Female Painters

Yalow

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2022 06:40 pm
Who is your favorite female painter? Mine is Marie Laurencin: she had her own style.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 904 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hightor

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2022 06:57 pm
@Yalow,
Helen Frankenthaler

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi1.wp.com%2Fwww.artnews.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F03%2FBefore-the-Caves-1958-Berkeley-Art-Museum.-2020-Helen-Frankenthaler-Foundation-Inc.-Artists-Rights-Society-ARS-New-York..jpg%3Fw%3D810%26is-pending-load%3D1%23038%3Bssl%3D1&f=1&nofb=1
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:59 am
Grandma Moses, Berthe Morrisot, Mary Cassat, Georgia O'Keefe, Emily Carr, a little of Maud Lewis' work, Daphne Odjig, Charlotte Solomon, Frieda Blell...
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 12:33 pm
@Mame,
Im COMPLETE NUT FOR THE WORKS OF k.kOLLWITZ.
Yalow

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 05:18 pm
https://awarewomenartists.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/marie-laurencin_portrait-de-madame-paul-guillaume_1928_aware_women-artists_artistes-femmes-591x750.jpg

I don't know how to copy the image. It's a painting I know Laurencin did, because I bought it as a postcard at the museum I visited in France. I also read her biography, I think by Flora Groult.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 05:26 pm
@Mame,
Berthe Morrisot, Mary Cassat, Georgia O'Keefe, Emily Carr : those I know.
Maud Lewis, Daphne Odjig, Charlotte Solomon, Frieda Blell: those I don't.
Grandma Moses : heard her name, but have no idea what her work looks like.
Lots of shearches to do...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 05:34 pm
I like Cindy Sherman - her portraits are funny!
I wouldn't mind owning a Frida Kahlo painting...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:43 pm
@farmerman,
Just had to look her up - pretty powerful! Wish I'd known when I was in Berlin that there is a museum dedicated to her. To see her works in person would be an unforgettable sight.
farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 09:06 am
@Mame,
many US and Canadian museums have representative collections of kollwitz work.(I remember a small but excellent collection at the Beaverbrook in Frereickton NB in Canadia.
her social commentary, through her art made her an enemy from pre WWI Germany through Hitler;s Reich.
farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 09:08 am
@farmerman,
Did Judy Chicago die? my wife is a big fan, me, im sorta metza metz
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2022 09:49 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

many US and Canadian museums have representative collections of kollwitz work.(I remember a small but excellent collection at the Beaverbrook in Frereickton NB in Canadia.
her social commentary, through her art made her an enemy from pre WWI Germany through Hitler;s Reich.

Yes, I read where she was threatened with a camp but she was apparently too well-known so they backed off. Her work is very powerful and she was quite focussed.
0 Replies