Fri 16 Jul, 2021 07:23 pm
In a nutshell: is it worth it to attempt to remediate my apartment for mold in the sub-flooring. Has anybody had any experience with this? Thanks!
The backstory: I was living in an apartment for many years. Last summer, all of a sudden I started having difficulty breathing in the living room. And I also noticed a somewhat earthy smell from the area. I had to vacate the premises, as the situation made my asthma about 1000 times worse. I noticed some antique wooden furniture in the living room had this fuzzy white stuff growing on it - mold! And also noticed there was this rust colored dust, which had accumulated in a pile under the wooden tv stand - more mold!
After a long time of pondering how this had happened, I realized that a few months before, I'm fairly certain a cat, which I was looking after for a friend, had peed behind my couch onto the carpet. I had noticed a smell but didn't know where it was coming from exactly. By the time I found out what had a happened the pee must have soaked into the carpet, floor and I think -subfloor too.
I threw out the carpet and a lot of nice furniture.
I am renting another apartment atm, but still have the lease at the old moldy one.
I went there today, and although there is no more visible mold the air in there is very toxic to me. I'm super sensitive to the stuff...
Does anybody have any experience with mold remediation? I'm afraid I could pay thousands of dollars to have the mold removed from the subfloor, but then still not be able breathe easy in the place, considering my asthma. Is this fear un-warranted? Any advice, tips or relevant anecdotes much appreciated.
I would definitely get several quotes on this. Mold is a serious problem! And when you have difficulty breathing, it's even more dire. Please get someone in there to look at remediation, whatever the cost.
And I doubt that a cat caused mold.
But I'm not an expert. As a previous Strata (Condo) agent, I do know, however, that mold spreads and if you don't take care of this ASAP, other owners or renters may/will be at risk.
Take care of it!
Why isn't this your landlord's responsibility?
Well, I'll say this about the landlord, he is not one to fix any major issues unless he is taken to court... And seeing as how this technically was my fault...
Thanks! (The mold spreading is definitely a worry. However, for example, the air in the bedroom of the apartment, is just fine as of now, thank goodness).
I def. will be getting more than one quote...
I think the cat was the culprit because I read that if urine soaks into a carpet -unattended - it can then soak the floor underneath and ultimately the subfloor. The urine, in the subfloor then draws moisture to it, and of course where there's moisture...
I really don't think this is because of the cat. Please update us.
Ok, well I hope you're right.
I will talk to some remediation specialists next week, see what they say, and post updates.
What is your air circulation like in the apt?
Keep the fan on “ON” at all times. Furnace and air conditioner off, but the fan on. Also check the humidity . Mold needs moisture and warmth to grow. The fact that mold fuzz was on your furniture should have been a clue that general conditions for mold existed.
Did you steam clean area the cat used as a litter box? There are products you can put on the floor that can absorb that smell. I doubt if the cat urine caused mold, but the smell can linger.
If your heat is electric or radiant heat, just get some box fans and run on low. Never let household air get stagnant .
I think you are making a stretch here to say it was the cat and is your fault. If the apartment is unlivable due to mold, move out. No way I would pay to fix up your landlord's property.
Right, but the thing is, the place is actually really affordable, has lots of sentimental value for me, and without going into much detail, would be logistically quite difficult to liquidate atm.
Keep in mind that if you fix up your landlord's property, it remains your landlord's property and he doesn't owe you anything for whatever money you sink into fixing up his property.
If you choose to do any of this because of sentimental reasons, it's your money. Just don't expect any right to be reimbursed for what you spend.
yeah, I know it's not a great situation, but, it may actually be my best solution.
This might be a little late, but I suggest you read the NYC DOH guidelines for mold remediation. It would definitely be useful in your current situation.