Ebay Sellers...Can You....

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 01:32 pm
Not sell what ever you are selling to the highest bidder, if the highest bidder doesn't want the thing they won? Here's the scenario....

I bid on a collectors item for a very low bid (for this item). I thought it was "A" when it actually turned out to be "X". I already have "X". So, I hoped that in the 4 minutes left, someone would outbid me. Well, as luck would have it, no one did. The ONE time no one sniped in and got my prize.....so I emailed the seller asking if the second highest bidder could buy the item. I explained myself and that I would pay if I had to to but would really appreciate it if he/she could give it to the other bidder. Who was, I might add, only 1 cent under my bid. The seller would be out 1 cent if he/she did this.

My question, is this even "legal" on ebay for a seller to do? Please let me know if I am going to end up paying for a stupid mistake.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,350 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:03 pm
No sellers out there.... ?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:13 pm
Only a buyer here... and only once in a blue moon.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:15 pm
Actually, I just found my answer....

Apparently the contract can be voided if BOTH the seller and buyer decide to not go through with the transaction. So lets just hope my seller isn't a meanie. He/she has 11000 feedback at 99% so I am not too worried...although, maybe just a little...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:16 pm
Ask Squinney or General Tso.

Say, why not ask the seller if you can bail out by paying the difference between your bid and the second highest bid. It's a whole penny, but it could get you out from under. This assumes the second highest still wants the whateveritis.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:20 pm
roger wrote:
Ask Squinney or General Tso.

Say, why not ask the seller if you can bail out by paying the difference between your bid and the second highest bid. It's a whole penny, but it could get you out from under. This assumes the second highest still wants the whateveritis.

I did...I also told them I would pay if I had to. I am waiting on tender hooks for an answer....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:34 pm
If I actually have to buy this, I am gonna get spaaaaaannnnnnked. Silly silly me....what was I thinking! Read, read before bidding!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:23 pm
They let me out...for a fee. $3 is better than paying for and owing something I already have.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:51 pm
wow that is nice.
i know they usually have a ' retract bid' option..
i dont know if that is still up?
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 02:14 pm
They can offer it to the second highest bidder if they want, but you know the second highest bidder does not have to accept. Once this kind of thing happened to me. I was a buyer though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 02:25 pm
I haven't bought through e-Bay for many months, because I've had two bad experience. I now prefer to buy it on sale at a local store, because I may have to pay a little more, but I don't have the hassles of fraud or wondering if the seller will ever ship the item.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:21 pm
doesnt ebay have some sort of buyers protection in place for things like that ci?
I have heard of people getting , the online saying I think is .. bay-robbed, Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:26 pm
shewolf, If you buy through PayPal, they ensure your purchase for up to $1,000. I don't know about eBay.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:33 pm
I actually see people buying advertised "important antiques" through e-bay. These people must be 2 bales short of a load. Any person who doesnt inspect the merchandise before buying has a fool signing their checkbook.

In regular auctions ( Ive consigned lots of Arts and Crafts pottery to the Cinncinnatti Galleries) They allow a "reserve " to be put on any item. Usually, however, for a buyer, the bid is a contract. Its assumed youve inspected the item and if its not as represented, then (and only then) can you back out. Thats why many auctions announce "as is" .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:36 pm
I have seen those same fools place thousands of dollars on diamond rings and so called ' loose gems'

sight unseen..

I dont get it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 04:36 pm
Barnam was right when he said "a fool is born every minute." Many seniors get ripped off because they get greedy in their old age, and they end up losing everything they've worked for all their lives. That saying, "if it's too good to be true, it usually is."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 05:14 pm
Im an antriques nut and We have a lot of old "Pa Dutch Blanket chests" and painted furniture and folk art.
Theres a very important Pa carver named Wilhelm ShimmelThis guy was an old drunken itinerant carver whod carve a wooden eagle or fanciful animal for a meal or a flop. His work, called the Father of the Pa German naive, has escalated. Ashimmel Eagle recently sold for 80000$. I still see these things on e-bay, as well as blanket chests and,even close inspection of the photos can miss important diagnostics.
You have to inspect stuff when many zeros are involved.

If a piece is , say its a pottery vase, and its cracked. Does the buyer have a return right? Id sure hope so.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:13 am
I dont think there is a return policy on ebay unless the seller says so. And even then I dont think it is manditory in any way.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:28 am
I bought a wi-fi card I was unable to get to function and the seller took it back and even refunded my shipping.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:30 am
wow!
that is rare!
Great seller indeed
0 Replies