Birth Tourism

gollum

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 04:42 am
I have read of young Chinese women coming to the United States to give birth and then I think returning to China with their babies. Their purpose is to give the baby U.S. citizenship.

Separately, I have read that China does not allow its citizens to have dual citizenship.

Which is correct?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 6
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 05:12 am
@gollum,
Both can be correct.

America doesn’t recognise duel citizenship either, which is why Boris Johnson had to revoke his in order not to pay American taxes.
gollum

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 06:20 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush-

I don't understand. I guess I will find a book to read about it.

There are people who are citizens of both the U.S. and of Israel.

I am told there are U.S. citizens who have volunteered and served in the Israel Defense Forces.

I am surprised by your statement that America doesn’t recognize dual citizenship. My impression was that the U.S. allows its citizens to also be citizens of another country.

engineer

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 06:28 am
@gollum,
Read this article for some background. The US allows dual citizenship, but you must pay US taxes. Remember that the rich and well connected can often get around any restrictions and if you can afford to drop your obligations, fly to the US, live here for a month, have a child and fly home, you are likely pretty well connected. This is not something the poor and middle class pull off.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 09:46 am
I suspect that by the time these kids are adults Chinese citizenship will be worth a lot more than US citizenship.

That'll teach them.
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 03:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Not the way their government treats their citizens.

Human rights are priceless.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 May, 2021 09:32 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Not the way their government treats their citizens.

Human rights are priceless.

No they aren't.

They are for sale at $12.99 per dozen pairs at Walmart.
0 Replies