Sitting here feeling grateful for what life has given me

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:46 pm
It's 95 degrees outside and a thunderstorm is coming. Last week during a storm we lost our power for about 5 hours and I'm hoping that doesn't happen again, cause it's hot and humid. Earlier today, my old dog Sadie came to me for a head scratch. She's 14 years old, a Vizsla, a little unsteady on her legs these days, maybe losing some of her hearing, but she is as wonderful a companion as she was when she was a puppy. My other old dog, Chloe, also 14, appears younger because she is not as stiff, but she definitely can't hear a lick. Mr. glitterbag and I got both of the dogs when they were about 2 months old and have enjoyed every minute of it. Occassionally, we both wonder, exactly how long will it be before these dogs depart this earth. That's a little hard to think about, but bet most pet owners feel the same way.

Sadie and Chloe are very fond of each other, they still play with each other and like to share a crate when they go to the groomer Neither one like to ride in the car unless it means riding home from the Vet's. They will huddle together in the back seat looking miserable until the trip is over. That, however, is my fault for not doing a better job of socializing them when they were young. They love it when repairmen or guests or neighbors drop in, and beg for attention as if they were starved. Sadie weighs about 60 pounds and until recent years would climb in your lap, droop her head over your shoulder, and just go to sleep. She is too stiff to do that anymore. Chloe is satisfied just being in the same room. Both dogs love to eat, however Sadie will eat her dinner right away and Chloe will wait hoping something better is coming along.

About 8 months ago, I noticed that Sadie seemed to be gaining weight and Chloe was losing weight (which sometimes bodes ill). I had the vet check them out and he said they were fine and instucted us to reduce Sadie's ration by a half cup in the evening. Months wore on and I didn't see much improvement. Then in May, I caught Sadie finishing off Chloe's dinner. Chloe can't hear anymore so she is busy doing lookout duty at the windows, and apparently Sadie would just wait until attention was diverted, tiptoe in and scarf Chloe's dinner down. I am sure she tiptoes because I never hear her on the wood floor where Chloe eats and her nails usually make a racket.

The sky is getting gray, it's probably going to rain so I'll stay here with my two lovely old ladies wait for mr. glitterbag to get home and enjoy the weekend. Perhaps there is something you are grateful for and would care to share it here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 970 • Replies: 18
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:47 pm
Excuse me, that should read "Sitting here" not "Sitting hear"
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:52 pm
what a great story glitterbag. i myself have a wonderful companion in bernard and i find myself often wondering, what i am going to do when he passes? after reading littlek's story about her dog, i sat and cried for her and just wanted to hug them both. so every chance i get, i curl up with bernard who loves to lay on his back with his head on my shoulder in the bed and snore. he is only 9 and god willing, i hope to have another good 6 years with him.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:56 pm
dragon49 wrote:
what a great story glitterbag. i myself have a wonderful companion in bernard and i find myself often wondering, what i am going to do when he passes? after reading littlek's story about her dog, i sat and cried for her and just wanted to hug them both. so every chance i get, i curl up with bernard who loves to lay on his back with his head on my shoulder in the bed and snore. he is only 9 and god willing, i hope to have another good 6 years with him.

i havent got a dog. it is no years old i do not take it for walks what is the meanin i ng of li fe
than
kyo
u
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:08 pm
Glitterbag--

You know you can edit your topic heading to correct the spelling? Just go to your first post and click on "Edit"--then make your changes in the little window.

I'm an expert at Oops Repair.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:31 pm
Noddy, I*'m doing something wrong because it won't let me edit? I'll get back after dinner and try it again. Thanks, GB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:52 pm
I've got a lot to be grateful for, and really nothing to complain about.
It's good to keep that in the mind each day.

I very much miss my Lulu, we were best friends. It was like losing a child.

There are so many good memories of her though, I'd love to believe she's a little soul out there who remembers being loved.

Damn, every time I write anything about her, I start to cry. I loved her very much, and she was always a very good girl. 20 years of love.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:10 pm
Noddy, the only thng that comes up on my edit button is a find command. It doesn't let me edit the title. I must be doing something wrong.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:12 pm
dragon49 wrote:

Aw, thanks for channeling the sympathy to your beloved Bernard.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:30 pm
Glitterbag--

Perhaps your editing is limited because of the intervening posts.

Ask the Help Desk. Click the "Report" button on the top right corner of the offending post, explain the problem, select "other" from the pull-down menu, click the box and submit.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 03:57 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Glitterbag--

Perhaps your editing is limited because of the intervening posts.

Ask the Help Desk. Click the "Report" button on the top right corner of the offending post, explain the problem, select "other" from the pull-down menu, click the box and submit.

Or better, ditch your dogs in a canal and forget the bother of editing any stories about them. I did and I feel great.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:23 am
I'm grateful there are people like Glitterbag to tell me stories about life's simple and good things.

Today I woke up really sad and missing the bf I said good-bye to just recently. I was missing him in my life, and it hurts to be happy right now.
I am going to my old best friends wedding today: I'm going alone. As I drink my morning coffee, I can't stop crying.
Coffee tastes good. I miss my friend: she's getting married. She has a baby I haven't seen. I will get to look at her at her most cherished moment, see her so beautiful and with the man she wants for life. I will get to smell that baby smell on her little boy. I will be able to look in his face and see her carried on into another life.
I bought myself expensive french perfume. It reminds me of my father: when he was alive he always brought home beautiful perfume for me. He had wonderful taste. He had curly hair like me, and I have his big gummy smile. When I laugh, my aunt gets a look in her eyes that shows she still misses him intensely.
I'm grateful to be alive. I'm grateful for my mum, who opens her heart to love every day even though she has watched those she loved suffer and pass away. She has been widowed twice at 46. My dad when I was 14, my step dad just last winter. I'm grateful I'm her daughter. I'm grateful for her bringing two wonderful men into my life.

thanks everyone.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:14 am
Noddy, I finally found the right button. I kept looking at the top of the screen instead of the actual post. So thanks a bunch....this could actually be dangerous.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 12:35 pm
I love happy endings.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 05:53 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I love happy endings.

Happy?
I'm Happy.
Who says I'm not happy?
Who you staring at ?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:33 am
Thank you John Jones. In case you were anxious, yes, we all noticed you. Give yourself a break, you are trying too hard.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 11:07 am
Glitter, For me its all related to the sense of smell. We were out with a small boat in a tidal marsh yesterday. We were looking for pitcher plants to photo. (My wife is doing a photo essay on indigenous plants ) We were coming through this area and all of a sudden , there was this waft of sweet grass. We stopped the boat and were sitting there smelling it when my wife said.
"Remember when we went to upper Bay and had that dinner of mussels in a wine and garlic broth"
There was a sweet grass meadow near the restaurant and we both had memories of the dinner and the day.

Often, in cool fall days, we will cook spaghetti and make an "all day gravy" that gets sweeter by adding more fresh tomatoes. Those cool "spaghetti" days with the smells of the drying corn and leaves are snippets of memory of really great times.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 11:43 am
The smell of honeysuckle
birthday candles
dogs rubber chew toys
myrrh
tea leaves
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:18 pm
Yes, smells are good too. Every time I smell Old Spice I think of my Dad, freeshly shaven. I remember the tobacco he smoked in his pipe. I haven't smelled honeysuckle in a long time, but I would know it if I ran accross it. Fresh laundry by my grandmother using a wringer washer. The whole basemant would be fragrent with the sweet smell of wet laundry waiting to be hung on the line.
0 Replies