What was your first concert?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 09:56 am
@Mame,
It was at the Milton Keynes bowl.

He was tiny, I spent most of the concert watching the big screen.

I’ve seen quite a few bands at festivals too.

The Smiths, Paul Weller, The Cure, Psychedelic Furs and The Cult were all at Glastonbury festival.

I’ve seen, Joe Strummer, Uriah Heap, Barclay James Harvest, Ultravox, Steve Hillage, Gong, Half Man Half Biscuit, and a load of smaller bands you won’t have heard of.

At one point I lived in the same house as the manager of Flik Spatula, and I went to their gigs all over the south coast.

I saw a documentary on the Clash and there were lots of interviews with individuals involved in the band and I told the Kid that if Flik Spatula had ever made it that big I would have been one of the people interviewed.

And I’ve see John Otway loads of times , he is a lovely bloke, very approachable, sat in the bar drinking with everyone else before he went on.

He did, Really Free, Headbutt and Beware of the Flowers Because I’m sure they’re going to get you, Yeah.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 10:27 am
My first concert actually was a "disco dancing" with the Small Faces 1963 in Bournemouth.

Missed the Beatles at the Gaumont in Bournemouth in 1964, because my 'guest parents' forgot to get the ticket.
But saw a couple of days later The Walker Brothers; Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick And Tich and a couple more bands (The Wishfull Thinking I remember) in the same theatre.

A couple of days later, I saw The Pretty Things in the 100 Club, Oxford Street, London without paying entry fee (was underage, too, but got "invited" as a guest by a club member).

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 10:30 am
I think the first was Blue Oyster Cult at the old Boston Garden in 1979. Second may have been the Concerts at the Pier series in NYC which I think was 1980 or 1981. My brother and I saw the Waitresses, Joe Jackson, Talk Talk, and Elvis Costello. This was over the course of a few nights.

Best? Either Live Aid (ha, 36 years ago today!) or the two times I saw Bruce Springsteen at the Boston Garden for the River tour. For a great small show, I would pick the times RP and I saw Christine Lavin.

Worst? RP and I saw Neil Young and the timing was pretty abysmal so he never really got any momentum going. IIRC it was to support Weld.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 10:38 am
I saw Country Joe and the Fish in Somerton not so long ago.

They didn’t go down that well, nobody knew who they were, and people kept talking.

There was a support too. I can’t remember the name but they were fronted by Chris Jagger, Mick’s brother.

He lives in Mudgley near the cider farm and is quite well known in the area.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 11:26 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

first: The Who @ MSG, 1979

second: The Who @ Shea, 1982

will think on best and worst...

I saw The Who @ Shea - and I do believe it was 1982! It was their first "last" tour. I was in college and we drove from massachusetts to New York and back in the same night - did not sleep other than in the car and went right to work after the concert.

However my first was Sha Na Na but in my defense I was young and my mom brought me with my best friend.
Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 11:41 am
@Linkat,
Some of my best was:

U2 Boston Garden on St. Patricks Day (1992?)- still remember trying to get tickets they only allowed two per call - you just had to get lucky.

Also Rolling Stones (saw they a few times) - I think my favorite was the one they opened with Start Me Up; Steel Wheels tour (1990?) Gillette Stadium

I think my overall favorite/craziest and at the same time worst - was Leeds, England in a soccer field general admission Joshua Tree tour (which I also saw at Gillette Stadium) - worst was the first band they were so bad people were throwing stuff at them and since I was near the front I was getting hit; craziness was the simple fact that it was general admission and we nearly got crushed - was all day and neither my friend or I left the spot to eat, drink or go the bathroom for fear of never getting back to our key spot. Favorite overall experience. I still have the shirt. July 1, 1987.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 11:42 am
@Linkat,

it was three nights -- can't recall which night i went, but it was a miserable rainy night.

The Clash opened for them...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 12:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
The only band that matters.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 12:13 pm
My favorite was Bob Dylan in Long Beach CA. It was so soon after the release of the album Highway 61 Revisited that he was still using the same musicians. I got to hear him for the first half do all acoustic, some of his better old songs and then after the break he did his new album, sounding very nearly like the album. As a bonus, Barry McGuire was about three rows in front of me. I only found out when he got up during break to visit backstage.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 01:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

it was three nights -- can't recall which night i went, but it was a miserable rainy night.

The Clash opened for them...

Yeah that right the Clash opened - but I went on a nice night
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 01:07 pm
@Linkat,
It is a huge regret that I never saw The Clash.

I have seen Joe Strummer on his own, he did play a lot of Clash songs.

A friend of mine was hitchhiking once, and he stopped and gave them a lift, by all accounts he was a lovely bloke.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 04:53 pm
@izzythepush,
So Izzy - were they touring Quark, Strangeness and Charm? With Rob Calvert?
hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 04:56 pm
@jespah,
I would have loved to have seen Waitresses, Joe Jackson, Talk Talk at that time (well maybe a little earlier for Joe Jackson I'm A Man and Look Sharp are classics).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 07:23 pm
In 1980 on a total lark I went to a Kiss concert.
I had a good friend who was in a band and I think he had been raving about how great a show that Kiss put on.
He wasn’t lying - they put on a helluva show. I remember tripping out when Gene Simmons flew down to the stage on wires - from way up in the rafters - with his unseemly tongue wagging all the way.

Somehow I had ended up with a seat only about 15 rows back from the stage, which was good and bad. Good because I got a full blown Kiss Experience, not missing a note or a move. Bad, because I was functionally deaf for a good three hours afterwards.

😃
Mame

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 07:35 pm
@snood,
Did you get spit on by Gene Simmons? That would be bad Smile
snood

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 07:57 pm
@Mame,
No I was spared that particular part of the Kiss experience.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 11:19 pm
@Mame,
The first concert I remember attending was probably around 1981.

And I remember that there were several performers in that particular concert. The performers included The Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, The Sequence, and Kurtis Blow. I'm not sure if there were any other performers in that concert. This is based on what I remember.

The following is a list of concerts I remember attending throughout my lifetime. I listed these concerts in alphabetical order to help me organize my thoughts..

I'm sure I probably forgot to mention some concerts.

1. Afrika Bambaata & The Soul Sonic Force
2. Atlantic Starr
3. Arrested Development
4. Barry White
5. Bell Biv Devoe
6. Blackstreet
7. Blue Magic
8. Cameo
9. Con Funk Shun
10. The Delfonics
11. The Dramatics
12. Diana Ross
13. Dazz Band
14. Earth Wind & Fire
15. Envogue
16. Eddie Holoman
17. Friends of Distinction
18. Gladys Knight
19. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
20. Graham Central Station
21. Jonny Gills
22. Keith Sweat
23. Kurtis Blow
24. Kool Moe Dee
25. Luther Vandross
26. Morris Day & The Time
27. Midnight Star
28. Main Ingredient
29. New Edition
30. Ohio Players
31. One Way
32. The Originals
33. Prince
34. Peaches and Herb
35. The Persuasions
36. Patti Labelle
37. Run DMC
38. The Stylistics
39. Sister Sledge
40. 702
41. Sugar Hill Gang
42. The Sequence
43. Silk
44. Shannon
45. War
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 01:14 am
@hingehead,
No, it was the live 79 tour.

There was a bit of a stir because they were Hawkwind and not Hawklords.

Hawklords was the last studio album prior to the tour.

There is a live album of the tour.

But sorry, no Robert Calvert which was a disappointment.

Tim Blake was in the lineup.

He was also in the lineup for the 50 year anniversary gig.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 03:13 am
@Real Music,
I’m very envious of your list. Especially EWF. Them and Stevie Wonder are two I always wanted, and never got to see.
I had an opportunity to go see EWF two years or so ago, but it didn’t hold the same allure for me since Maurice White is no longer there.
And Stevie Wonder has lost a lot in live performance also.
(Haven’t we all? I know, but I won’t charge anyone $75-200 to see me)😃
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2021 06:37 am
New Documentary coming out called Summer of Soul about the Harlem Cultural Festival in 1969 when Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone, BB King and Mahalia Jackson played to an audience of 300,000+ people.

This was the same year as Woodstock and Neil Armstrong on the moon, but while those two events have iconic status the Harlem Cultural Festival has been largely forgotten. This documentary aims to put things right.

I can’t post links and most of the above post is paraphrased from the BBC website.