this so she may be from a state where it is not standard operation although again, common sense would be for the child to be as safe as possible but with her speed of driving, that (common sense) doesn't seem to apply. Of course at the rate she was driving even safety factors would probably not matter in the case of an accident. That rate of speed, going off the road, across the median, into another vehicle or blowing a tire or.... well you get the idea. I need to ask did you manage to get a tag number off the car? Also have you a cellular phone? (I hate them but they are helpful I believe if you are going to be on the road) if you carry one then not only do you have a small measure of protection in emergency situations, you could also pull to the side of the road or the next exit and call in the car and reckless driver information.

I would like to think she was in an emergency situation and rushing the child to the hospital for an injury of some sort but that seems highly unlikely since that would have hopefully meant keeping the child physically secured to avoid risk of further injury.

I know none of this helps you right now but those are my current thoughts.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:26 am
roadside executions would stop that.
Anyone who isnt obeying safety laws
ie: drinking and driving, tailgating at speeds higher then 50mph, children NOT in safety belts.. etc..
get shot.
Period.
Save money on court costs, public safety costs would be down, and DAMN.. noone would do those things anymore. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:30 am
not obeying safety laws, sort of like speeding?
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:35 am
There are many drivers out there that don't think saftey rules apply to them---it's a shame when they just don't give a sh!t.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:15 am
its when theydont give a **** that they kill innocent people.
>grr<
drivers aggrivate me
Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:24 am
When I read the title of the thread, I thought maybe you found out how I went all the way to the grocery store for some food and razors, and when I came back, I realized I forgot the razors!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!
ROTFLMAO!!!!!
Smile Smile

You know, if you are what you eat, then I've been eating a lot of silly geese!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:24 am
Could've been the child was sick and she was rushing him/her to the hospital. But if that were the case I would have expected flashers or something.

But crikey, I don't think I'd ever cut off an suv in my little honds for fear of having it drive over top of me.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:25 am
Hey dragon, how long did you notice they were tailgaiting you?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:27 am
i do have a cell phone, but i was so busy not hitting her that i couldn't get anything on her. plus i forgot in my earlier story, she then shot across 4 lanes of traffic (literally 4 at one time during rush hour no less) to head towards the downtown tunnel (which at that point was backed up and she had to cut off two other people who were going maybe 25mph while she was going 8 million mph-only to stop pretty much dead to sit in the tunnel traffic). now i would say that maybe she was heading towards the naval hospital, but if i remember correctly you exit much before that (and norfolk general is in downtown norfolk so she couldn't have been going there).

i mean, i was being relatively reckless driving 70 in a 55, but she passed me like i was standing still and i am not kidding when i say that when she was tailgating me, i couldn't see her front windshield she was close to me, all i could see was the top of her car.

sturgis you are right, i have no idea what she was doing and i shouldn't judge her, but honestly (parents, you tell me because i have no kids) would anyone out there, even in an emergency, tailgate an SUV at 70 mph (her car would have easily slid under mine if she had hit me and could have decapitated them both), then pass them going faster than 70, then cut them off and slam on your breaks with your young child in the front seat with no seatbelt onlt to then bolt across 4 lanes and come to a complete stop after cutting off two more people? even if her child was in some kind of emergency situation, i fear she subjected them to a much worse one. i would have been having a heart attack if i was that child.

shewolf, you been in texas too long Smile roadside executions...haha.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:33 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Hey dragon, how long did you notice they were tailgaiting you?

i guess i saw them about 15 seconds before she passed me. but i honestly didn't even realize she was there until she pulled out to pass me because i could only see the freaking roof of her car and it didn't register because i really couldn't make out the actual car. maybe i wasn't paying close enough attention, i don't know. i make the same drive every day so it's not out of the realm of possibility that i didn't notice it sooner.

she had to be less than a foot from the back of my car at 70 mph. plus the dump truck in the middle lane was towing one of those car carrying trailers...you know the ones with the things you drive up on to? i had visions of her launching her vehicle over the dump truck. if i hadn't realized she was going to cut me off and braked, she would have clipped my front bumper, or the rear end of that trailer. i slowed down because i knew it was coming..
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:42 am
70 in a 55 on the freeway is far from reckless. I'd be tailgaiting you too/expecting you to move, if nobody was in front of you...but nothing to that extreme. I don't like to tailgaite..I'll come up...move a little closer...a little closer, and if the dumbass isn't going to move then I'll wait to pass on the right.

She probably has a great driving record. People are stupid. Driving like that in heavy traffic never gets you anywhere.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:55 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
70 in a 55 on the freeway is far from reckless. I'd be tailgaiting you too/expecting you to move, if nobody was in front of you...but nothing to that extreme. I don't like to tailgaite..I'll come up...move a little closer...a little closer, and if the dumbass isn't going to move then I'll wait to pass on the right.

She probably has a great driving record. People are stupid. Driving like that in heavy traffic never gets you anywhere.

well, i thought about that, maybe i should have moved over, but honestly if i had, i would have been too close to the dump truck with its trailer for my comfort. and i was following someone, obviously not that close because she found a way to fit in between us Laughing .

yeah, i try not to be that dumb ass who rides in the left hand lane because it ticks me off too. maybe i was ..who knows.

and yeah, forgetting the razors...slappy...you need help. Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:25 am
BBB
As irritating it is when you encounter someone behaving badly on the road, the best thing to do is to get as far away from them as possible. You can fume about it later, but at least you will be safe to get really pissed.

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 10:50 am
To the comment on aren't children supposed to be in the backseat until they are twelve - yes! In a freaking seat belt - yes and at 6 or 7 they should be in a booster seat too - unless they are big for their age.

No questions asked - my 6, almost 7 year old - sits in the back, in a booster seat with seat belt on. She has been taught since she was old enough to speak to yell if I forget to fasten the seat belt. And she has!

At the least if it was an emergency - the child should have been in the back seat with the seatbelt on - end of story!

BBB is right. In the past week, I have decided if some one needs to zoom past me to beat me to the next light, they must need to get some where faster than me to risk life and limb so instead I just relax and let them go. Used to piss me off before, but I decided it was not worth it to get angry then you just end up doing something stupid and try to cut them off or the like.

I just saw a few nights ago on a news program about a mom that killed three young teenagers (including her daughter) and severely injured another. She was sentenced I think to manslaughter or something like that. According to witness accounts she was driving like a bat out of h*ll, racing to the next light and ended up losing control of the car.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 11:05 am
oh i agree completely too. i was fuming, but i slowed down to back off of her since almost took off my front bumper. Then she cut across 4 lanes of traffic so i was no where near her anymore. it is sad. i was angry, but more than that, i was scared for her child.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 11:11 am
This kind of incident is the reason I keep pen and paper beside me on the passenger seat - I write down bits of license numbers and vehicle info and call it in to insurers and the police.

I have to look at photos of the results of idiot drivers every day, and I have no patience left for idiocy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 04:27 pm
Another case to why women shouldn't drive. Much harder to kill while baking pies and making babies.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 06:45 am
slappy was that you this morning tailgating me and swerving back and forth in your black infiniti G35????
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:39 am
I wish I had a black G35...but only if it were a coupe....and 6-speed.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » People still amaze me with their stupidity
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 08:31:53