Male/female alternating story word game!

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 08:17 am
Here is a new word game, suggested by Roger's wonderful post about an actual example of such a beast. For those who have not read the post, here it is:

"I think Misti sent this to me. I'm giving it back.

Remember the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"? Well, here's an example offered by an English professor at an American University.
"Today we will experiment with a new form called the tandem story. The process is simple. Each person will pair off with the person sitting to his or her immediate right. One of you will then write the first paragraph of a short story. The partner will read the first paragraph and then add another paragraph to the story. The first person will then add a third paragraph, and so on back and forth. Remember to re-read what has been written each time in order to keep the story coherent. There is to be absolutely NO talking and anything you wish to say must be written on the paper. The story is over when both agree a conclusion has been reached."
The following was actually turned in by two of my English students Rebecca - last name deleted, and Gary - last name deleted.
-------------------------------------------------------------
STORY: (first paragraph by Rebecca)
At first, Laurie couldn't decide which kind of tea she wanted. The chamomile, which used to be her favorite for
lazy evenings at home, now reminded her too much of Carl, who once said, in happier times, that he liked chamomile. But she felt she must now, at all costs, keep her mind off Carl. His possessiveness was suffocating, and if she thought about him too much her asthma started acting up again. So chamomile was out of the question.
-----------------------------------------------
(second paragraph by Gary)
Meanwhile, Advance Sergeant Carl Harris, leader of the attack squadron now in orbit over Skylon 4, had more important things to think about than the neuroses of an air- headed asthmatic bimbo named Laurie with whom he had spent one sweaty night over a year o. "A.S. Harris to Geostation 17, he said into his transgalactic communicator. "Polar orbit established. No sign of resistance so far..." But before he could sign off, a bluish particle beam flashed out of nowhere and blasted a hole through his ship's cargo bay. The jolt from the direct hit sent him flying out of his seat and across the cockpit.
--------------------------------
(Rebecca)
He bumped his head and died almost immediately but not before he felt one last pang of regret for psychically brutalizing the one woman who had ever had feelings for him. Soon afterwards, Earth stopped its pointless hostilities towards the peaceful farmers of Skylon 4. "Congress Passes Law Permanently Abolishing War and Space Travel," Laurie read in her newspaper one morning. The news simultaneously excited her and bored her. She stared out the window, dreaming of her youth, when the days had passed unhurriedly and carefree, with no newspapers to read, no television to distract her from her sense of innocent wonder at all the beautiful things around her. "Why must one lose one's innocence to become a woman?" she pondered wistfully.
-----------------------------------------------
(Gary)
Little did she know, but she had less than 10 seconds to live. Thousands of miles above the city, the Anu'udrian mothership launched the first of its lithium fusion missiles. The dimwitted wimpy peaceniks who pushed the Unilateral Aerospace Disarmament Treaty through the congress had left Earth a defenseless target for the hostile alien empires who were determined to destroy the human race. Within two hours after the passage of the treaty the Anu'udrian ships were on course for Earth, carrying enough firepower to pulverize the entire planet. With no one to stop them, they swiftly initiated their diabolical plan. The lithium fusion missile entered the atmosphere unimpeded. The President in his top-secret Mobile submarine headquarters on the ocean floor off the coast of Guam, felt the inconceivably massive explosion, which vaporized poor, stupid, Laurie and 85 million other Americans. The President slammed his fist on the conference table. "We can't allow this! I'm going to veto that treaty! Let's blow 'em out of the sky!"
---------------------------------------------------------
(Rebecca)
This is absurd. I refuse to continue this mockery of literature. My writing partner is a violent, chauvinistic semiliterate adolescent.
---------------
(Gary)
Yeah? Well, you're a self-centered tedious neurotic whose attempts at writing are the literary equivalent of Valium. "Oh shall I have chamomile tea? Or shall I have some other sort of F*CKING TEA??? Oh no, I'm such
an airheaded bimbo who reads too many Danielle Steele novels."
--------------------------------------------------------
(Rebecca)
Asshole.
(Gary)
Bitch.
----------------------------------------------------------
(Rebecca)
Wanker.
-------------------------------------------------------
(Gary)
Slut.
-------------------------------------------------------
(Rebecca)
Get f*cked.
(Gary)
Eat ****.
--------------------------------------------
(Rebecca)
F*CK YOU - YOU NEANDERTHAL!!!
----------------------------
(Gary) Go drink some tea - whore.
(Teacher) A+ - I really liked this one."

So - I am suggesting that we post a story in alternating male/female order - using the honour system!

Who will begin? Hmmmmmmmmmm?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 22,277 • Replies: 236
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 08:26 am
Oh smeg it - I suppose I ought to be brave and get this sucker off the ground....Hmmmmmmmmm.

It was pitch dark when Susan was jerked awake suddenly - by what means the jerking occurred she was unable to determine - but her room was lit by the hectic, actinic glare of lightning and beside her on the bed the cats were alert and anxiously staring, in that stretched neck, whiskery way cats have, towards the balcony....

ok - boy next!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 10:21 am
Bill, awakened in the middle of the night by those damn meddlesome cats, quietly left the bedroom, visited the loo and then headed to the kitchen to quench his thirst and look for a something to nibble on. He muttered beneath his breath again about how he detested those cats. Yes, they were "her" cats and he knew she loved them dearly but they had fleas and the mange. How anyone could allow such pittifully kept pets in the house was beyond him.

Leaning forward to reach for a glass he jumped in horror as his foot landed in some squishy mess in the floor. The thought of yet ANOTHER hairball popped immediately into his head and, yanking his foot back, he slammed his heel into the island. Trying to contain the scream welling in his throat he reached over and flicked on the hallway lightswitch.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 09:12 pm
For a real game of chance get married.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 09:13 pm
He was soon able to make out, in the reflected light, the shape of the hideously hairy, monstrous, fanged tarantula - (engulfed and spat out by some cargo or other to wander in a strange land and finally end up in this place) - lying wet, soggy and dead where the heroic cats had left it after their fearless battle to protect their humans from harm!

Chagrined, Bill.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 09:15 pm
Hello Algis - care to add to the story?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 09:35 pm
Bill swore softly under his breath. "Damnation! Where in hell that piece of garbage come from? A tarantuala in Northern New Jersey? Never seen one before." He recalled he had seen plenty of tarantulas in the feotid jungles of the Yucatan peninsula when he'd been... Well, he let that thought die a natural death, shaking his head to clear it. He didn't like to remember or think about the Yucatan.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 09:25 am
Meanwhile Susan, alerted by her cats' behaviour, listened tensely - straining to hear what, apart from the thunder, had awoken both her and the cats....

She dismissed as normal the sounds of Bill, muttering and cursing to himself, as he so often did in the early hours of the morning, from the kitchen.... although she did take a moment to wonder if he was, in his mind, once again visiting the foetid jungles of Yucatan, whose horrors preyed so much upon him-not least in the form of the post-traumatic-stress-induced fixed delusion that her gleaming, healthy cats shared the horrid skin condition and the fleas of the huge Yucatan rats that haunted his nightmares....she reserved a tiny corner of her alert mind to wonder if the new medication would help poor Bill with his night fears and scabrous delusions...

Then - there it was - the faintest sense of a presence....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 10:33 am
.. but she dismissed it quickly, knowing her female sensitivities always sensed such non-existent presences.

Meanwhile Bill was warming up a pan, he put some butter in it and scooped up the trantula with a spatula. He swore at himself for making that promise to himself long ago. The promise that silly Susan nearly forced on him to only kill animals that he would eat...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 11:30 am
Reassured - Susan turned over to go back to sleep. As she drifted off, the strangest image came to her while she was in that weird, wood-between-the-worlds, hypnagogic state - she saw, in her mind, the image of Bill sauteeing a tarantula.

Too tired to reject the ridiculous image, she had time only to wonder if he knew you must singe the hairs off tarantulas before they are edible, the hairs being a potent irritant, before she was asleep.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 12:16 pm
Sitting on top of the large cedar timber directly above the stove and the cook, the sizzling tarantula's family watched the unfolding events.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 06:39 pm
Unlike their mother, these young spiderlings had been born in the new country, and had become accustomed early to a world of hard, cold surfaces and eternal dryness.

As they watched the body that had sheltered and nurtured them for many days pop and sizzle in the hell below, they understood only one thing.....
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 06:57 pm
...anything with less than eight legs was not to be trusted. If they were to survive an, "us or them" attitude was going to be essential. And, beyond that, in order to ensure their security preemptive strikes would be necessary.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 08:05 pm
Susan. of course, lolling indolently under her soft coverlets, surrounded by her beloved cats, knew nothing of the drama that was unfolding not more than 20 meters from her bed. She turned over on her side and dreamt of mangoes, papayas and coconuts. She was homesick.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 08:17 pm
(Merry Andrew's a girl? Who knew?)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 08:18 pm
Lost my head, Soz. Forgot which gender's turn it was. Sorry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 08:25 pm
Lesse...

Susan, stroking the soft, glossy fur of one of her cats, wondered what on earth was taking Bill so long. He was always a restless sleeper, but his nocturnal wanderings were becoming more and more frequent. She stretched out on the bed, luxuriating in the space, and wondered if it would be so bad to have it all to herself all the time...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 08:50 pm
..but she had made so much progress with Bill recently, not a month ago she'd managed to extract from him a set of promises that any woman would be proud of. No, she couldn't let him go right now.

Bill grimaced at the dish he'd served himself. Reaching for the spice rack he wondered what went well with tarantula. One of the cats was grinning at him, Bill recognized the face. Susan called it the "I-know-something-you-don't face". A thought struck his mind, but he dismissed it quickly. It simply wouldn't be right to blame the tarantula's death on the cats. He was a man of his word, if he'd squashed it he'd follow through.

He cut off a leg , the cat was positively laughing by now. At least by cat standards, everything they do is up to your interpretation. Just as he was about to take a bite he felt somthing fall on his back. When he realized it was moving he...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 12:51 am
leapt several feet in the air, screaming like a banshee - half fearing it was another tarantula, though the possibility of this was so remote he dismissed it from his mind.

Susan's soft, melodious voice sounded in his ear - almost inaudible through the sound of his pounding blood: "What ARE you doing, darling?" she asked as she took her gentle hand away from his back, and then:"Why, you ARE cooking a tarantula! I had this crazy dream you were doing that - don't you know you have to singe the hairs off?"

Her large, deep blue eyes gazed at him with concern: "Are you sure this new medication is working? Really - you are doing the oddest things."

She hesitated - knowing that to say more was likely to unleash Bill's irrational, trauma-induced rage. She sighed - unsure what to do next, then...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 12:52 am
(Yay! Sozobe ROCKS! - another woman!)
0 Replies