Babysitting boundaries

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 07:55 am
I’ve been babysitting for a family for about 2 months now. When I started they showed me the cameras in their house and explained they use them to ensure their children’s safety, which is totally okay! However, recently they confronted me about what they saw on the cameras while the children were asleep. They were timing my bathroom breaks and watching me drink water, and accused me of smoking. They asked what i was doing in the bathroom & why i was drinking my water. I feel uncomfortable now knowing they watch and listen to every second that I’m there, even when the kids are asleep. Is this normal and something i should get passed or is it really weird?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 826 • Replies: 7

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 01:24 pm
@purplegiraffe,
They sound like a nightmare to work for.

Timing your bathroom breaks?

Who do they think they are, Amazon?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 01:27 pm
@purplegiraffe,
I wouldn't put up with that...

... unless they were paying me a hell of a lot.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 02:36 pm
@purplegiraffe,
How much do you need this job? Could you find another babysitting gig?

I know in some areas it is hard to find a good babysitter - so they should appreciate you more.

If you think you can easily find another job, I would be polite, firm and honest with them. That you feel uncomfortable for them monitoring your breaks. That every employee is entitled to have bathroom breaks and other breaks without some one watching them or monitoring them. And to be honest it is none of their business what you do in the bathroom. Tell them overall this makes you feel uncomfortable to the point you are considering employment elsewhere (now only say that if you truly feel you can get another gig or that you do not need it).

Really you are a human being and should be treated that way - outside of while you are caring for their child - they should not be even watching you.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 05:29 am
@purplegiraffe,
purplegiraffe wrote:

I’ve been babysitting for a family for about 2 months now. When I started they showed me the cameras in their house and explained they use them to ensure their children’s safety, which is totally okay! However, recently they confronted me about what they saw on the cameras while the children were asleep. They were timing my bathroom breaks and watching me drink water, and accused me of smoking. They asked what i was doing in the bathroom & why i was drinking my water. I feel uncomfortable now knowing they watch and listen to every second that I’m there, even when the kids are asleep. Is this normal and something i should get passed or is it really weird?

This is not even close to normal. It actually has a tinge of danger to it.

If you were a relative of mine and you told me this story, I would do everything I could to get you to quit today.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 09:51 am
@purplegiraffe,
purplegiraffe wrote:

They were timing my bathroom breaks and watching me drink water, and accused me of smoking. They asked what i was doing in the bathroom & why i was drinking my water. I feel uncomfortable now knowing they watch and listen to every second that I’m there, even when the kids are asleep. Is this normal and something i should get passed or is it really weird?

Yes it's weird. Why would anyone a) time your bathroom breaks and b) ask you what you were doing in there? It's pretty obvious, don't you think?

I agree - I wouldn't work for them anymore.
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 09:52 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

They sound like a nightmare to work for.

Timing your bathroom breaks?

Who do they think they are, Amazon?

lol
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2021 10:26 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Yes it's weird. Why would anyone a) time your bathroom breaks and b) ask you what you were doing in there? It's pretty obvious, don't you think?

I agree - I wouldn't work for them anymore.

Ha ha - this just made me think - maybe you should be very explicit on what you are doing - umm I was pooping and it was a tough one - it took a long time to come out. Next time I will save it for you --- for evidence of what I was doing.
0 Replies