Cauliflower, Cauliflower how I love thee!

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 02:37 pm
I used to detest this vegetable. It seemed ruin many mixed veggies sides. Then one day recently I had it as some sort of Kung Pao appetizer at a restaurant and now I am sold.

Just saw this Cauliflower steak recipe - I think I might just need to make it for supper tonight -

What are your uses for recently much more popular vegetable.

Mame

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 08:14 pm
@Linkat,
I love Cauliflower bites. You can vary the flavours (i.e. Vietnamese, Sicilian, etc.) and they add so much to your meal.

My son rices cauliflower and uses it instead of potatoes.

I recently had a dish at a dim sum restaurant that was roasted baby eggplant with a shrimp/scallop puff on top. Every time my neighbour and I go there, I order two - one for home, of course! I usually look for recipes when I love something from a restaurant but haven't in this case. Thanks for the reminder that I should do so.

It's funny with food - I like raw sweet peppers, but not cooked green peppers. I'll eat tomatoes a variety of ways, but I don't like them in a salad (makes everything too soggy). I had a Reuben the other day, but wouldn't eat sauerkraut otherwise. Weird.
Linkat

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 08:28 pm
@Mame,
Funny I am very particular about fruit. For instance as much as I like veggies there are few fruits I like. Fruit cannot be cooked in any way or tortured in any way.. No pies, no jams, no deserts..I pretty much like fruits only in their natural states ..aside from a few exceptions. And then the fruit needs to be very fresh...no mushy stuff.

I have so many rules about and exceptions surrounding fruits of what i would and would not eat it would make your head spin.
Linkat

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 08:30 pm
@Linkat,
I'd say it is likely to my tastes I prefer savory to sweet foods.
Mame

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 08:53 pm
@Linkat,
Yes, me, too... savoury all the way! And I've never seen my husband eat a piece of fruit so I don't buy too much of it. I love berries but hate their seeds as they stick in my teeth.

He won't eat tomatoes (unless it's a sauce), onions (unless they're sautéed until they're soft), any kind of pepper (unless it's hot), turnips, squash (unless it's in a soup)... and on and on. I've gone off cooked carrots recently although I did put some in a stew. I also detest any kind of powdery bean (but I will puree them and add them to a chili).
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 09:07 pm
@Mame,
I have gradually developed a deep dislike for cooked green pepper.....I like it raw, I like a lot of veggies raw....but not lima beans, cooked or uncooked...bleech...
Mame

Reply Fri 20 May, 2022 09:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah, funny how our tastes change. I read somewhere a long time ago that our taste buds are replaced every 10 days or so. Not sure if that's true, but it can explain a lot.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 03:58 am
And, incidentally, "cauliflower has been noticed by mathematicians for its distinct fractal dimension, calculated to be roughly 2.8. One of the fractal properties of cauliflower is that every branch, or "module", is similar to the entire cauliflower. Another quality, also present in other plant species, is that the angle between "modules," as they become more distant from the center, is 360 degrees divided by the golden ratio." (Wikipedia)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 07:52 am
I will eat cauliflower if it is on the plate before me, but it's not a priority to have any. I like my vegetables raw and sometimes lightly steamed.
hightor

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 08:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Lightly steamed cauliflower is my preferred cooking method.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 09:09 am
I am making that eggplant shrimp dish today. Yum.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 09:26 am
One of my favorite recipes for cauliflower.

Easy Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower

Quote:
Ingredients

5 cups cauliflower florets
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley, if desired

1 Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 15x10x1-inch pan with cooking spray.
2 In large bowl, mix cauliflower, olive oil, salt, black pepper and red pepper; toss to combine. Spread in pan.
Roast 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and golden brown. Remove from oven; toss with Parmesan cheese and lemon peel. Garnish with chopped parsley.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 11:07 am
I would just stick it in a ruby.
Mame

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 11:36 am
@izzythepush,
What's a ruby?
roger

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 11:53 am
I've seen cauliflower more than once. I was not tempted.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 01:12 pm
@Mame,
Ruby Murray, curry.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 01:17 pm
@jcboy,
Nice. I bet that would go well using riced cauliflower.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 02:52 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I recently had a dish at a dim sum restaurant that was roasted baby eggplant with a shrimp/scallop puff on top.

Read that first as 'roasted baby elephant.'
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 02:58 pm
@jcboy,
Had the "steaks" last night they turned out well although I added aiolo sauce that really added to it.

I might try this recipe later u have half of the head left sounds simple and favorful.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 21 May, 2022 03:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I've seen cauliflower more than once. I was not tempted.

That was exactly what I thought until I tried that time at the restaurant
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cauliflower, Cauliflower how I love thee!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:26:58