A thing about speed limits!

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 01:33 pm
Each morning on my way to the golf course, I drive on an Interstate. The speed limit is 65 mph. Traffic invariably is moving at 75 – 80.

The moment I come up the ramp to the Interstate, I immediately accelerate to whatever speed traffic is moving. (There always are a few doing 65 in the right lanes, but I want to go with the flow in the outer lanes.)

Seems to me that driving at the speed traffic is setting for itself makes the most sense…and is the safest speed. Obeying the legal limit (if everyone is moving faster) is the poorer choice…the more dangerous choice for myself and for others on the road.

What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 621 • Replies: 24

engineer

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 02:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Agreed and data has shown that it is much more dangerous driving slower than the traffic flow that faster. Once upon a time, speed limits were set up at the 85% percentile of what the average person would drive. This works well on open roads and deviating from it causes problems since some people will follow the speed limit and some will drive at what they feel is a safe speed.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 02:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Driving too slowly winds up being dangerous, and irritates the other drivers. Sometimes aggravated drivers are more dangerous than the speeds
Mame

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 02:47 pm
I agree with all the above.

Ever notice how some people turn into complete dunces when they enter a mall parking lot?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 03:20 pm
Agreed as well ... But I laugh at my husband when he is driving and he gets angry when someone is driving below the speed limit...you idiot you're not even driving the speed limit. I laugh because if you hear what he is saying it is a. LIMIT, not a minimum.

I do realize people treat it more as a minimum but just how it comes out.

Mame

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 03:37 pm
@Linkat,
According to a traffic cop friend, it's the "recommended speed" and if someone was going 60 in a 90 zone, it'd piss everyone off. You can get ticketed for going too slow, right? Don't do that unless you have car trouble, in which case, put your hazards on so everyone could move into the faster lane.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 04:19 pm
@Linkat,
Here in the US legally it is the speed limit...the highways typically have a minimum which is usually 15 miles below the maximum... So one with a 60 mph max would be 45 mph min. But no one really follows it. But technically yeah you could get a ticket for going 62 mph on a 60 speed limit.
Mame

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 09:54 am
@Linkat,
Here they generally don't bother you if you are going about 10% over the posted speed limit except in school, park and construction zones.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 10:42 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Here they generally don't bother you if you are going about 10% over the posted speed limit except in school, park and construction zones.

Same - just technically you could get a ticket for any amount over the posted speed limit.

I usually just make sure that I am going slower than other people - that means I am still going 10+ miles over as we have speedsters around here.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 10:51 am

Thanks to everyone for all the input so far. Seems like a problem others encounter...and handle sorta like I do.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 11:43 am
The speed limit on motorways and duel carriageways is 70mph over here.

As far as being fined goes it depends.

If you get clocked by a speed camera or caught in a speed trap you will get fined.

Speed cameras are permanent fixtures, and they are in place where someone has been killed. They're like a permanent memorial.

Sometimes they run out of film, and that gets you off.

Speed traps are where the police stake out an area with cameras, usually during rush hour. You'll get caught then.

I have got a ticket for going at 36mph in a 30 mile area so there's not much leeway at all.

Having said that once I was bombing down the otorway at about 90mph when I spotted a policemen on a bridge coming up. I did start to brake, but didn't slow down much. The policeman just wagged his finger.

I think he was looking for those going at really crazy speeds. 90 didn't make the cut.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 12:20 pm
@izzythepush,
do you have "Waze" in the UK or something like it? I would imagine you would - there would be no reason not to have something like that.

It is an app on your phone that you use as a GPS - but it is over and above a normal GPS - when there is traffic ahead or an accident - it will give you an alternate route to avoid the traffic. It will also warn you on things like those traffic camera lights similar to what you are referring to - some places have these cameras that will snap a picture to get you trying to get through a yellow light when it turns red - you know those people who try to push the limit.

Anyway Waze will warn you ahead if there is a speed trap, traffic camera, or police so far ahead. It certainly helps in areas you are not familiar with. It also warns of traffic hazards like something in the road.
Mame

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 12:28 pm
@Linkat,
Whatever happened to Radar Detectors? My ex had one back in the '90s. It got stolen and he never replaced it. I wonder if there's an app for that.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 01:30 pm
@Linkat,
I have a Nokia, I use a map.

That's as far as my mobile technology goes.

I have a tablet, but I don't take it out.

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 01:32 pm
@Mame,
yeah I had one too. A radar Detector
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
If you drive alot especially distances Waze is pretty handy - I know going to get my daughter from college once - there was a big traffic jam - the app took us off the highway and we cut through these farm roads and then got back on the highway after we got past whatever was causing the traffic jam. It was awesome.

And it says things like police ahead so you know to slow down - also you can change the voice/character for fun - I have had the English accent, cookie monster, and now I have a dog voice.
Mame

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 01:38 pm
@Linkat,
Yes, I googled it after my last post here and there are a lot of them. I downloaded Waze, too, but there are 9 others that came highly recommended. I sent the link to my husband because he's always getting caught on the cameras, lol.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2022 07:28 am
Since I'm still working from home I rarely get on the freeway around here, you won't see much speeding, usually bumper to bumper traffic.
0 Replies

ausquery

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2022 10:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
That's Germany's Autobahn rules dude.

But that's a freeway, maybe less vehicle collision but be gta 5 on pedestrians I rkn.
Mame

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2022 10:35 am
@ausquery ,
ausquery wrote:

... but be gta 5 on pedestrians I rkn.

what the hell does that mean?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A thing about speed limits!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 04:54:59