Wiener Zeitung

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:29 am
book
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:31 am
what are you doing up at such ungodly hour, Joen?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:58 am
dagmaraka wrote:
what are you doing up at such ungodly hour, Joen?

He is here to 'book'. I am here to 'look'.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:56 am
perhaps joe n just wanted to notify us that a book dropped off his bed - are we supposed to pick it up and hand it back to him ? hbg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 04:41 am
Re: multicultural perhaps I gotta stake out what Im used to first. In Amsterdam, according to the last "State of the City", "At the start of 2004, 51% of the Amsterdammers was of Dutch origin, five years ago that was still 55%". Ergo, half the population is from abroad or was born to parents who were from abroad.

Unfortunately I cant find corresponding numbers for Vienna (and there is something to be said for not tracking people's origin, rather than just their nationality. Its just that since Holland has a lot of Surinamese and Antillean immigrants with the Dutch nationality, nationality numbers would only tell you half the story).

But according to these statistics from the city of Vienna, foreigners constituted 18% of the population in 2004.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:32 am
well, yes.... but that's amsterdam... all i'm asayin' is that vienna ain't that boring as i remembered it from 10 or so years ago. it might not be amsterdam, but it ain't pristine white no more either.

off to see 2 apartments. keep fingers crossed. when i find a good one, you better come see for yourself, nimh. that's an invitation, not a threat.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:09 am
heh ;-)

Would be happy to come round ... <smiles>

I only dragged in the numbers, btw, because i was getting to feel like y'all were circling around me, telling me i was making stuff up, was misguided, must just have outdated impressions (whereas i was in vienna twice for my work even in '03), etc. Wanted to point out where I'm coming from, comparatively. No biggie.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:31 am
Lovely travelogue Dag.
35 years ago when I went to visit my Oma and Opa in Vienna there were no young people anywhere to be found...
It seems the city is vibrant once again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 03:30 pm
You obviously were on the wrong places, panz: I didn't see any older persons at Vienna unversity and student pubs at that time :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:53 pm
I GOT AN APARTMENT TODAY!!!! Near Sudbanhof and all the palaces that nimh likes so much. but, more importantly, near the rings which feature bikepaths - a fun 15 minute commute to the institute. apartment has a little quaint backyard too! weee! go me!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 06:03 pm
Oh, daggy, that sounds fantastic. Perfect timing too, I must say.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 11:21 pm
Congrats - and really a bit lucky, too (?)!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 07:59 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Sudbanhof and all the palaces that nimh likes so much. but, more importantly,

Now its "all the palaces" I like so much ... Rolling Eyes God forgive me for ever saying I liked Schoenbrunn. Failed the snob test, I know.

Congrats anyway, Dag - sounds great. Really good news! Hope you'll really like it there.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:15 pm
Congrats Dag! I was just wondering where the hell you've been lately, and here I find you went and moved to Vienna! I forgot you were going there...so cool that you have your new place. I hope you enjoy it, kid.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:25 pm
Vienna still above water? BM
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:46 pm
Talked to my aunt the other day (who lives very, very to the Danube in suburbian Vienna: yesterday, they didn't think it to be THAT dangerous).

Both sisters-in-law live in Steyria, in a heavily flooded region ... but both families fortunately up on the mountains.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:10 pm
Isn't dag in India right now?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:04 pm
I think so, CJane. I'm waiting with bated breath for her to tell us about it in her India diary thread.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:06 pm
Yes she's in India, and has been INTO Nagaland! I've seen images, but there's still no text anywhere I can find.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:05 am
am back, folks. started my india diary on the other thread, will still need time to finish up though.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wiener Zeitung
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 08:28:39