Has anyone taken their cat on a plane?

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:50 am
I've shipped cat both within the country and abroad for various friends. You first have to contact the airline and get their procedures (each is different) They require special FAA approved carrying containers, one cat to a container, and they travel in the baggage compartment. They cannot go in the cabin. You also have to provide food and water. The airline should have instructions, you might look on their web site.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:51 am
delete double post
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:56 am
Acquiunk - I think you are incorrect in that they cannot go into go into the cabin. My friend traveled with two cats and they were in their approved FAA carrying containers in the cabin under the plane seat. Most airlines allow a limited number of animals traveling in the cabin - obviously they must be small enough and kept in their carriers.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:04 am
My experience was with American Airlines and I was told that all animals go in the baggage compartment. It may be different for other airlines.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:14 am
I think Jo's is a military flight. Hubby changing bases.

I REALLY like the RV idea. Not sure if it would be less expensive if it's military, not commercial flight. But, I really like the RV idea.

You and hubby could consider it a little vacation . adventure before settling into "real" life, and you could lie down or strretch as needed.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:24 am
Okay, my husband came home from lunch, and he's going to talk to personnel about letting me fly from Salt Lake City to Anchorage.

This allows me to go with him part of the way and shortens the flight time for the animals to 5 1/2 - 7 hours. If I did this, kickycan can rest his pretty hinney because the cat would go in the baggage cabin. Wink I feel more comfortable with that.

Sorry, but the dog would still be up front.

I know Continental allows cats. They only say that they can't share crates if they are of different breeds.

My husband's worry of course is just that I'll be 7 1/2 months pregnant and I'm a high risk pregnancy. So, he would prefer me to not be in the car at all since it borders the time frame a lot of doctors don't recommend being in the car for long. BUT, he loves the animals and I enough to compromise.

We don't know if they allow this new idea (or how it will change) since he gets paid PER PERSON, per mile which includes gas, hotel, luggage, food, and the per mile business.

He has an appt tomorrow to make the final outline of the trip.

It would mean that I will drive through:

(start point) - Dallas, TX
New Mexico
Denver, Colorado
then onto Salt Lake City to board plane.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:33 am
Delta also allows cats. Smile
It's the airline we will probably take since Continental does not have flights to Anchorage from Salt Lake City.

from the delta airlines site:

Quote:
Pets permitted in the cabin include dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs. Monkeys, pot-bellied pigs, reptiles, frogs, mice, rats, and spiders are not permitted.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:44 am
No spiders - well forget it I am not flying Delta again!

I do believe my friend flew Continental.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:40 pm
One more airline off my list.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:43 pm
Doesn't the military fly families anymore? Haven't been around it in (gulp) 20 years, but my sister used to transfer that way when her husband got re-assigned. Or, is that just for overseas?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:44 pm
What did it for you bethie, the ferrets? Smile
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:50 pm
Quote:
Doesn't the military fly families anymore? Haven't been around it in (gulp) 20 years, but my sister used to transfer that way when her husband got re-assigned. Or, is that just for overseas?

Alaska is basically considered overseas, I think. I know I had to do the overseas health screening and several other things just like those going to Korea.

Yes, they still fly dependents, but at the rate of whatever it costs from here to anchorage. And mr. J just wants to make sure what changes with that because we need the extra money we get from traveling (amount is a lot larger than actual cost). We don't get as much if my traveling day is one day, no hotel, no food, etc.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. Smile
0 Replies