Countries with Highest Standard of Living

roger

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 02:10 am
@saab,
Glad to hear of the changes. That was insane, but regarding inherited property not so unusual in the US, either.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 02:41 am
@msolga,
It is the same in Sweden.
Some people have a small income, but still have a good standard of living as they work/ed and got what it takes to have a good standard of living and know how to handle money.
Others cannot deal with money at all. They are broke in the middle of the month.
I know someone who stopped working when he was between 40-45 lived with and off his mother. And that for over 20 years till his mother died. His pension is very small, but gets money from the state for his apartment and money from his sister for luxery. Should I feel sorry for him? Never he is so lazy and not even ashamed of it. And 100% healthy.
We have homeless people in Sweden too, usually alcoholics or drug addicts.
They do get help in many ways from the state, which in reality means I have already shared my "wealth" with them. They need it as they often are sick as alcoholism is an illness.
msolga

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 02:55 am
@saab,
Saab, what I was talking about was who actually shared in the "mineral boom" in Australia.
This has no relevance as how ordinary households have managed their available income in your country.
It is to do with how the financial benefits of this boom have been distributed within the broad Australian community.
Suggestions from official sources that everyone has gained are simply not true.
kindn3ss

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 01:10 pm
@Amigo,
You don't want to hear it. Weather is sooooo depressing. That's why I'm out of it. Smile Rain, snow... is what you'll see most of the year. There is sun too, but not too much. However - if weather is not a problem for you, I recommend you'll go there. Norway is the BEST country I've ever lived in... I'm now in the USA and not happy (although I have a great wonderful job that I'll never leave, great house, car, family,... I have most of everything one need - but something is still missing and that's the Norwegian culture which I can't find it here; USA Crime - oh my; there are many other things that's not worth it to mention. USA Immigrants know it very well.). I might go back to Norway, sometimes in future. But for now - my target is either Australia or New Zealand. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 01:18 pm
@msolga,
I learned on my last/recent visit to Australia that they have a "false economy," because of the trade with China that impacts GDP, and their demand for raw materials that does not affect the majority. Not only our Tour Director, but the bus driver in Sydney told us the same thing. Many are struggling.
0 Replies

subtleties

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 08:57 am
@Stray Cat,
It's always the Scandinavian countries.

I want visit Norway or Denmark... I also heard college is free there; no wonder they're always so happy with life
bhavinsgindia

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 05:13 am
@Stray Cat,
Cat thanks for this information regarding highest standard of living country.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 05:30 am
@bhavinsgindia,
subtleties,
I've been to both Denmark (once) and Norway (twice). I highly recommend Norway's coastal cruise that goes from Bergen to the Russian border up north for the round trip (12 days). I did this cruise a few years ago, and it's considered one of the most beautiful cruises of the world - and I agree. However, be prepared to pay a fortune for meals; lunch is $50 and dinner is $100 (while in Bergen). Beer is $10 and wine is $14 (for coolaide). Otherwise, you'll enjoy the visit to several coastal cities along the way that are pristine and modern. You'll also get a chance to visit North Point - although this is not the most northern destination one can visit. Use the Hertigruten line for the best deals; they run every day, it includes three meals a day, because it's a working ship that stops at almost all the ports along the way. Some stops are short, so you can't walk around in the cities, but there are plenty of opportunities to visit many. They also offer optional tours, and I can recommend a few of them if you wish.

There's also an extension to Oslo which I also recommend.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 06:42 am
@subtleties,
It is about half a year since you said you want to visit Norway or Denmark.
If you still plan to do so I would suggest you to go by train and combine it by coach now and then. Especially in Sweden there are many coaches. The coaches takes you to smaller towns too.
If you want to learn about the country and get in contact with people take train and coach. But the chances to meet people and see the country is athis is still the best way. The Scandinavians are not so talkative. Be careful in Sweden not to get into a "silent" traincompartment - there you are not allowed to talk at all!!!
It can be a good idea to stay in youth hostels as they are so much cheaper than hotels, lunch is usually cheaper than going out to eat in the evening. At that time I would recommend to buy some sandwiches and something to drink.
Alcohol in restaurants is very expensive.
If you want to get to know a country and meet natives and see more of big cities, small towns and the countryside - do not take a cruise.
0 Replies

GenerationXY

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:20 am
@Prince El,
Canada is best among all...But How ???
Actually Canada has more space than others and a man can find more opportunity there rather than others. If you are skilled or highly educated then Canada is ready to welcome you and you can enjoy a good career there easily.
0 Replies