New host for Jeopardy!.

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:11 am
Not really sure what went on in the choosing of a replacement host for the late, Alex Trebek, on the highly popular, Jeopardy!...but (to me) the choice made seems about as far off base as could be…considering this was something supposedly “thought out.”

Mike Richards, who as Executive Producer of the show, was always a front-runner. After all, he was going to be a part of the decision process…and he wanted the job very badly. He was good during his stint as guest host…but certainly not outstanding.

Choosing him, with his considerable conduct baggage, is sure to annoy many regular viewers. He may end up saving the show a few bucks, because his salary as host and as EP (which he will retain) may be less than paying him as EP and paying a new host other than himself. Big deal!

I cannot fathom how Mayim Bialik was considered better during try-outs than others. My personal ranking of the guest hosts had her almost at the bottom. If choosing a female host was a consideration, Katie Couric did a much better job during trials. Bialik was outclassed by almost every other contender…both in ability and in looking the part. Alex Trebek was noted for his superb, classy outfits. Bialik looked like she was working at being a frump.

Ken Jennings, in my opinion, was better than both of them. Much better! Buzzy Cohen and Anderson Cooper were better than either also.

The decision sucked. I’ve been a Jeopardy! fan from Art Fleming days, and I will continue to watch, but I cannot adequately convey my disappointment with what the show has done to the memory of Alex Trebek with these choices.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 49

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
all I can say is to give it a look and then decide. I likd Jeoprdy and hve a friend in Lancaster whose on of the highst winning contestants and even he said that it wasnt as well managed as AT made it appear. Trebek wa just unflappable and patient.
I hope the new guy i similarly disposed. We dont need a "CMON DOOOWN" nozzle on a show that celebrates rapid recall
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Alex Trebek was noted for his superb, classy outfits. Bialik looked like she was working at being a frump.

Classy analysis.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:50 am
I'm a fan of the show too. The perception of who did best is in part an individualist decision, in part deciding who did or didn't screw up. My own choice would have been Mayim Bialik. But, as Alex said, the contestants are the true stars of Jeopardy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:55 am
There’s a piece on the BBC website about this, despite the fact that it’s never been shown over here.

I don’t know if we had our own version at one time but I can’t remember seeing it.

Despite that, it’s something that is very well known, it’s ubiquitous, I don’t know how many times I’ve seen it referenced, or just on in the background, in American programmes.

It’s very much an American phenomenon, something hugely successful over there but unheard of elsewhere, but still being recognised. That’s quite an achievement, I can’t think of any other programme that does that.

The only other example I can think of is Martha Stewart unheard of over here for a long time but her constant referencing on the telly means we all know she’s some one who made a lot of money out of home making and criminality.
ascribbler

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It’s very much an American phenomenon, something hugely successful over there but unheard of elsewhere, but still being recognised.

Words fail you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:02 am
Whoops, there goes another cushion.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't watch regularly but I enjoy the show and thought Alex was great. I didn't see many of the guest hosts but the few I did all looked good. Mayim Bialik is an interesting choice with her PhD in neuroscience, but the host doesn't need to answer the questions, just ask them. (Or is it question the answers?) I'll withhold judgement.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:15 am
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:17 am
@engineer,
It does look like the entire "guest host" thing was for show.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:52 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It does look like the entire "guest host" thing was for show.

Or maybe the actual host was just not quite in a position to completely take it over at that time.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 03:11 pm
Why did they hire two hosts?

I'll give it a watch, but if it's terrible, I'll just watch reruns. I certainly haven't seen them all.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 03:24 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Why did they hire two hosts?

I'll give it a watch, but if it's terrible, I'll just watch reruns. I certainly haven't seen them all.

There are supposed to be some offshoots to the original Jeopardy - like college tournaments and the like. That is what the second host is going to do.
Mame

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 04:45 pm
@Linkat,
Ah, thanks. I would have liked Anderson Cooper.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 04:58 pm
@Mame,
I love Anderson Cooper, but I don't want him to leave the real news.
Mame

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 05:59 pm
@glitterbag,
I don't think he'd have to. I love him, too, and he's got the class, the brains, and the people skills to do it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 04:15 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Ah, thanks. I would have liked Anderson Cooper.

Anderson Cooper did a wonderful job...and would have made a fine host.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 04:57 am
@Mame,
Pointless has two hosts. Alexander, who does most of the hosty stuff and Richard, who goes through the facts and figures.

I’m glad they’re staying here.
Mame

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 08:58 am
@izzythepush,
Were they contenders? Just watched an episode of Pointless - simple but fun show.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 09:13 am
@Mame,
I don’t know. I hope not.

I was responding to what you said about two hosts.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » New host for Jeopardy!.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:54:27