The Human Race is doing just fine!

Mame

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 08:32 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Beavers have dammed rivers and destroyed habitats.

I haven't seen any "Damn the beavers"concerts or protests from any otters or fish (Where's Bono when you need 'em???). Oh! That's because they only dam what's inconvenient to HUMANS who have encroached on the beaver habitat.

Quote:
And yes, animals have discarded waste in their environment causing problems for other species.

I'd like to see some photos of their discarded waste (what?? poop and pee and maybe a few slivers from a tree?) and how exactly has it caused problems for other species (who are also discarding poop and pee)? Has some species delivered a report on this problem that I haven't heard about?

I definitely think all beavers should be shot due to their destruction of their own environment, not to mention other species' environment. Maybe we can all make hats out of their fur and sell them around the world.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 09:09 am
@Mame,
and what about all that plastic beaver candy wrappers and ****. WHY THEM LITTLE BASTIDS.

When max steps in it he goes up to the neck but fighting all the way
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 09:10 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Why do you care how long it continues? You won't be here.

I couldn't tell you why I do it, but I share Max's hope that humanity survives and prospers into the far distant future.

I even hope we survive the death of the sun by traveling to a new star.

Mame wrote:
Your two political parties can't agree on anything and the one is so screwed I'd be surprised if the USA is ever considered a world leader again.

I think every five years or so the US should smash one of the little countries just to remind the world who's boss.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 09:12 am
@izzythepush,
max has no idea about natural ecological systems so he comes off as a bit clueless on this subject
izzythepush

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 09:33 am
@farmerman,
And many other subjects.

He claims to be an expert physicist, but I would never take his word on anything.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 09:34 am
@farmerman,
I've never seen anyone other than myself prove Max wrong about anything.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 09:50 am
@oralloy,
perhaps you should find someone you could impress with that observation. The arguments revolve around the facts and evidence not some masturbatory assertions.
It always seems to wanna come back to you eh?

Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 09:53 am
A World Without Bees | History

What would happen if the world's bees disappeared?
Jon Hoekstra of the World Wildlife Fund reveals what a world without bees would be like.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 09:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The arguments revolve around the facts and evidence not some masturbatory assertions.

That's why Max and I always win and you always lose.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 10:02 am
@oralloy,
done playin with yourself? now go back to the basement and play War Hammer with your other loser friends
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 10:05 am
The destruction of the Amazon, explained.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 10:08 am
Amazon rainforest | Ecosystems

Let's Explore the world's largest tropical rainforest, and its extremely diverse ecosystem.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 10:23 am
Marvin Gaye - Everybody Needs Love Smile

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 08:42 am
@Real Music,
max bailed i think he thought it over
maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 09:13 am
@farmerman,
Huh?

I expressed my points. I will reiterate them for you again if you would like.

1. I think the human race has made great progress, across the planet, in health, food security, reducing war, life expentancy, productivity and human rights. I didn't see you express an opinion on this.

2. I believe you can celebrate the architecture of Gaudi, the music of Bethoven and Miles Davis, robots on mars, the progress made in human rights. Being happy for these things doesn't take away from the real challenges we still have.

3. I don't think humanity is on the brink of extinction.

4. I agree that the Earth has a "carrying capacity". I agree that we should be paying attention to resources. In spite of this, I don't believe present circumstances indicate that human civilization is about to crash.

5. I accept that there are problems including global climate change, deforestation and poverty.

6. I don't see the need (or benefit) to answer every personal squabble. The fact that I no longer feel the urge to respond to every insult is something I consider to be a sign of personal growth. I am trying to respond less to personal slights or silly squabbles, and clearly I still have work to do.

When a discussion devolves into mudslinging, "bailing" seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Is there anything else you want from me?
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 10:21 am
@maxdancona,
so , no matter if we make anything else extonct, we are immune from our own action eh?

honesty, you seem to not possess an ability to recalculate . I think when your thought is dumb, youneed to be told so.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 10:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

...And yes, animals have discarded waste in their environment causing problems for other species.

But even this is part of a natural environment and helps -

https://twitter.com/whalesorg/status/1125422469001560064

#Whale poo rules! Pile of poo

The nutrients that are released through whales' poo are essential to the growth of phytoplankton and healthy marine ecosystems.

Let’s #SaveOurOcean, both species & seabed habitats.

Find out how whales help combat climate change: http://bit.ly/2GXpJ8W

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5onygEX4AEL9Aw?format=jpg&name=small

But in a small support of Max - I do think that humans are waking up and trying to do things to help the environment.

Maybe I am an optimist or maybe I just have too many friends and family that are involved in saving our fellow creatures and our environment. I do get to see a lot of the positives.
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 10:32 am
@Linkat,
The - animals are evil and destroying nature - I don't buy. Now granted yes some of what is said is true --- the difference being animals are not innately cruel. When they act in the way that us humans consider cruel - they are instinctively doing so. They do not think hmm - I am going to kill this gazelle because I like to destroy another animal. They do so instinctively.

Some humans on the other hand, do just that hurt another animal - for the distinct pleasure of being cruel. Humans have the distinct ability to make a decision and reason this out and can understand the cruelty of it.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 11:12 am
@Linkat,
I don't see humans as innately cruel either

Humans are animals. We weren't put in current form by so omniscient creator. We evolved from earlier forms just like any other animal, and are just as much products of evolution and instinct as any other creature.

When you read Jane Goodall and other talking about Chimapanzees waging war on each other, it is hard to not connect their behavior with similar human actions in war. Chimapanzees kill children of their eneies with glee, they celebrate bloodshed, they take and kill prisoners.

Chimpanzees are among our closest genetic relatives. I have difficulty the moral difference between Chimpanzee violence and similar behavior from their Human primate cousins. (I accept that humans now have the ability for symbolic thought... although this is a spectrum rather than a clear line).

I have trouble believing that Orcas hunting for sport is very much different than humans. The orcas clearly enjoy the activity, I imagine that the orcas get the same adreniline rush and sense of pleasure that humans get. Humans should know better.... but the reasons for hunting for sport are likely the same. There is something instinctively pleasurable in hunting and killing things. That is why people do it, same for humans as it is for any other creature. Humans like hunting for sport because there was an evolutionary advantage to developing this trait.

Every animal is working to expand its territory. Many animals, including humans, kill member of their own species to ensure the spread of their own genes or control territory and resources. Every animal, including human beings, is strongly influenced by instincts that have been developed over millions of years of evolution.

Human beings are unique in that we have developed symbolic thinking and the ability to develop concepts like right and wrong. I think that makes human beings special, and sure, it means we have to go through this period of development as we face our innate instincts to form ourselves into something better.

I don't accept that humans are evil.
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 11:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

When you read Jane Goodall and other talking about Chimapanzees waging war on each other, it is hard to not connect their behavior with similar human actions in war. Chimapanzees kill children of their eneies with glee, they celebrate bloodshed, they take and kill prisoners.

Chimps and apes do this to continue their blood line. You are attributing human emotions onto animals.

I actually not only have read Jane Goodall, but have met her in person and have heard her speak. They appear human like in many ways - but the killing is instinctive to promote their bloodline. You attribute a glee look of an animal perhaps their screaming sounding like they are celebrating - but they are not human and you cannot give human attributes to animals.

Even Jane Goodall states that this is evolutionarily and adaptive not cruelty. There is also speculation that these "wars" are a result of limited forests - due to man destroying their natural habit - that they fight to survive due to limited resources - this is for their natural survival not to be cruel.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:14:45