Lovatts Colossus No.99 Stinker & BAFFLER

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:08 am
It's not due in until 8th Sept so I have some time but am stuck on 286A:Pre Columbian Mexican Indian. T?L??C is the best I can do at the moment. Another hardie (for me) is 290A:Love letter (6-4) B?L?ET-DOU?
I figure if I don't ask I will never find out. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,733 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Vonda1941

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:36 am
I've found the answer to my question re Love Letter. The answer was BILLETDOUX. 296A:"Adjusted (typeface spacing)" is getting me down. I've got K??NED.
0 Replies

scuby911

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:26 am
Hi, TOLTEC is the pre columbian mexican indian
Hope this helps.... Laughing
0 Replies

scuby911

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:28 am
Adjusted typeface is KERNED....
0 Replies

carditel

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:29 am
Adjusted ----- KERNED
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:01 pm
BAFFLER: "Tokyo inn". I was trying so hard to do this puzzle without crying out for help, but this one has got me euchred or stumped .. whatever. This is the best I can come up with> R?O?AN. Can someone help me pretty please? Sad
0 Replies

scuby911

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 02:25 am
Hi the answer is ryokan
Hope this helps... Laughing
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:04 am
Thanks heaps. That did the trick alright. Much appreciated. I sure landed on my feet when I found this site. Drunk
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 01:57 am
Just found this site while looking for an answer to a Lovatt's crossword. Have never used a site like this so hope I'm doing this right. Am hoping some other Lovatt fan can help me with the answer to 207 Across Renege from Stinker No 99. I have ?efo?l?. That is of course if I have the correct answers to the surrounding clues! Would appreciate any help! Ta!
0 Replies

Val22

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 02:32 am
Lovatts stinker 99
I have selected 'DEFAULT' for 207A. I believe that the answer to 188D is 'LEDA', ending in A. Perhaps you can assisist me with the answer you have for 208D (F???N??A) and maybe 217A (RA?????DED)
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:04 am
207A: DEFAULT
188D: LEDA
208D: FOOTNOTE
217A: RAILROADED
250A: ALAMEIN (that gives you the E at the end of FOOTNOTE and not an A)
If I am wrong I sure hope someone out there sets me straight ASAP. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:02 pm
Thankyou, I had Leto for 188dn. My answer for 208dn is FOOTNOTE as I have ALAMEIN for 250ac. My answer for 217ac is RAILROADED. Hope they're right! Thanks again!
0 Replies

Val22

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 03:20 am
Re: Lovatts stinker 99
Val22 wrote:
I have selected 'DEFAULT' for 207A. I believe that the answer to 188D is 'LEDA', ending in A. Perhaps you can assisist me with the answer you have for 208D (F???N?TE) and maybe 217A (RA?????DED)
0 Replies

Val22

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 03:26 am
Thanks. Your replies have been really helpful. It seems so easy in retrospect. I had corrected the A at end of footnote and had the T in there but was still not getting the word.
How is the restof it going for you?
0 Replies

Val22

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 03:30 am
Thanks. Your replies have been really helpful. It seems so easy in retrospect. I had corrected the A at end of footnote and had the T in there but was still not getting the word.
How is the restof it going for you?
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 05:54 am
Lovatts BAFFLER Colossus 99
Just about finished with this one. Only trouble is, my answer to Muslim faith:ISLAM does not tally with Star Wars Princess: LEAH. The H in LEAH classes with ISLAM. Muslin faith:ISLAM just HAS to be correct, and Star Wars Princess: LEAH also has to be correct. I cannot believe someone at Lovatts has made a mistake so I am wrong somewhere. Is anyone else having the same problem? Was there more than one Princess in Star Wars? Shocked
0 Replies

scuby911

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:46 am
Hi princess leia is what you are after spelt differently to what we would expect.
Hope this helps Laughing
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:02 am
I'm stuck on a few words from the Baffler:
"Drink" - I have B?B (from Rupert BROOKS & UMBRIA)
"International" - TES? (PESETA, EDDY & MISO)
"Asian medicinal tree" - NSE? (ARDEN, BROOKS & BRIE

With the "OneAcross" site out of action I've lost one of my crossword solving resources Crying or Very sad

Hope someone can help Very Happy
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 01:45 pm
for BAFFLER Colossus 99
DRINK: BIB (think "imbibe" 'to drink')
INTERNATIONAL:TEST
ASIAN MEDICINAL TREE:NEEM
to find out more info on TEST & NEEM, I suggest you type those words in Google, which is what I did to confirm those answers. It's always good to have a back up when "OneAcross" is down, which is why A2K is my first port of call now. Very Happy
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 08:22 pm
Thanks Vonda, I don't know why I wrote down "BrookS" for the poet when it's "BrookE". (I got that from Google, too - and wrote the wrong letter down myself). I thought of "test" for the other one, knowing how many cricket clues Lovatts mags usually have - but decided against it! [Not a cricket fan] Cool

Has anyone here in Aust bought the new BIG yet? I'll be getting it on Tues (when I can afford it). I think I've won something - a card was put into my PO box on Wed advising of a package to pick up - I didn't see it until last night - and I'm not expecting anything (unless my son in Qld has sent me something).

Lovatts prizes seem to arrive the day the mag with the winners list hits the streets, which has been a Wed for a couple of years now, even though they're not due out until Thurs. I'm doing a TAFE course and haven't got around to even seeing the front cover of Sept Big yet! My name's Sue Hayes. I'd be VERY grateful if someone could put me out of my misery. I won't be able to check it myself until almost 4pm tomorrow. Sad
0 Replies