What was your first concert?

hightor

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 06:53 am
I can't remember the first concert I ever went to, as my parents took me to orchestral performances from a pretty young age. Probably the first decent. well-rehearsed concert I played in was in high school, an all-county performance with guest conductor Paul Lavalle.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 06:58 am
@izzythepush,
It’s been out on Hulu for a few weeks. It’s amazing. The footage just sat for 50 years without anyone wanting to buy it until Questlove (of The Roots) found it and brought this bit of hidden history out.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 07:10 am
@snood,
I’m looking forward to it, and I’m quite shocked that I’d not heard of it before today.

Shocked, but not surprised.

The only other concert from that period I’d heard of was the one headlined by the Stones where the Hell’s Angels went crazy and murdered one of the audience.

That gets its own footnote in history, but not the Harlem festival.
snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
There is a whole library worth of history that was intentionally hidden or deleted from the American history taught in public schools here. It is a part of the crime that has been and continues to be done against BIPOC. The same forces trying to bury Critical Race Theory and the 1619 Project are the same forces that have whitewashed history for centuries.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 07:40 am
@snood,
And they’ve been quite effective, the film’s director, Ahmir Thompson, who is a professor at New York University and an expert on black music had never heard of it until he was given all the footage.

If someone like that has been kept in the dark about something so significant, what chance do the rest of us have?
snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 07:47 am
@izzythepush,
In any case, I recommend seeing and hearing it. A real treat, full of never before seen performances.
Part of the documentary showed some reactions from some of the surviving spectators who were there when it happened. Watching their reactions when they watched and remembered is really something.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 07:51 am
@snood,
I’m looking forward to it, we don’t have Hulu but I’m sure it will be on another network before long.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 08:19 am
@Mame,
Too much of my youth was mispent and I can't remember my first concert, though it was likely Rush, Jethro Tull, Styx, or Supertramp.. I looked up John Cougar Mellencamp as he was known in 1977, I think, when he opened for Heart. Also around that time I saw Fleetwood Mac and then maybe Bob Seger.

Of those, Bob Seger was phenomenal, and sadly Fleetwood Mac was abysmal.

Billy Joel
Pink Floyd
Burton Cummings
Levon Helm
Neil Young
Ray Charles
CSNY (we took joelittle to this as HIS first concert)
Blue Rodeo
Jimmy Buffet
B B King

I'm certain I've missed a few. In one fell swoop at a festival a few years back, among others, Bahamas, Gordon Lightfoot and Arcade Fire. Jan Arden was supposed to be there, which I would have loved.

Ah! Nearly forgot the last concert I saw in St John's NL not yet two years ago: The Chieftains.

I'm not completely sure but I think my concert going days are over, unless I can luck out with smaller venues.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 08:37 am
I’ve seen the Pixies at Glastonbury as well.

I saw Bad Manners and Chas ‘n Dave at a local pub.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 08:48 am
I was just last night watching a YouTube of Bob Seger doing We’ve Got Tonight live. He is great.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 09:07 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I’m very envious of your list. Especially EWF. Them and Stevie Wonder are two I always wanted, and never got to see.
I had an opportunity to go see EWF two years or so ago, but it didn’t hold the same allure for me since Maurice White is no longer there.

1. When I saw Earth Wind & Fire, Maurice White was no longer performing with the group.

2. Although, Maurice white was no longer performing, the group still sounded great.

3. I saw them twice. Both times was around the early part of the 1990s.

4. Since 30 years have past since I've last seen them, I suspect that they lost a lot over that long period of time. They are much older now.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 09:30 pm
@snood,
Quote:
The Jackson Five
(Opening act: Gladys Knight and the Pips)
Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium
Fayetteville, NC

1. I am jealous of you.
2. When I was a young child in the early 1970s, The Jackson Five tour came to my hometown.
3. Some of my older relatives were getting ready to leave to go see them in concert. I thought they were going to take me to see the concert.
4. They told me that I couldn't go. I guess because I was too young.
5. I don't know for sure how old I was. I was probably 5, 6, or possibly 7 years old.
6. I remember feeling extremely sad that I couldn't go.
7. At that moment in my life, the Jackson Five was my favorite group on the planet.
8. The next couple of days after the concert was over, every time I heard one of their songs on the radio, it made me feel sad that I didn't get to see them.
9. The songs I remember hearing constantly on the radio during the early 1970s included ABC, I Want You Back, The Love You Save, I'll Be There, Maybe Tomorrow, I found That Girl, Who's Loving You, and Never Can Say Goodbye.
10. I remember all 8 of these songs having heavy airplay on the radio during the early 1970s.
Real Music

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 09:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
New Documentary coming out called Summer of Soul about the Harlem Cultural Festival in 1969 when Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone, BB King and Mahalia Jackson played to an audience of 300,000+ people.

This was the same year as Woodstock and Neil Armstrong on the moon, but while those two events have iconic status the Harlem Cultural Festival has been largely forgotten. This documentary aims to put things right.

I can’t post links and most of the above post is paraphrased from the BBC website.

1. It was released in theaters approximately 2 weeks ago.
2. It can also be seen on Hulu streaming.
3. I probably temporarily subscribe to Hulu, so that I can see it on Hulu.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 09:54 pm
I saw Stevie Wonder. He was part of the Rolling Thunder Review in the Astrodome. Some of the other artists attending were Roger McGuinn and Ringo Star. Isaac Hayes MCed. There were quite a few others there. It was done to help free Ruben Carter. Even though Bob Dylan was there, the original concept had been thought up without him. He decided to be there after he saw who else was attending.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 12:28 am
@Real Music,
Releases in cinemas differ from country to country.

I don’t live in America,
Real Music

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 12:33 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry about that. I haven't seen it yet.
Although I don't have hulu, I will subscribe for maybe a month so that I can see it.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 01:43 am
@Real Music,
I don’t think our cinemas are open just yet.

The big lifting of restrictions is the 19th July.

We have access to a Netflix account if it comes on there at all, and Sky are very good, it may well be on there soon.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 03:48 am
@Real Music,
The J5 did their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1969. I was 11 years old, and I remember becoming so excited at seeing them singing ‘I Want You Back’ that I ran through the house, yelling for anyone there to “Come look! There’s a little black boy singing on TV!” I had of course seen black people on tv before (although it was still a novelty), but something about seeing little Michael and his brothers - so cool and good and doing their damn thing- that really struck me with awe.

Michael was an eleven year old black boy too, but he was on national TV, singing and dancing with his brothers like badass Angels, wearing a purple velvet hat cocked on a slant on his head. It was the beginning of a decades-long fandom for me. I was thrown by his later altered appearance and even more so by the allegations about his personal life, but the J5 and Michael were special to me.
Joeblow

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 04:42 am
@snood,
I developed my first celebrity crush because of that performance. Puppy love sealed it lol
snood

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2021 05:02 am
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

I developed my first celebrity crush because of that performance. Puppy love sealed it lol

If you mean you were struck by puppy love, I understand. If you meant the song Puppy Love, that was the Osmonds, not the Jackson’s.