Sudanese find peace?

Tico

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:28 am
True.

But I did qualify it. I said "IF" the situation was like Rwanda, meaning that if one side sees the French as not neutral, then sending them into the fray, no matter how eager they are (which brings up its own suspicions), is dangerous.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:25 pm
UN takes over with what will become the largest peace-keeping mission ever.....

BBC

Quote:
The force, Unamid, which replaces the African Union mission, is supposed to become the world's largest peacekeeping force with 26,000 troops.

The commander of the 7,000-strong AU force swapped his green beret for the blue one of the UN at a ceremony.

Sudan has been accused of blocking the full deployment of the force.

It insists that only African and Muslim troops can take part, while contributing countries have been slow to offer the helicopters seen as vital to the force's ability to move around and quell the violence.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:38 pm
littlek wrote:
UN takes over with what will become the largest peace-keeping mission ever.....

BBC

Quote:
The force, Unamid, which replaces the African Union mission, is supposed to become the world's largest peacekeeping force with 26,000 troops.
The commander of the 7,000-strong AU force swapped his green beret for the blue one of the UN at a ceremony.

Sudan has been accused of blocking the full deployment of the force.

It insists that only African and Muslim troops can take part, while contributing countries have been slow to offer the helicopters seen as vital to the force's ability to move around and quell the violence.

Hope springs eternal, huh?

I think the whole operation exists on the suferance of the government of northern (kartoum) Sudan. If that's the case, and feel free to contradict me, it is never going to be permitted to become an effective force. In any case, I do not think the helicopters need for the region are going to become available
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:44 pm
Yep Roger, I have to have hope. I know in my gut that this genocide is sanctioned by the government there. And that you are right about change. But, every step is a new step.

Happy New Year.
0 Replies