Is this weathering or human made?

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2021 01:05 am
This is northern Mexico, I wonder if the holes in the rock are human made, and if geology can create these shapes in the other rocks. See how these rocks look like carved along the edges, like rounded.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tjUPE3y2jVpHMvvT8
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 605 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2021 10:13 am
@tlatoanitzin,
one needs to look at numbers of samples adn the depositional environment in which they exist.
1 Are there any examples of sample pic # 2 or is that a one off

2 IS the environment made up of rounded rocks that lie in areas that look like sheet wash or stream channels or do the rounded rocks look like they are placed their by other means?

3Are you able to get a geologic map of the area and place yourself in a specific depoitional environmnt that answers some of your concern?

4 Is the chipped rock in number 2 pix lying near a "tool rock" that could have battered it?

5 are there examples of human occupation in the area that would suggest mean of human intervention or transport?

Look t the big picture if youre interested in the question or if youre doing this for an assignment. Your logical steps at arriving at a conclusive answer that stands scrutiny is more important than pulling down a quick answer.
I don't think anyone whose trained in arriving at answers would offer a quickee position without seeing way more of the field area and its maps. Mexico's geological service is quite good, consult them and they can give you the "what issit" and more importantly, the why's

tlatoanitzin

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2021 11:15 pm
@farmerman,
More examples of pic#2, the last pic is from rearside.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pRvay71JHKpPsRpTA
All rocks from first album are on hilltop. The area comprises some stream channels and one gully. A geological map says the place is chiefly granodeorite. I could not perceive any battering stone tool. There are other vestiges of human occupation.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2021 11:42 pm
@tlatoanitzin,
sounds lik youre on the road to an anwer. Is the human habitation evidence expressive of battering by work stones?

Im till a bit reluctant to omit natural causes. A few of the rocks you show are other than grano- diorite. Is there evidence of high frost heaving in higher elevations? . interesting stuff, get a field trip together with some folks and gps the locations and preferred directions of those chucks. We have similar features on Diabase rocks found in the Susquehanna River bends in central Pennsylvania
tlatoanitzin

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2021 12:16 am
@farmerman,
Before the answer, I'm on the road of assistance. The human habitation of today is not expressive of battering by work stones. Past human habitation is expressive. I think some of the boulders show frost heaving features, but I am not sure. I wonder if the grooves in these rocks are frost weathering evidence. I wonder if all features in these rocks can be explained by frost weathering. More than an answer, I have many questions and I need help.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HDNBuV1vUDGc2GnZ7

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2021 11:40 am
@tlatoanitzin,
The more pix you post of the broader area, it looks more and more like physical weathering. Remember, the rocks may be very ol but the wethering is fairly recent. So it looks like physical abrasion.All the roaks that contain the markings seem to show evidence of water borne weathering , because the rock are rounded. Usully in water borne weathering there is evidence of "tool marks" from other rocks being carried along and striking the bigger one. You said there was evidence of streambeds , what evidence do you think explains that?

Some of the tool marks seem aligned and I ve seen this kind of liner wethering wehere the big rocks were held in a stream bed and were struck as the water carried the "tools" that did the hammering, ususally we see those aligned from the present surface since it may have been a depth at which the big rockes were buried in the stream ned.
Still interesting worthy of pix to use as classroom examples.
Also there seems to be some evidence that the bigger rocks carried Concretions,(rounded balls of some style sediment that appered in active high energy environments). Think of piles of tumbleweeds stacked into a mass.
tlatoanitzin

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 07:05 pm
@farmerman,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L8oMxQUPKRFzJhqB9
I forgot to mention the place is dessertic, almost does not rain, and is windy. There are small stream channels and a gully. At first I thought these channels were permanent streams in the past and dried up. But now I realize that running rain water may have created these channels. Time ago I found the gully and I believed that it was a geological fault, I wasn't aware of the other stream channels. Now I believe, as you said, rapid, sudden flow of running water may have created the gully and the stream channels. Now I realize that rock in pic 3 of albumc1 looks like low level water flow eroded the flanks or the contour. What do you mean with weathering may be recent?, I though it could have millions of years. I have to solve more clues. Do you have some email to send you evidences of what I talked about, so you have the whole picture and could consider human factor.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 04:17 am
@tlatoanitzin,
you can message me through my name at A2K. Iy works pretty well.

When you look at a rock specimen, it sontains the footprinrs of verything that has acted on it. If the rock is rounded and edges are smoothed off this is usually one of the latest things to imprint on the specimen.

Send me a pic of a speimen and Ill try to explain the "footprint" concept. Onc you se how you can interpret sedimentary rocks by their history of all the footprints. We call the entire concept rock formation or sedimentology and its all a process
0 Replies