Spending on Ukraine vs. Spending on Russian Oil

gollum

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2022 04:27 am
For the period from Russia's attack on Ukraine until today:

Have Western nations spent more buying Russian oil and gas than they have spent on Ukraine's defense?

Or vice versa?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 442 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hightor

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2022 05:03 am
I think so.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2022 05:20 am
@gollum,
This is one of the main things Putin was counting on, that the West was so dependent on his oil that they would abandon Ukraine. He's still counting on it.
gollum

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2022 07:16 am
@engineer,
Also, on a related subject, I believe we continue to allow Russian citizens to visit and live in the U.S. This allows them to spy on us and obtain other benefits. I think we should order all Russian citizens to leave the U.S.

I would not allow U.S. citizens to be dual citizens with another country. Each person would make his choice.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2022 09:28 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I would not allow U.S. citizens to be dual citizens with another country. Each person would make his choice.

I think that might already be the case, but it only works if the other country agrees.

Iran for example already considers its emigres citizens which is why they often get locked up on return.

Many countries are also relaxed about dual citizenship, Boris Johnson only denounced his American citizenship to avoid American taxes.

gollum

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2022 12:57 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush-

"Iran, for example, already considers its emigres citizens."

Does this mean that if an Iranian citizen moves to the U.S., then becomes a U.S. citizen, that if he then returns to Iran, he will be arrested
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2022 01:34 pm
@gollum,
In theory not unless they've committed a crime, but with the current regime who knows?

Siamak Namazi is currently being held on espionage charges which he denies.

He's just one there's loads, wikipedia has a page on foreign nationals detained in Iran.

There are a lot of Americans.
0 Replies