I am looking to attend a new church in NYC.

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 04:18 pm
I am looking to attend a new church in NYC. Any suggestions anyone?
Every once ina while, I travel to L.A. Any churches there that anyone can recommend?
Very Happy I open to all forms of spirituality.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,282 • Replies: 10
No top replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 02:01 am
Re: I am looking to attend a new church in NYC.
keuracce wrote:
I am looking to attend a new church in NYC. Any suggestions anyone?
Every once ina while, I travel to L.A. Any churches there that anyone can recommend?
Very Happy I open to all forms of spirituality.

You're likely to get excellent spiritual meat at a Free Presbyterian or Orthodox Presbyterian church, Keur. Just check the Yellow Pages to see where the nearest one'd be located.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 06:59 am
Keuracce, if you're in Los Angeles, be sure to avoid the Los Angeles Church of Christ (or other surrounding cities' "Church of Christ". Though when I looked it up, I found that it has undergone major upheaval since I was marginally involved with it in 1997-2000, and might not be as dangerous as it was. Plenty dangerous then.

More info here:

http://www.reveal.org/
0 Replies

keuracce

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:34 am
L.A. Church of Christ-What's the controversy?
What's the controversy surrounding the L.A. Church of Christ?
Anyone out there with a story to tell? Are there any other religous groups in the L.A. area that one should avoid?
Can you recommend a healthy spiritual group?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:43 am
Check out Beliefnet, take the test, and you will find out which religion comes closest to YOUR beliefs. Then find a church that is in harmony with you:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:50 am
New York is a pretty big place. Can you narrow down the area where you'll be a little bit? I can't really recommend any churches, since I'm a non-believing heathen, but if you narrow down where you'll be in NYC, somebody else might be able to help you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:22 am
keuracce, I gave a link that explains the controversy with ICOC (International Church of Christ, which has/ had a major ministry in L.A.), here's another:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/i02.html
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:06 am
sozobe wrote:
Keuracce, if you're in Los Angeles, be sure to avoid the Los Angeles Church of Christ (or other surrounding cities' "Church of Christ". Though when I looked it up, I found that it has undergone major upheaval since I was marginally involved with it in 1997-2000, and might not be as dangerous as it was. Plenty dangerous then.

Yow, yes...Boston Movement. UGH!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:27 am
That's the one.

(By "marginally involved" I mean that it turned out that some of my staff members were ICOC people, who were prosletyzing to my clients behind my back and who made several VERY aggressive attempts to recruit me. Surreal experience all around, I know that at least one of those former staff members has since left the church, thank goodness.)
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:45 pm
This post has been deleted by Diagknowz bec. for some reason, it showed up twice (Zzzzzzzzz.....).
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
sozobe wrote:
That's the one.

(By "marginally involved" I mean that it turned out that some of my staff members were ICOC people, who were prosletyzing to my clients behind my back and who made several VERY aggressive attempts to recruit me. Surreal experience all around, I know that at least one of those former staff members has since left the church, thank goodness.)

It reminds me of the Scientology skirmish in Germany, some years back: they were getting control of various of positions in gov't., allowing them to wreak all kinds of havoc. If I remember correctly, the Germans had to actually pass some sort of law forbidding Scientologists from holding office.

That kind of incident (and 911) points to the need for establishing just what types of religion are legit and what types are not. Can get pretty sticky.
0 Replies