10
   

Explain your nickname

 
 
hightor
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2026 05:23 am
High Tor is an 832' peak overlooking the Hudson River, the northernmost outcropping of the basaltic ridge which forms the Palisades.
https://s1.qwant.com/thumbr/474x316/3/d/e0382e59f2d875af99633a174c3ac753f3aa6b236ee6c6718ca2dec89f4423/OIP.J1l4rokxqCRIdEbZODC-IAHaE8.jpg?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse.mm.bing.net%2Fth%2Fid%2FOIP.J1l4rokxqCRIdEbZODC-IAHaE8%3Fpid%3DApi&q=0&b=1&p=0&a=0https://s2.qwant.com/thumbr/474x272/f/0/e3a66b4ce634bdd5012953128f9c0754d0e88b462d8a8ff9e2254f86e19265/OIP.wUESkoIULzwebZVd339oHgHaEQ.jpg?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse.mm.bing.net%2Fth%2Fid%2FOIP.wUESkoIULzwebZVd339oHgHaEQ%3Fpid%3DApi&q=0&b=1&p=0&a=0
I grew up very close to this summit and spent much of my childhood hiking in nearby woodlands. My first job was working at nearby High Tor Vineyards, one of the first vineyards on the East Coast to use French-American hybrid grapes as opposed to the native Concord or the classic European varietals, which were difficult to grow given the climate and the limited viticultural options in the mid-'60s. High Tor was a lookout point for the Lenape Indians, where they could spot approaching Adirondack war canoes, and when I was a kid, there was a beacon on the peak to warn aircraft. Its revolving red beam was a feature of the night sky. The view up and down the River is quite spectacular.
cmturner
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2026 06:33 am
I was edgarblythe here, but lost my account. Said what the hell and restarted with my real name.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2026 07:52 am
@hightor,
Tor is an old Anglo Saxon term.

In the UK it's rarely used in placenames anymore, hill being the most common by far.

The main exception is Glastonbury Tor, it has an old ruined church on top which makes it a very recognisable landmark.

(Sorry I can't post pictures on this device, well I probably can, but I'm damned if I can work out how to do it. I'm OK on the computer, just this bloody thing.)
0 Replies
 
jespah
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2026 04:26 pm
Jespah was the name of Elsa's first-born cub (although he was male) in Living Free, the sequel to Born Free. Jes can also be a nickname for my real first name.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How to use the new able2know - Discussion by Craven de Kere
New A2K feature requests. - Discussion by DrewDad
I'm the developer - Discussion by Nick Ashley
A2K censors tags? - Discussion by hingehead
New A2K Bugs - Discussion by sozobe
New A2K annoyances - Discussion by sozobe
The a2k world is changing 3: about voting - Discussion by Craven de Kere
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Welcome to the 'New' My Posts - Discussion by Nick Ashley
The "I get folksonomy" club - Discussion by Robert Gentel
 
Copyright © 2026 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.09 seconds on 10/09/2026 at 08:14:42
▲ ▼