Has anyone taken their cat on a plane?

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:07 am
I'm having so much trouble deciding what I should do...

How do cats use the bathroom if they're in the very back cabin?

If she's small enough to ride with the passenger (me), ...how again could she use the bathroom?

I'm not comfortable with giving an animal a sedative since it's usually not recommended AT ALL for airplanes because it's not a good combo, and I've read many horror stories. Most of the time, I only hear of people safely recommending a little benadryl.

This would be for a very long flight to Alaska

I'm thinking we will have to drive, but I'm just double-checking my options since I will be 7 1/2 months pregnant.

The small dog will already be in the passenger seat with me (under it), but I know they allow 2 per person. Kinda crappy that anyone/I would be taking up someone else's space under the seat. I know I use it for foot space.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,981 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:28 am
I have not, but a friend of mine has. I don't remember her saying anything about the bathroom situation. She flew from east coast to west coast with her two cats.

One thing you should do though is as soon as possible, contact the airlines if you are planning on bringing your pets, especially as "carryon". They limit the amount of animals allowed on each flight as a carryon and I would not recommend having them in the cargo area as there is just too much a chance of problems.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:30 am
Sneak in the airport at night and duct tape the cat to the underside of the wing.

It will be a hell of a ride for the cat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:31 am
they can be freeze dried very nicely and then reconstituted on arrival. We always use milk.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:36 am
I called one airline (Continental), and they said they allow 2 animals TOTAL for the entire flight. But, I'll be going to Alaska during an off-season sorta speak ...and can go any time/day within a certain time frame. So, I feel confident that there will be a flight open w/no animals. I figure the people in Alaska mostly want to bring over their BIG dogs in the back cabin anyway (which don't count towards in-cabin). Wink

She falls a few oz. below the max weight limit (cat), which is good.. but the back cabin seems like the most ideal since ...there's probably cat litter involved? Not to mention, she's a meow'er unless I stick my finger in the crate the entire flight.

She probably has the least amount of anxiety among our animals. The back cabin doesn't scare me, as I trust the airlines, and know how many thousands go every year.... it's just the comfort of our cat I'm worried about when it comes to dying to pee/toot. They temperature should be perfect before take off (before they regulate the temp).
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:37 am
Hopefully gus and farmerman don't have any children. Wink Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:38 am
Not any more.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:42 am
Havent seen mine around for quite a while. Glad you reminded me.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:52 am
What are you doing with Yuki Jao? He's too big for
under the seat. Will you be flying alone with the cat and
the little dog?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:54 am
Yeah, if we did this ...Yuki would travel with Mr. J in a car. Smile

I think I'm going to end up going with them in a car because I already told him I WANT TO GO 1,000,000,000 times but I'm starting to wish I wasn't.

I think he tells personnel that we won't need a plane ticket today, anyways.

I'm going to die of boredom and covered with varicose veins. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:58 am
Then maybe he should take the cat too and you take
the little dog in the plane. This will be enough excitement
for you - being 7 months pregnant, your luggage and
a dog.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:01 am
That's what he wants to do but... he couldn't handle the cat. He'd go bonkers hearing her SCREAM for 10 days. If I go in the car with him, the cat won't scream, and he won't kill himself in an accident because the cat sits on the gas pedal.

in crate = very annoying scream nonstop plus 10 day drive + 12 days = unfair to cat
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:04 am
Oh, Jesus. How about you don't take either the dog or the cat on the plane with you and think about the other HUMAN BEINGS that might be around you and might not appreciate being stuck in a metal tube for hours and hours with the crazy lady and her annoying dog or cat?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:14 am
Quote:
Kinda crappy that anyone/I would be taking up someone else's space under the seat. I know I use it for foot space.

I've already made note that it was one of my concerns which is why I am asking for advice/talking it out on here.

2) I don't know too many people who wouldn't want my dog around them. She would never leave her crate and never moves in it. Holds it for 14 hrs daily (freely..she has access to outside if she wanted). She is good for people that are allergic as she has very low dander, and is non-shedding.

3) Even though I've made note of it... this is a flight to ALASKA ...of all places... and during a season that isn't too active. I would bet all I had that there would be more than one seat open, thus allowing me to change my seat and have an empty seat next to me.

4) Regarding the cat - My question was really more geered to the back cabin since I noted she meows w/o my finger in the crate.

5) bahhhhhhh to you. Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:18 am
I've always wanted to toss a cat OUT of a plane.....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:20 am
Joahaeyo, ignore kicky. He probably annoys more people with his strange noises when traveling than a little soft meowing. Over the noise of the plane, you probably could barely hear a kitty meowing.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:20 am
Things I like about cats

Their fur is soft.

I bet a cat throw would be pleasant while watching a movie in my favorite chair.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:25 am
Smile

I just looked and they do have a flight that is 9 1/2 hours. Flying time is a little less. The 9 1/2 is total flight time (including the delay between another flight).

Seems like the total flight time ranges from 9 1/2 - 13 hrs. Not sure if I get to choose with the military WHAT flight I take.

That doesn't seem too bad (leaving the cat back-cabin). She'll be pissed at me for days, but I'm sure she'll like her new house. Here at the place we're at now, it's so small and has no windows to look out of.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:27 am
rent an RV. You can lie down, the cat and dog can be kept in another room, and itll cost about as much as a plane ticket.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:35 am
If there was someone with a cat on the same plane with me, I'd ask to have them both moved to storage.
0 Replies