glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 01:58 pm
@snood,
Yes......22.5 years
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 01:59 pm
@snood,
He will never be allowed to own a gun and will be registered as a predatory offender.
BillW

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 02:11 pm
@glitterbag,
Early out for good behavior - 15 years. It is low, but it is significant in that it happened. Chauvin still has two Federal trials, so there maybe more time for him. Regardless, he will be in jail until at least 2037.
Joeblow

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 03:04 pm
I'm still processing how I feel about it. It's a decade more than the presumptive sentence, but I'm feeling disappointed.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 05:21 pm
@BillW,
If he's not dead by then. And I hope the next two trials pile on more time.
oralloy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 05:34 pm
@Mame,
Why? The current sentence seems fair.
snood

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 06:08 pm
@oralloy,
He still may be convicted of other crimes that add additional sentences.
oralloy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 06:15 pm
@snood,
That doesn't explain why she would hope for such an outcome.
BillW

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 06:18 pm
@snood,
The trial where he hit the kid over the head with a flashlight is especially open to more time with more time added for extenuating circumstances. Add to that, he is now a felon - well, there could be quit a few more years added on!
oralloy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 06:48 pm
@BillW,
That's a separate crime. It would be fair to prosecute him for that too.

Although since I don't think the kid died, I would not expect there to be a huge sentence for that.

What I question is adding federal charges for the crime that he was just sentenced for.
snood

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 06:53 pm
@oralloy,
I wasn’t trying to explain that. I was merely stating the simple fact that he may in fact end up facing more than 22.5 years.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 09:01 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

What I question is adding federal charges for the crime that he was just sentenced for.

I don't know US law, so I have no idea why he'd be facing federal charges, as well... I could google it, but I just don't care that much.

What I'm glad about is that he's no longer a police officer able (and apparently willing) to inflict his own definition of justice on people, and that this sends a message (and maybe sets a precedent) to other law enforcement officers.
snood

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 09:11 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Why? The current sentence seems fair.

That seems odd to me, that you think it’s a fair sentence. Didn’t you say you don’t even think Chauvin meant to kill Floyd?
BillW

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2021 09:53 pm
@Mame,
The greatest importance of this case is that law officers can not just take a person's life and expect no repercussions if this action isn't just. This case goes one step further and we can now insert "black" in front of "person" to insure their rights in a situation such as this are also insured in a Federal view.

As to your other point, there are a number of times the Federal Government can step into State matters of law. As per:

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson Quotes

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

A law officer has dramatically overstepped a citizens civil rights if they take their life Willy Nilly even it is believed they had committed a minor illegal act such as trying to pass a bogus $20 bill.

The Federal Government steps in where it feels State Powers oversteps an individual persons Civil Rights:

Quote:
Civil rights, guarantees of equal social opportunities and equal protection under the law, regardless of race, religion, or other personal characteristics.

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2021 12:53 pm
@BillW,
Quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

rl

"Its just that Some pigs are created more equal than others" Orwell"
ANIMAL FARM
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2021 03:47 pm
We got justice, but not much of it.

How could Jefferson write “All men are created equal...” and still own human beings?

Jefferson acquired most of the over six hundred  people he owned during his life through the natural increase of enslaved families.

He acquired approximately 175 enslaved people through inheritance: about 40 from the estate of his father, Peter Jefferson, in 1764, and 135 from his father-in-law, John Wayles, in 1774.

Jefferson purchased fewer than twenty slaves in his lifetime - about the same number as those who managed to escape.

Jefferson freed two people during his life. He freed five people in his will. He allowed two or three people to escape without pursuit, and recommended informal freedom for two others.

In total, of the more than six hundred people Jefferson enslaved, he freed only ten people – all members of the same family.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2021 04:23 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
This case goes one step further and we can now insert "black" in front of "person"
I don't think that any case should ever be tried based on the colour of the persons skin - whether they are the victim, or the perpetrator. And nor should the outcome ever be viewed as such. I understand that is what is being fought for, but that is not how a criminal court case should ever be run, or decided, or say.
Quote:
to insure their rights in a situation such as this
The repercussions of the decisions are a different matter - they can say "the decision reiterrates / reaffirms that black people have always had these rights - that have too often been ignored" (or similar).

To clarify - I am never a fan of inserting into writing, a specific race, or a specific colour, in front of 'person' when it comes to law. Doing so can't help but create more divides than it solves. I am a fan of 'you cannot discriminate based on race, colour etc' (where the race / colour etc is left open - as this is equal for all)
oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2021 05:00 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
That seems odd to me, that you think it's a fair sentence.

Well he did wrongfully and criminally kill someone. Murder is a pretty serious offense.

snood wrote:
Didn't you say you don't even think Chauvin meant to kill Floyd?

Yes. That is a clear fact.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2021 05:07 pm
In Kenosha, the cop who shot the guy in the back 7 times got reinstated. More trouble ahead for my hometown.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2021 05:28 pm
@vikorr,
per Farmerman:
"Its just that Some pigs are created more equal than others" Orwell"
ANIMAL

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:26:21