Superstition!

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:56 pm
Only the scientists believe in superstition. It is an idea they have invented for themselves. Nobody else gives it any credence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,052 • Replies: 12
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:18 pm
so where did you find that theory???........I myself will not walk under a ladder, open an umbrella indoors and I knock on wood if I think or say anything bad...call me weird, but better safe than sorry! :wink:
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:38 pm
Re: Superstition!
John Jones wrote:
Only the scientists believe in superstition. It is an idea they have invented for themselves. Nobody else gives it any credence.

Very Happy Luv your tongue-in-cheek humor, JJ! One of their biggest superstitions is Darwinism. I wonder if that cerebral-offal will live as long as the Ptolemaic theory...
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:21 am
KiwiChic wrote:
so where did you find that theory???........I myself will not walk under a ladder, open an umbrella indoors and I knock on wood if I think or say anything bad...call me weird, but better safe than sorry! :wink:

We will send our team of 'cult-busters'. Just tell us where you are - but hang on!
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:15 am
Re: Superstition!
John Jones

Quote:

Quite right.
Before science, if a man feared that a black cat would bring him bad luck, well ... it was because everybody knows that black cats bring bad luck.
Then came the scientists and said: give us a proof that a black cat brings bad luck. If you cannot proof it, then, it is superstition.
They never proved it.

But I don't like cats, black or white or yellow. Nor dogs. I am a skeptic.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:25 am
All right ok - now we're talking! I don't know whether I belive in it or not and I'm leaning towards the "not" but being surrounded by chinese relatives and friends who are superstition freaks, I tend to be very much influenced by it, whether I like it or not, whether I know it or not.

- Don't sweep the floor shortly after a loved one has gone out or they will have been swept out of the house
- feng shui!! Rolling Eyes
- Never curse another for that curse will turn upon you.

and etc etc etc. Of course I will respect other people who belive in superstitions - no harm in following some personal rules, really.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:37 am
pragmatic wrote:

- Don't sweep the floor shortly after a loved one has gone out or they will have been swept out of the house
- feng shui!! Rolling Eyes
- Never curse another for that curse will turn upon you.

and etc etc etc. Of course I will respect other people who belive in superstitions - no harm in following some personal rules, really.

Those aren't superstitions. Superstition involves looking at something with a scientists eye, so even though you say you don't believe in superstition, you practice the idea.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:38 am
John Jones wrote:
KiwiChic wrote:

We will send our team of 'cult-busters'. Just tell us where you are - but hang on!

in case no-one got it, the cult I referred to above, is the cult of the scientist, who alone is superstitious.
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 03:07 pm
John Jones wrote:
.... in case no-one got it, the cult I referred to above, is the cult of the scientist, who alone is superstitious.

Specifically the cult whose creed is Naturalism/Logical Postivism....whose Pope is Darwin.......who rival McCarthy in their witch hunts against all the heretics who don't genuflect to the catechism of uniformitarianism...who have a gestapo grip on the schools...who use TV and movies as their main pulpit...whose devotees pullulate at this site.

It is refreshing to encounter a few lone voices in the wilderness here in CyberSahara.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 03:23 pm
xprmntr2 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
.... in case no-one got it, the cult I referred to above, is the cult of the scientist, who alone is superstitious.

Specifically the cult whose creed is Naturalism/Logical Postivism....whose Pope is Darwin.......who rival McCarthy in their witch hunts against all the heretics who don't genuflect to the catechism of uniformitarianism...who have a gestapo grip on the schools...who use TV and movies as their main pulpit...whose devotees pullulate at this site.

It is refreshing to encounter a few lone voices in the wilderness here in CyberSahara.

Well stay tuned in, you seen some smoke, wait till you see the flames.
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 03:41 pm
John Jones wrote:

Right on!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/torch.gif Purge the cognitive Ebola!
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 03:56 pm
xprmntr2 wrote:
John Jones wrote:

Right on!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/torch.gif Purge the cognitive Ebola!

I am creating a lot of **** on the science site, which you may or may not go along with - but its burning ass! Ho-Ho! It's bum's on fire! And these guys are REALLY stupid. Yes, but they deserve it.
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:07 pm
John Jones wrote:
I am creating a lot of **** on the science site, which you may or may not go along with - but its burning ass! Ho-Ho! It's bum's on fire! And these guys are REALLY stupid. Yes, but they deserve it.

My impression is that they're woefully benighted thru lifelong indoctrination. My theory is that they're all terrified of the concept of MIND in the universe, bec. that might just imply that there's Someone out there, Someone larger than they who might have a say over what we tiny creatures down here do.
0 Replies