Ebay Sellers...Can You....

husker

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:33 am
one time I shipped a guy the wrong product, I sent him his money back, said trash the wrong battery then sent him the correct battery, wanna make sure I always maintain 100$ positive
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:07 am
Husker-

Why is having a positive rating so important on ebay?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:14 am
Your rating is an overview for possible customers.
It is what makes people determine if they will or will not buy from you.
A rating of 92 or above insures customers.
A lower rating says bad things about the seller.
With these ratings, people are allowed to speak about thier experience with you. They tell if they got the right item. if it is as you say it is, if they even GOT an item from you, how well you ship, how quick you ship.. etc.
It is an honesty check for sellers and buyers.
Since you dont do sales face to face, people really rely on your rating to tell them about what kind of seller you are.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 11:48 am
I won't buy from someone who has a rating of less than 98% positive and more than 1000 feedback. It might sound crappy but....I just feel more comfortable that way. I know some sellers won't take bids from people with less than 10 feedback and stuff like that.
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:28 pm
Thanks for the info, shewolfnm.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:17 pm
One seller I purchased from had a 100% customer rating, but he didn't even ship the stuff I won. He told me twice it was in the mail. Lucky for me, PayPal refunded my money.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:35 pm
how many 'customers' did he have?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:38 pm
I don't remember, but it seems the number was pretty decent - over 100 or 200.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:39 am
CI, I think that even the "best" seller can screw you. Sad but true....damn the dishonest people out there. Mad
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:42 am
I have heard of people creating sellers accounts ONLY for the purpose of ripping people off later.
They create a great seller account by buying things from themselves in a sense and leaving perfect feed back.
Then theypost real auctions and take money.
>sigh<
that seems like a lot of f-n work for 5 bucks..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:12 am
All capitalism is "buyer beware". I have sold and bought on Ebay for years without any tramas. In the winter it is my major source of $$$. Last year I made about $4000 selling stuff I pick up at garage/yard/estate sales during the summer. I run it like an honest business and even declare the income. I have a 100% positive rating and I work to keep it that way. Like Bella, I would not buy from someone with anything under 98%. I also use paypal for some insurance.

I don't buy things on Ebay I could get locally. I only use it for unique or hard to find items. I worked for years in the antique/art business and have bought such items on Ebay with good success, but that is not for everyone. You really have to know what you are looking at, some of the fakes are great.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:32 am
I'm always watching for the buyer that might sting me with a negative, so far so good.
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:26 am
What's the worst thing that can happen to you if you retract a bid?
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:48 am
How does ebay prevent buyers from intentionally driving up the prices by using a colleague or an alternate screen-name to bid against you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:53 am
I've often wondered about that myself. They can get friends or famly to run up the price.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 11:54 am
Well you hope for some level of integrity, but then I hope you don't pay more than something is worth and if you don't pay what it's worth you have to wonder what you are getting?
Remember you can set a reserve on the price when you are selling, and you can do a "BuyitNow"
for the predetermined price.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:29 pm
I've bought many pieces of antique and estate jewelry from a certain dealer on ebay. I know how they set their opening bids in relation to their set reserve so I know exactly how much they're willing to take at the last minute for a given piece.

I was following a particular ring and planned on bidding at the last minute. I knew the current bids were still very low in relation to the reserve so I was convinced I would get it. I showed it to Mr B and told him I was planning on getting it for myself. This ring had been through two previous auction cycles and the price was down to where I knew it was a good deal.

Two days before the 10 day auction expired I logged in to check the current bid and saw, "Item Remove from Auction by Seller". WTF, can they do that? What do you mean, removed from auction? I was soooo angry I wanted to ???

Three weeks later on Christmas morning I opened a lovely sapphire ring from Mr B. It took me a few seconds to recognise "MY RING". He had contacted the seller by email and told them he didn't want to bid against his own wife for the ring and would they sell it to him outright for the reserve price? They did and I cried on Christmas morning because I have such a sentimental and thoughtful Mr B.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:15 pm
Wow, J_B, that's some Mr you have there! Congrats on such a choice, choice. Wink
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:27 pm
sweet story! I love it
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 04:38 pm
Im sorry , I dont care if youre Israel Sachs, you cant tell anything about a "supposed" antique from a photo.
There was an entire exhibit on Fakes and Deceptions in Antiques at Winterthur a few years ago. The exhibits included antique items that were purchased by museums and by very knowledgeable dealers who carefully inspected the stuff. Even E I Dupont had a colonial silver collection of hundreds of pieces. About 85% of it was fake. The only way they could tell was by energy dispersive Xray, which, in effect, did an assay on the metal content of each piece of silver. The old pieces of silver had a small portion of the lattice made up of GOLD ( it turns out that early metalsmiths had no way of refining gold from silver at the levels we can accomplish today) so when the xRays were in almost all of EI's collection was faked. Instead of hiding it all, Winterthur made a big show and celebrated many of the fabulous fakes of the past, Including the famous "pilgrim" William and Mary chair that was sold to the Ford Museum for about 150000 and , as it turned out, this piece was made in the 1930s.
0 Replies