Mort Sahl was 94

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 10:26 pm
Known for his topical social commentary, he boldly skewered politicians and others in a harsh but clean stand-up act. He hosted the first Grammy Awards in 1959, co-hosted the 1959 Academy Awards and a year later became the first comedian featured to be featured on the cover of Time magazine. He also guest-hosted The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson multiple times during the 1960s.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,446 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2021 09:13 am
I liked Mort the human. His comedy almost never made me laugh or smile.
hightor

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2021 09:48 am
@edgarblythe,
There was that whole crop of "new" comedians who replaced the Bob Hope (But, seriously folks...") and Borscht Belt ("Take my wife...please") styles. Bob Newhart, Shelley Berman, Lenny Bruce, Dick Gregory, Sahl, and a bunch of others. It's interesting to listen to their routines today – for the most part, they're not that funny but they're nowhere near being as controversial either. See ya, Mort.

R.I.P.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2021 11:49 pm
I liked Mort Sahl, Rest In Peace old pal.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2021 09:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I always though I was the only one. The biggest thing I got from his comedy was the "honesty of a mildly irritated citizen".
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 06:44 am
He was quite the revolutionary force in the bland early and mid-60s. I liked Lenny Bruce far better (before his last year). Mort Sahl raised awareness but was just a bit too irritating.
0 Replies