[answered] Is there a word limit on posts?

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 01:03 pm
I have tried twice to post in the Original Writing Forum, a new topic.
My submission runs to about a thousand words. After typing the text, when I "submit" I discover that something has caused me to become logged off. It may be my server, but thought I ask you if space or time is limited on the whole site. I guess I probably had been typing my text for as long as an hour. Too long?

Well, if so, can one copy an MSN Word file into a post, like one does with an e-mail? I'm not very knowledgable, I'm afraid.

Hope you can answer my question.

thanks, newbie carlotta
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 629 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mac11

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 01:11 pm
Hi carlotta, welcome to a2k.

I'm pretty sure that there is no word limit here. I've seen posts much longer than 1000 words.

It sounds like you're getting logged off due to the long time between activity on the site. Yes, you can copy and paste from Word or Wordpad, etc.

Also, when you log in to a2k, there a little box that says "stay logged in" or something like that. If you click it, you'll be logged in until you log off.
0 Replies

carlotta

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 03:24 pm
Many thanks, mac11 -
I'll keep trying.

carlotta
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 03:28 pm
One thought, carlotta; if you set your options to have yourself logged in automatically, you're much less likely to see yourself logged off, it that is indeed the problem, and it sounds like it is.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:39 pm
I am not an expert, but I've seen some posts split in several sections--the original entry, then more original entry and then more original entry.

If dogged doesn't do it you might try installments.
0 Replies

carlotta

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:17 pm
all suggestions tried, nothing seems to work!

I fear that it is something in my machine. it often has a mind of its own.

I've just typed the same 1000 word story three, THREE, times. I can't tell when I'm being logged off either. The last effort seemed perfect - when I pressed submit, the entry went somewhere. You know that little blue line that tells when it's being saved - it showed activity. But immediately I was sent back to the log-in mode. And my submission was gone in a poof.

Well, I am bone-tired and discouraged. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for help,

Carlotta
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:33 pm
Well, at least take your own suggestion, and save the story in Word. You can then copy and paste.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 11:32 pm
Sometimes I take a long while to formulate responses and sometimes I get interrupted in the middle of a reply and have to leave the computer for awhile....

What I have learned to do is this: Finish your post and then highlight the entire thing and press Ctrl C to save it. Then I hit the submit button and if it comes back to the logon screen I hit the back tab up at the top and it automatically takes me back to a blank "post a reply" page. I set my cursor at the top left, hit Ctrl V to paste and there is the whole post already re-written out for you. THEN hit submit and it should work.

It's been awhile since I've had to do that, so I am hoping I told you correctly. Good luck and don't give up!
0 Replies