Should atheists be godparents ?

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 03:50 am
If you were an atheist and asked to be a godparent would you accept ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,922 • Replies: 33
No top replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 03:59 am
Re: Should atheists be godparents ?
CerealKiller wrote:
If you were an atheist and asked to be a godparent would you accept ?

ROTFL at the scrumptious oxymoron in that question! Very Happy

But seriously, it is an excellent question. Not only that, but it makes me wonder why they're called "godparents." Gonna go google that...

[LATER] Found this at http://www.egodparent.com/HistoryGodparenting.htm

"Originally the need for Godparents (or sponsors as they used to be called) arose when people converted to Christianity from another religion. In the ancient world, there were many religions each with different practices and beliefs. When members of a different religion (what Christians then called pagans) decided that they wanted to become Christians, they would offer themselves for baptism. They would have to approach the local Bishop (the person who had pastoral responsibility for Christians in a particular town) who would want to be reassured of the genuineness of the decision. Converts would then be asked to find a Christian friend who would vouch for them. This friend would undertake to the Bishop that they would support the convert and ensure that s/he would be helped to become a faithful member of the church..."

There were 2 more paragraphs with further interesting info.

Now, my answer to your question: it depends on how staunch an atheist I was. If my atheism were militant, then no, I'd probably decline; but if I were a moderate atheist (one who simply chuckled at the "quaintness" of faith), and if I really cared about the parents, then yes, I'd accept.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 04:32 am
Informative link.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 04:46 am
Yes.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 05:06 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Informative link.

Off-topic for a moment (humor my pun-addiction): I just now noticed where you're located. I used to live in Mass. and we'd drive thru a section of R.I. Here's a riddle for you: Whatever happened to Providence, R.I.?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 05:06 am
This has in my opinion and according to my experiences something to do with if the child is baptised, in what church and how the priest there thinks about.

(My wife is evangelical/protestant and I'm catholic. One catholic priest bothered, the other didn't about the confession of my wife [so I was there at the church ceremony]. Both priests with our evangelical/protestant godchildren bothered about my confession.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:19 am
Should atheists be godparents? Of course not.

Would you believe that I knew a loudly self-proclaimed atheist (who was steeped in all manner of superstitions) who caused a family rift with her tantrum about not being chosen for a godparent.

I am dubious about letter-of-the-law dogmas and doctrines (after all the letter killeth while the spirit giveth life) but it seems to me that only believers should be trusted with a child's religious upbringing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:53 am
Hm, I've never thaught that the idea of being godparents is narrowed to religious upbringinmg - actually, I don't know any godparents (and I can overlook over more than 50 years) who were interested [much] in a child's religious upbringing, besides atternding the baptism and [perhaps] the first communion/confirmation [therefor children get special 'godparents' from the parish for the latter occasions].
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:57 am
I am an atheist (okay, maybe I'm just an agnostic with atheistic leanings--depends on my mood), and I am a godparent.

No skin off my ass.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:59 am
I agree with Walter. (Maybe because we are of similar vintage Very Happy ). I always thought of a godparent as one who agreed to take particular interest in the child. I realize that the title has no legal standing, but I do believe that it was assumed that if something happened to the parents, the godparent, would take the responsibility of seeing to it that the child was cared for, even though he/she might not actually take physical custody.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 02:42 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I agree with Walter. (Maybe because we are of similar vintage Very Happy ). I always thought of a godparent as one who agreed to take particular interest in the child. I realize that the title has no legal standing, but I do believe that it was assumed that if something happened to the parents, the godparent, would take the responsibility of seeing to it that the child was cared for, even though he/she might not actually take physical custody.

I was always led to believe that the purpose of a "godparent" was to look after the child's religious upbringing. Otherwise they'd just be the child's adoptive parents or guardians.

With that in mind, I'd still think it possible that an athiest could serve as a godparent. The responsibility to to ensure they get the info and as long as an athiest can honestly agree to follow through on the agreement why not? They don't have to explain or teach religious doctirne themselves - as long as they can find someone to do it they are fufilling their end of the agreement.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 03:08 pm
fishin' wrote:
I was always led to believe that the purpose of a "godparent" was to look after the child's religious upbringing. Otherwise they'd just be the child's adoptive parents or guardians.

When children are not baptised but just registered (which is mostly the case) they get 'godparents' traditionally as well here (actually, in the Geman word there is no 'god-' at all).
Adoptive parents and guardians are quite different (and legally defined) terms here.

During this holiday season, three of our godchildren are staying here: although all have been baptised as babies, their parents would look more than only astonished if we would care about their religious uprising.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 03:12 pm
If the aims and wishes of the parents are compatible with potential godparents, it should make no difference. A deeply religious person would weigh the options pretty carefully.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:02 am
Noddy24 wrote:
...atheist... who caused a family rift with her tantrum about not being chosen for a godparent.

Hmmnnn, evidently of the militant atheist variety, LOL!

diagknowz wrote:
Whatever happened to Providence, R.I.?

Pawtucket.

Laughing
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:33 am
I suppose the answer would be relative to the situation and individuals involved.

I was raised Catholic. I was baptised as a child. My godparents are both atheists. Both are single people who chose not to have children, so in this way I was able to become their 'child'. It is great. I have always felt like I have 4 parents. For us it became very much a way of uniting the family.
Though I do not practise a religion now, I love this tradition.
According to what I was taught, the godparents are responsible for spiritual guidance and guardianship. They are meant to help guide the child in their spiritual life. However, not everyone follows those 'rules'.
In the history of the Catholic church, there were practical reasons for godparents, as well. I'm not well educated in that department.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
fishin' wrote:
I was always led to believe that the purpose of a "godparent" was to look after the child's religious upbringing.

That has always been my understanding as well.

As a result, I have turned people down when they asked me to be a godparent to their children.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 05:50 pm
Well, the term godparent might be a bit awkward so just stick with sponsor. I honestly cannot remember what the 2 people were called who were there for my baptism but I am fairly sure it wasn't godfather and godmother. What I do recall is the woman was a great-aunt who was approaching 70 (she lived to 95 so it would have been okay) and the man disappeared when I was about 3 years old.

I would figure it is best to discuss this with the prospective ____parents and let them decide just how comfortable they are with both the church thing and the big g word being attached to them. Perhaps it could be done in a backyard or living room of one of your homes, you never know if you don't look into it.

As others have already indicated the purpose of this is to be a person who is there to help steer a person along a path of decency in life. It doesn't necessarily have to be religiously connected; however most in church situations will have a bunch of stuff about God and raising the child in such and such a way usually including mentions of raising the child within the church. THis might also be something which you would want to discuss with a member of the clergy since they may have ways of removing certain words or phrases from the whole ceremony.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:55 am
ehBeth wrote:
fishin' wrote:
I was always led to believe that the purpose of a "godparent" was to look after the child's religious upbringing.

That has always been my understanding as well.

As a result, I have turned people down when they asked me to be a godparent to their children.

ditto here. Also, depending on the faith, the presiding priest or minister might object to the choice of an atheist godparent. My first husband was raised Catholic. We were asked to be godparents to his sister's children. Although I had no objections agreeing to ensure they were raised within the faith if something were to happen to the parents, the priest did not allow my name on the Baptismal records because I was not baptised as a Catholic.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:16 pm
fishin' wrote:

Well, as an atheist, I'd do all that I could to keep the child religious. Why, you ask? Here's my reasoning. I would love to be able to believe in God; I just can't. If I could buy into the idea that there's a higher power who's watching over us and has a plan for all of us, I'd sleep a lot better at night, I'll tell you that. And so, if I had the ability to give another, impressionable young person that ability to believe, I definitely would.

But that's just me, and I'm very far from normal. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:23 pm
Fishin's understanding re godparents is mine, from my life as a Catholic.
0 Replies