Women (and Girls) in Video Games

Yalow

Mon 28 Mar, 2022 05:37 pm
Let's make a list of the video games with a female main character, and tell me the one you prefer. Here I go ;

- Jill of the Jungle
- Freedom : First Resistance
- American McGee Alice
- Oni

My favorite : Tomb Raider
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,411 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

engineer

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 05:59 am
@Yalow,
Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West are probably the best I've played. You can find plenty of stories online about Aloy, the way she is represented and the reactions to it.

From the Wikipedia article
Quote:
Reception
Peter Tieryas of Kotaku praised the character of Aloy, finding the scene where Aloy talks to her father's grave moving in part due to how "real" their relationship felt and how it shows how things have changed for Aloy since her childhood.[5] Malindy Hetfield of Polygon praised Aloy as "inspiring and captivating", but also called her "not particularly relatable" compared to the game's other female characters due to her "flawlessness".[11] Aloy's story about her origins resonated with Sam Loveridge of GamesRadar+ and inspired her to seek out her own birth parents.[12] Lucas Sullivan of the same site called her "one of gaming's greatest female leads".[13] She was ranked as one of the best video game characters of the 2010s by Polygon staff by Colin Campbell praising the character by stating that "She's pragmatic but compassionate, iron-willed but open-minded. In a 31st-century world with its own norms and taboos, particularly around gender, Aloy refuses to let anyone else tell her how to live."[14] Paste magazine writer Holly Green included Aloy as the best new game characters of 2017.[15] TheGamer also included Aloy on their "Iconic Video Game Characters", stating that "Aloy is one of the best protagonists of the last decade, of which there are many to choose from, mostly because of her strong-willed nature and ability to act strong in difficult situations."[16]

Ashly Burch, the voice actress for Aloy, won an award for "best gaming performance" at the 35th Golden Joystick Awards. She thanked the developers, saying that playing the character made her a "braver and stronger woman", and that she hoped Aloy would be inspiring to other women.[17]
izzythepush

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 11:03 am
Lots of games allow you to create your own avatar so you can be whatever gender or race you want.
0 Replies

Yalow

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 01:19 pm
@engineer,
Thanks! I didn't know this game!
0 Replies

Yalow

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 01:26 pm
@engineer,
I went on Guerrilla Games website, and it seems to be only on PlayStation. I need it for PC.
engineer

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 01:30 pm
@Yalow,
You can play it on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1151640/
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Thu 2 Jun, 2022 07:43 pm
@Yalow,
Why does this matter? I mean their are so many out their the list goes on.

Malice is the canned X-box launch title. You could obviously see why.
Maria sisters is a Mario clone but girls ( they remade one for the NDS but it was lame from my understanding.
Beyond Good and Evil ( still being made ) was possible the greatest game on the earth. Just because the character is a girl.
Where is Carmen Sandie-ago and it's variants. I think they made one 3d game that was actually fun ( action wise ). Beyond that the tv series, a villion ( more then one ) that was women and fun.
"Shock Troopers" had playable female characters along with "Metal Slug"
"Rockman" ( both the PSP and fan made game "Rock n Roll" ).
Adventures of Miss Bonne Tron on the PSX ( really enjoy this ).
"Resident Evil" series ( not to mention always had ).
"Rumble Roses" ( the PS2 ) was the last good game. PS2 had many.
"Go Go Mischief/Trouble Makers" ( Every Treasure game is a hoot )
"Crash Bandicoot Remakes" ( Some have playable stages and alternate characters.
"Super Princess Peach" ( I guess on the NDS ). Again she was always idependent...oh wait that was Toadstool.
"Mirrors Edge"
"Metroid" all games.
"Psi-Ops" ( forget name but like Tomb Raider in late GCN/XBOX/PS2 days
"Splat" I think a game on the XBOX with PVC suite girl.
"Advent Rising" PSP ( this is a canceled game but levels in the PC game could be accessed as well. It had ( again had ) a mode where you could choose between a female and male protagonist. In fact your final enemy is changed based off the choice of gender your able to save during the beginning of the game itself. Part of this content was cut from the original game as it was meant to link up to the PSP game which was canceled. Really nice game. If it did have the female part she would have been a ship-captain/pilot.
"Perfect Dark" AKA the best FPS with no magical powers or martial arts using licensed James Bond weapons.
"Ghost 1.0" - which is a game about a stereotypical robot futuristic anime girl. You clear rooms and story progresses "Mini ghost" is a mini NES looking game with SNES/Arcade like levels.
"Haydee" - Like a perverted Metroid ( almost ) but they are all dolls and you spend most of your time looking at legs and body parts while gaining access to other dolls. The sequel is more about a real life person ( still a doll ) but now with bio-monsters roaming the halls.
"Lost Ruins" - really nice anime girl game similar to
"Pockey and Rocky" - Their are so many Magical girl games what makes this game different it is about a Shrine Maiden and her Racoon buddy, and later her accompanied by a replacement. Literally like "La blue girl" but a game.

So many of them out their. Honestly I find it stupid for anybody to care.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 2 Jun, 2022 08:41 pm
@Yalow,
Chell from Portals I and II
Samus Aran from the Metroid franchise
Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2 and Half-Life: Alyx
Faith Connors - Mirror's Edge
Maxine "Max" Caulfield, Life is Strange
Bella Goth, The Sims
Ummm...? Ms. Pacman??

What exactly is the point of making a random shotgun list as this?
0 Replies