Teacher has unreasonable expectations and I don't know what to do

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 01:44 pm
I'm 16 years old and in my junior year of high school. I'm currently doing most of my electives in person (3/8 classes) and all of my core classes and 1 elective online. (So basically I'm half and half)

Most of my classes are going generally well, all except for one, Science. (Online class)

I feel like my teacher has completely unrealistic expectations for his students and he's assigning a ton of work. He's acting like this is the only class I have to deal with, when in reality I have 7 others and I just can't realistically put so much time into this one class.

He assigns 5 or 6 different things every single day (even though my school has an A/B schedule so technically he's not supposed to do that) and 1 or 2 of the assignments are always a full 500+ word essay. It's like 3-4 hours worth of work in a class that's supposed to be 1 1/2 hours long plus maybe a little homework. I'm not crazy for thinking this is way overboard right?

It's really been effecting my mental health and it stresses me out so much. I have to use the entire class period plus my entire study hall period (which is supposed to give me time for all my classes) to complete the work, plus sometimes longer.

I just feel like this class is putting so much pressure on me and it's not worth it. I'm always stressed about it and on top of this I already was having problems with mental health before I joined. This is making everything way worse.

Even to add to it, I live in a house where my parents expect A's and get upset over even a B-, so I have a ton of extra pressure from them too to do amazing in this really hard class.

I just feel swamped and stressed and I don't know what to do at this point. I have bad anxiety and I've been feeling depressed lately. I have a lot to deal with at home, other things in school, and this just really doesn't help.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Or at the very least can I be reasurred this is a lot an I'm not just behind...

Thanks
(edit for typo)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,609 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 02:13 pm
@Kayster ,
Do you have a guidance counsellor at your school you can discuss this with? Could you maybe transfer to a different science class?
Kayster

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 02:42 pm
@Mame,
Last term I had this class in person and it went fine, then this term it was moved to an online class (with a different teacher) and now it's a ton of work suddenly. If I switched out I wouldn't get a science credit because you have to take 2 terms of the same class, and I need the credit. I don't think I can switch out.
NealNealNeal

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 04:07 pm
@Kayster ,
Speak with the principal or counselor about it. Let them know about the mental stress that is occuring.
School is also about social interaction so make sure you are enjoying life too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 04:30 pm
@Kayster ,
Talk to a counselor. If you truly have anxiety the school could provide you special accommodations. Like more time for assignments and tests.

My daughter was given this and she was able to take her tests in the guidance office rather than class allowing her extra time and less stress not being in the classroom.

Depending on your situation anxiety can be classified as a disability and the school will be required to provide you these accommodations legally.
Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 04:30 pm
@Kayster ,
Talk to a counselor. If you truly have anxiety the school could provide you special accommodations. Like more time for assignments and tests.

My daughter was given this and she was able to take her tests in the guidance office rather than class allowing her extra time and less stress not being in the classroom.

Depending on your situation anxiety can be classified as a disability and the school will be required to provide you these accommodations legally.
0 Replies

Kayster

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 10:20 am
@Linkat,
I honestly have no clue how to approach a conversation with my councilor about this. What do I say/do? I never really talk to her...
Mame

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 10:37 am
@Kayster ,
Just ask for an appointment and tell her what you told us! It's not that difficult. Speak about the heavy homework assignments, tell her about your family situation if you like...
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 10:50 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Just ask for an appointment and tell her what you told us! It's not that difficult. Speak about the heavy homework assignments, tell her about your family situation if you like...

Exactly she will probably ask but if not tell her what happens when you get anxious ..what would you do if you felt physically ill? Tell the doctor your symptoms and what triggers them. Mental health works similar.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 11:08 am
@Kayster ,
Education involves a series of challenges requiring students to confront them, expanding their horizons and understanding of the material at hand. These transitions are indeed difficult and they (like most challenges in life) require persistence and often a struggle for students to overcome them. Science and mathematics in particular require rigor and involve objective elements and standards for achievement ( there are clear right answers, and the rest are all wrong) The challenges your teacher presents are likely an important elements in education and your personal development. Your Teacher sounds to me like one who understands all this, and is challenging you engage and grow.

Life is full of such challenges, and the one you face now is an opportunity for you to learn for yourself how to deal with them. Your choice here is to accept the challenge and learn from it, or to evade it and thereby learn to rely on excuses. I believe the latter course will serve you poorly, now and in the future.

The job of teachers and coaches is to inspire students and athletes to do their best, struggle to expand their abilities, and meet challenging goals.

It's your choice, and the consequences for you of the choice you make may have lasting effects.

Kayster

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 01:11 pm
@Mame,
Okay, thank you for the advice
0 Replies

Kayster

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 01:15 pm
@georgeob1,
I understand this, and I've always done well in school. But I still think my teacher in this case is being unreasonable. He's posting on days when I'm not even supposed to be working on his class. We have an A/B schedule at my school, so I should only get work for him on B days, but he's giving me assignments on A days as well, which is twice the amount he's supposed to give students.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 01:25 pm
@Kayster ,
I would have a tough time getting started with that councilor too. But when you do, be prepared with a detailed list of assignments and their due dates. It will work out much better than just walking in and saying he requires too much time and work.
ETA I'm curious as to how long this person has been teaching, and whether the other students are having the same problem with him.
Kayster

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 01:34 pm
@roger,
I'm not too sure about the teacher himself, since it's an online class and I've never met him in person. I know he's young (mid 20's I think), so probably not very long.

My friend was in his class last year and she failed it, I know it was the only class she ever failed in high school, so that's saying something. I don't know anyone else in the class.
roger

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2022 03:04 pm
@Kayster ,
I keep forgetting about that online stuff. It's just foreign to my thinking. Do get your documentation together before hand. You might even be surprised to find you are not the first person to raise the issue.
0 Replies