Summer's Almost Over...

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:34 pm
I'm not looking forward to the end of the summer because that's when it gets busy at work and I don't think I have to tell you how LONG the winters are here in the great white north.

Oh well, I'll have 4 1/2 months off in the winter, so I really can't complain.

It's been kind of a rough summer this year.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:48 pm
Hi, happytaffy from your "just hatched" post of a page or two ago. Welcome to A2K and this thread.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:29 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
How hot does it get in BC Reyn?

Sorry for the late reply.

Well, I live in the southwest corner of BC, up in the Fraser Valley section. We're about 1 1/2 hour drive from Vancouver.

Lately, our temperatures here have been hovering around the 30 degree Celsius mark (about 86 F.).

In the interior of the province, let's say the Okanagan (Kelowna, Penticton, Vernon, Osoyoos, etc), you can add a few more degrees to that temperature, especially Osoyoos. It's semi-desert around there.

Around Vancouver, it generally is quite a bit cooler due to the ocean breezes. Victoria's temps are nice, too.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:41 pm
Montana wrote:
I'm not looking forward to the end of the summer because that's when it gets busy at work and I don't think I have to tell you how LONG the winters are here in the great white north.

Oh well, I'll have 4 1/2 months off in the winter, so I really can't complain.

It's been kind of a rough summer this year.

I always thought that New Brunswick -- like Maine -- was a four-season province. Y'got yer early winter, yer midwinter, yer late winter and yer next winter. Ayuh. Four seasons.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:46 pm
September is my favorite month - the tourists have gone
home, school has started, the beaches are nearly empty,
and the weather is just perfect. October brings us crisper
but still warm weather, and gorgeous clear sunsets I look
forward seeing.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:47 pm
LOL, you've got it pretty well pegged there, Merry. We do have a lovely summer, but it's a bit too short for my liking and we seem to jump right from summer to winter and winter to summer.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:49 pm
September be a bit chilly around these parts. Brrrrr!!!!

It's already cold at night.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:12 pm
That's why I could never live where you do, Montana. It's much too cold for me.

We have four distinct seasons here. Spring and Autumn are the most beautiful but sometimes don't last long. Temperatures typically range from 100 in the summer to 0 in the winter, but we always seem to get a warm spell in January when we'll have 60 or 70 degree temps for a couple of weeks. That's weird, and sometimes it messes up the plants, but it's sooooooo welcome!

Spring is the season of hope, and Autumn is the season of reflection. Since my psyche is about a 50-50 mixture of both, I cannot decide which is my favorite.

One thing I do know...October is always the very best month here, weather-wise. I hate cold weather, but Autumn is so mild and colorful, and the holidays are approaching, so I don't have a chance to get depressed about it until January. Ooh, January. My least favorite month. All the fun is over, and all I have to look forward to is.....February. YUK.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:28 pm
Hey, my birthday is in January!

LOL!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:34 pm
I actually don't mind the weather, except when it rolls around to March, which is when I'm fed up with winter already. We don't get our big snow melt down until april sometime and that is when I start getting excited.
The fall is amazing around here becaue of all the trees and the colors are spectacular.
Spring is the most welcomed season I think.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:09 pm
For me too, Montana!!

My birthday's in February. We really picked a couple of wild and woolly months to be born in, didn't we?

I can't tell you how many birthday celebrations have had to be cancelled because of snow and ice. Sigh! The only thing that gets me through the winter is thinking about Spring!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:11 pm
Montana wrote:
Hey, my birthday is in January!

Lucky You...you have a reason to look forward to it.

I hate it. It's just so...colorless.

(And cold. Evil or Very Mad )
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:53 am
SC
You wouldn't happen to be an Aquarius, by any chance?
Yeah, I start dreaming about spring in Oct, LOL!

Eva
My birthday isn't really celebrated, so I don't think much of it. Heck, at this point in my life, I kind of dread the day ;-)
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 12:42 pm
Yep, I'm an Aquarius! Are you one too, Montana? Aquarians rule!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:11 pm
You bet I am :-D I noticed we shared the same thoughts and opinions about most everything and the humorous side of you was a dead give away ;-)

Rock on my Aquarian friend :-D
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:37 pm
i'm so ready for fall, i work in the greenhouse industry and this summer especially has been brutal, i'm lucky in that some of my day is spent in an air conditioned office, but then when i do have to go out to the packing line or ito the crop it's worse than spending all day there (nonre of the workers believe that, but it's true, i started out working the crop so i know what i'm talking about)
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 05:33 pm
Eva,

I have to thank you for the synopsis of Oklahoma weather! I've only been here since late May and wasn't exactly sure what I had coming ahead of me.

The very distinct change of seasons is nice to look forward to. I haven't had that since I was 10 and living in Iowa. I do understand there while it can get very cold here in the winter, there usually isn't that much snow?
It's 92 right now in OKC where I am and I am running around in socks.
The cold ravages me. Sad

I know I will really be looking forward to spring and all the new blooming of the flowers and trees!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:57 pm
Lady J -- We don't get much snow at all compared to Iowa. About 7 inches a year on average, and that comes in 2 or 3 storms. OKC can get pretty good sized snowdrifts due to the wind, though. You'll be hearing a lot about "wind chill factor."

All in all, the ice is more feared than the snow. Hope you know how to drive on snow & ice. Cities don't spend much money on snow removal equipment here in the "Sun Belt." They just throw a little sand/salt mixture on the major intersections. When we lived in Cleveland, Ohio (77 inches of snow annually! Yikes, get me outta there!)we never once had to drive on it. It was always cleared away by 8 a.m. Those folks wouldn't have made it through one of our snowstorms!

October is the best month. February is the worst. Expect things to start blooming in April. Plant things outdoors after April 15 (tax day)...it's also our frost-free date.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:01 pm
Montana wrote:
Eva
My birthday isn't really celebrated, so I don't think much of it. Heck, at this point in my life, I kind of dread the day ;-)

Hey now! That's no way to live!

I've always considered my birthday as "Personal Indulgence Day." I try not to do anything I don't want to do. And you'd be amazed how people will excuse you when you say, "I can't. It's my birthday." I treat myself to my favorite foods, lots of chocolate, and whatever I feel like.

So I ALWAYS look forward to my birthday!!!

Aquarius, huh? Well, that explains the compatibility. I'm Libra...we're both air signs. You Aquarians can be a bit flaky, though. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:09 pm
Yep, we're kinda eccentric.

But that's a good idea about the Personal Indulgence Day. I like that. PID......Next January when it's all dark and cold....I'm gonna look forward to my own PID.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 06:08:03