How to get 2.5 y/o to learn

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 08:52 pm
I have a two and a half year old I babysit that still doesn't talk but saying her made up words. If she wants something, she'll get up and cry but won't tell me what she wants. Whenever I try and get her involved in an activity such as painting or blowing bubbles. All she wants to do is throw everything or just sit there with a smile on get face. I've tried getting her to copy me but she won't. Her parents only go over colors and shapes. But never let her have fun or learn anything else. How do I get her to learn other things or even play?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:02 pm
@Sophie309045,
Sounds very much like my autistic son at that age. You'll find lots of information on the internet which will give you an idea as to whether she has autism or not (looking at eye contact, language, gesture, the way she plays with her toys etc) . I would be happy to give you ideas for techniques you can use, for example to get her to copy you, but really it's the parents' job to have their child assessed and seek professional help. Are they focussing on colours and shapes because it is something she can already do and so it makes them feel better about the stuff she can't do? It would be very typical for an autistic child to be good with naming shapes and letters but not say regular things like 'mummy' or 'bye-bye'.
0 Replies