Chopping off the top of a banyan

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 05:06 pm
A large banyan in my property blocks some of the view to the owner of next property. He wishes to chop off the top branches, but before letting him do that I would like to make sure that the banyan will not be harmed.
Can anyone tell me roughly what percentage of the total height of a banyan can be safely cut off ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 523 • Replies: 3
No top replies

lab rat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:46 am
You might try contacting a local arborist (references available from National Arbor Day Foundation). If you are a National Arbor Day Foundation member (annual cost ~$10 - 15), a local certified arborist will give you a free assessment of your property and could give you an "official", informed opinion on the banyan in question.
0 Replies

maurice-pnut

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:35 pm
Chopping off the top of a banyan
I am not a member of any arborist foundation, and I live in the South Pacific.
An informal (but informed) opinion would be enough from anyone who has a working experience of trees.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:35 pm
maurice--

Welcome to A2K. I have a vague notion that banyan trees are almost indestructable, but I've only read about them and have no practical experience. I tried googling for you, but kept getting information on bonsai and fig trees.

Is there a nursery in your area that you could contact? What about a local university with an agricultural extension office? As a final resort you might tour the area and eyeball banyan trees to see whether any of them seem to have been topped.

Good luck.
0 Replies