Summer's Almost Over...

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:54 pm
I know it doesn't officially end until September 22nd.

But, as far as I'm concerned, once Labor Day is over, summer's toast. It's over, people.

They'll be draining the swimming pools soon. School kids will sadly accompany their Moms to buy their "going back to school" clothes and stuff.

Sigh..it's getting just a little cooler in the evenings. Even the crickets sound different now. Not as spirited, not as joyful. They sound...mournful. They know it's almost over.

Soon, when we leave work at the end of the day, it'll be dark outside. That sucks!!

It'll be Christmas soon. That's nice. I'll think about that.

How do you feel about summer being over? Do you feel a little sad like me? Is there anything you want to accomplish before the year is over?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,900 • Replies: 80
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:56 pm
I hate the end of summer. That's why I'm moving to Florida.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:56 pm
Why are you doing this to me? Summer is NOT over.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:59 pm
Not a moment too soon, say I. Having suffered through the sweltering summer heat and humidity, I am soooo ready for the most wonderful months of the year -- September and October. The kids are back in school and out of the way. The theater and concert season is back in full swing. The leaves on the trees are turning splendidly gorgeous colors. You can sleep at night without the airconditioner on. Time to start putting on good-looking clothes instead of dumb-ass T-shirts and polo shirts and tank-tops. You get no sympathy from me, I'm afraid. I have scant love for those hot summer months.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:02 pm
Hey, Amigo!! How'd you get to be an Enthusiast so fast!! I joined A2K way back in May!! I been posting my little paws off, clawing my way up the ladder from Newbie, and I only just became an Enthusiast!

And speaking of that, what -- or who, do you have to do around here to get PM privileges? I still don't have that yet.

Anyway, I know what you guys mean. I'm feeling a little sad all the sudden...

I don't blame you for moving to Florida, Kickycan. I've seen enough snow storms to last me the rest of my life. For some reason, I have a feeling we're in for a rough winter. What joy.

I especially love it when you have a big shovel full of snow, and you turn to throw it aside -- then a big gust of wind comes along and blows it back in your face. Such fun. Oh, the memories...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:03 pm
It will be back in about a year.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:06 pm
Thanks, Amigo. You really are.....an amigo!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:10 pm
Title sounds like an old song

Summer's almost gone
Winter's commin' on
And I feel like I gotta travel on. . .

Billy Grammer?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:14 pm
You know what it reminds me of? There was a Country Time Lemonade commercial a few years ago that had this beautiful song about summer...childhood memories, golden sunlight...something like that.. How did that song go again?

If I could think of it, I'd sing it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:14 pm
Es nada (It's nothing). I hurt my leg and could not walk. I spent a whole week doing nothing but A2K. I'd never been on a forum before. That and I spend to much time here.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:15 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Not a moment too soon, say I. Having suffered through the sweltering summer heat and humidity, I am soooo ready for the most wonderful months of the year -- September and October. The kids are back in school and out of the way......I have scant love for those hot summer months.

You've got my vote. For someone like me who has an outside job, the heat makes the work so much harder. Sad
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:16 pm
Quote:
I spend to much time here

You and me both, amigo.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:26 pm
" In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus SUMMER FOREVER !
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:08 pm
"Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face."

-- Victor Hugo

We can always laugh, no matter what time of year it is.

(Btw, I liked the Camus quote)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:10 pm
I think I will opt for the "Endless Summer" here in San Diego. Where is that long board Question
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:32 am
kickycan wrote:

You are? I missed that one.

Back to summer... I'm usually ready for each season to end just about three months into it. When I was in New England and winters lasted six months I would go crazy. There we had a month of mud season, a month or two of summer, a couple months of fall, the dead month of November, and then 6 more months of winter.

Here, near Chicago, each season lasts about three months and it works out perfectly. The weather will stay nice through mid September and then we will see a noticeable cooldown. The fact that the kids are back in school doesn't depress me. It gives me a few weeks to enjoy my own summertime by spending the days outside, visiting museums, walking along the quiet beaches, working in the garden. I look forward to late summer - it ain't over yet.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:47 am
Re: Summer's Almost Over...
Stray Cat wrote:
How do you feel about summer being over?

I hate it hate hate hate it. Thought alone totally sends me into a panic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:53 am
Re: Summer's Almost Over...
nimh wrote:
Stray Cat wrote:
How do you feel about summer being over?

I hate it hate hate hate it. Thought alone totally sends me into a panic.

I can relate to that! I always feel exactly the same during the dying days of summer .... But, right now, having almost survived winter, I'm SO looking forward to warm days again ... Not a moment too soon, it'll be!
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm
What is summer? I miss having summer breaks even though I did always work but there was always that time free time that you had -- what I would do to be in college
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm
kickycan wrote:

Yeah Kicky, if you like summer you'll LOVE Florida. 'Round these parts it is a "balmy" 96 degrees right now. It does not even feel like autumn until the middle of November. Shocked
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Summer's Almost Over...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 02:05:25