Dual Citizenship and Voting

gollum

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 06:56 am
Can U.S. citizens who are also citizens of a foreign country (e.g., Israel) vote in both country's elections?

Can they make donations to a candidate for elective office in the U.S.?

Can they make donations to a SuperPAC supporting a candidate for elective office in the U.S.?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 310 • Replies: 10

View best answer, chosen by gollum
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 07:29 am
@gollum,
US citizens can vote and donate regardless of other affiliations. Other countries vary.
gollum

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 07:57 am
@engineer,
There is an organization named The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). It lobbies for pro-Israel policies to the legislative and executive branches of the United States.

Its SuperPAC financially supports candidates for Congress who refused to certify the 2020 election.

In the Primary for Maryland's 4th Congressional District, the subject Super PAC ran nearly $6 million worth of advertising in the July 2022 primary election.

The other candidate received almost half of his campaign contributions from donors associated with AIPAC.

Edwards was also supported by $720,000 from the J Street SuperPAC which is interested in the Israel-Palestine conflict.

It appears to me that donors to SuperPACs supported by dual citizens may have determined the election outcome.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 11:53 am
@gollum,
Are you talking about Donna Edwards?
gollum

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 11:59 am
@glitterbag,
Yup
glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 12:06 pm
@gollum,
Are you thinking Donna Edwards is Jewish? And she didn't hold any elected seat in 2020.
gollum

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 12:49 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag-

No!

She is African-American. I guess she is Christian..

So she's a nice African American lady running for Congress from a district in Maryland. Maryland is in the United States. The district is about 52% black. I don't think it is heavily Jewish.

She just lost the primary. I think her loss was affected (determined?) by the money spent by super PACs in the district election. I am told that dual citizens of Israel-United States may donate to Super PACs.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 02:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Gollum has a point. Pro Israel groups have invested a lot of money in making sure the Democrat candidates look favoueably on Israel.

It's not about whether or not they're Jewish, it's about if they'll continue turning a blind eye to Israel's cruel treatment of the Palestinians, like Biden did with the murder of journalist Shireen Abu Akleh by the IDF.

It's not about being Jewish at all. I'm sure they'd love to replace Bernie Saunders with someone who isn't as concerned about human rights.

They don't have to worry about the Republicans, a mixture of Christian fundamentalism and American Hegemony keeps them fervently supporting Israel come what may.

A foreign power is influencing your Democracy in its favour. Such behaviour is illegal over here.
gollum

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 03:41 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush-

It is illegal for the campaign fund of a candidate for U.S. elective office to take a contribution from a non-U.S. citizen. If a person is a U.S. citizen and an Israeli citizen, I am told he may contribute to a candidate for U.S. elective office.

I guess SuperPACs may only receive funds from U.S. citizens (who may be dual citizens).

I'm not a lawyer and am unsure of my facts.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2022 03:48 pm
@gollum,
I understand these groups don't directly fund the candidate themselves, they pay for a huge media campaign that supports them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 01:51 am
Democrat Andy Levin, a self described Zionist, who is Jewish, is being targetted by Aipac for not being pro Israel enough.

Lot's of Aipac's money comes from wealthy Trump supporters.
0 Replies