The Derek Chauvin Trial

oralloy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 05:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Slightly off topic, but not really.

I need to drive my two-year-old to daycare tomorrow morning. To ensure we arrive alive, we won't take public transit (Oscar Grant). I removed all air fresheners from the vehicle and double-checked my registration status (Daunte Wright), and ensured my license plates were visible (Lt. Caron Nazario). I will be careful to follow all traffic rules (Philando Castille), signal every turn (Sandra Bland), keep the radio volume low (Jordan Davis), and won't stop at a fast food chain for a meal (Rayshard Brooks). I'm too afraid to pray (Rev. Clementa C. Pickney) so I just hope the car won't break down (Corey Jones).
When my wife picks him up at the end of the day, I'll remind her not to dance (Elijah McClain), stop to play in a park (Tamir Rice), patronize the local convenience store for snacks (Trayvon Martin), or walk around the neighborhood (Mike Brown). Once they are home, we won't stand in our backyard (Stephon Clark), eat ice cream on the couch (Botham Jean), or play any video games (Atatiana Jefferson).
After my wife and I tuck him into bed around 7:30pm, neither of us will leave the house to go to Walmart (John Crawford) or to the gym (Tshyrand Oates) or on a jog (Ahmaud Arbery). We won't even walk to see the birds (Christian Cooper). We'll just sit and try not to breathe (George Floyd) and not to sleep (Breonna Taylor)." Author unknown

All you really need to do is not violently attack anyone.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 06:00 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
I am not really listening to the defense.

I'd hate to think of you ever being a juror.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 06:01 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
longjon wrote:
Judge says that Rep. Waters may cause entire Chauvin case being overturned

Well, that's not true.

Yes it is.

glitterbag wrote:
The judge said it might be used for an appeal.....but just because you file for appeal, there is no guarantee you will be granted a new trial or anything of value.

So in other words longjon is entirely correct.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 05:38 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Thanks, GB. I saw that lie and started to correct him on it, but just didn’t have the energy.

You cannot point out anything untrue in longjon's post.

snood wrote:
Facts are wasted on some folk.

Are you one of those folk? Let's see you point out any errors in longjon's post.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 05:41 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
I hope they put him in the hardest wing of the hardest prison that houses nothing but black men who have been beaten by cops.

Charming.

Mr. Chauvin will almost certainly be headed to a low security prison for nonviolent inmates.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 05:42 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
You're on the wrong forum, buddy... You should be on a proud boys site or something... you are at 1000:1 odds here. Go be with your buds and move on.

His intelligent arguments are more appropriate here than your name-calling.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 05:48 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Yeah, but those "split second decisions" all need to be looked at individually. I think a lot of folks have died needlessly because police have been able to hide too easily behind "fearing for their lives".
Philando Castille comes immediately to mind.

Philando Castille disobeyed instructions and kept reaching for an unknown object.

snood wrote:
If closer examination of each fatal police shooting is one reform result of this latest business, that's a good thing.

I can agree with that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:22 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I have not read through all the responses so please forgive me for repeating anything. I did not because I am avoiding the political rants and racist rants -- like how the h*ll does it make sense first off to say conservatives look at mass murder of school children as freedom? Be honest with yourself -- do you think anyone thinks this way? And what does that have to do with this case?

It has nothing to do with the case.

The person who posted that has a delusion that mass murders are caused by gun ownership, and was complaining about the Second Amendment.

Linkat wrote:
So my personal thoughts -- I do support the police -- however, I support the honest good police that are risking their lives (although we do know they sign up for this they do deserve some level of respect) to help protect others. At first glance I am feeling wow this is tough this guy was just doing his police work and is now going to jail probably for life -- his whole life is ruined because of a bad mistake. Then I start looking deeper -- no he knew better, there is little doubt there was hate behind his actions. It was not a quick reflex to try to protect himself or others. He had time to pull back. He was wrong and he knew better -- that is murder. So I no longer feel "bad" for him. I feel he is a murder no less than if some random guy on the street hated someone else for no reason than what he looked at and did the same thing.

Why do you think there was hate behind his actions? It looks to me like he didn't even realize that he was killing the guy.

Linkat wrote:
I don't care what Floyd did -- at the time he was stopped and no threat. Why the h*ll would you continue to harm the man? Makes no logical sense.

It was probably to punish him for resisting arrest.

Linkat wrote:
We all need to take a look at ourselves and be kinder to others. Stop blaming others - right here on this thread we are the problem. Stop saying dumb crap like conservatives or liberals or black or white stuff like that is causing division. Yes, we will have differences of opinion, but that is ok -- what is not ok is the cruelness and disrespect shown throughout. I, personally am sick of it and will try to ignore and not feed these individuals.

I agree a million times over. I'm tired of the name-calling too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:24 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
that's not what the trial was about. The police still have the job of preventing crimes and apprehending people who are committing crimes. The trial only established that the police are not within the law when they brutalize suspects who are in custody -- handcuffed and prone, at that -- and kill them. Is that too difficult to understand?

As far as this particular trial goes, I agree. But longjon does have a point about the overall BLM movement and it's impact on policing.

BLM's goal is to prevent the police from ever engaging with black criminals. A lack of government protection will inevitably result in private citizens forming vigilante organizations to protect themselves.

That is not a good outcome in my view, and is reason to oppose BLM.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:27 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
You are thinking something fanatical from the Turner Diaries.

Well if BLM were ever to succeed in their goals, people would in fact have to start protecting themselves through non-government means.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:38 pm
Where are you getting these supposed “BLM Goals”? Is there some organization that has published a list of demands or goals or an agenda that you can show here?
oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:42 pm
@snood,
I get it from the fact that BLM always try to lynch police officers for justified shootings.

Their goals are discernable from their actions.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:43 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
What I really wonder, though, is why they have to shoot to kill. Just shoot his leg or arm out - debilitate the person, but no one dies. It makes so much sense to just neutralize.

Attempting that sort of shot will result in more misses and just get innocent bystanders killed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:45 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Well, he certainly deserves to be suspended. Who in the hell grows these people?

Posting stuff that you don't agree with is not a reason for suspending someone.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:46 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:
I think we will see more than the minimum. Perhaps significantly more. Or, failing that, if it is the minimum for each offence, that the court will order each sentence be served consecutively, rather than congruently. It might be wishful thinking, and we'll know soon enough, but there are aggravating factors, and I think the prosecution quite rightly asked that they be reflected in the sentencing.

There is no way those sentences can be served consecutively. That would be punishing him three times for a single crime.

That said, the sentence can be up to 40 years.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:48 pm
@snood,
You didn't know, he's on the inside and gets invited to their secret terrorist meetings🤔🙄😣; or, maybe it's just a case of sanity, hmmmm, yes - that's the ticket😖🤔🤗
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:49 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I think one step towards police reform would be to require an investigation every time an officer pulls a gun from the holster. Take the officers who pulled guns on an Army medic during a traffic stop in Virginia (then pepper sprayed him at gunpoint then let him go telling him if he said anything they would report him to his superiors.) If they knew that pulling the guns would result in an automatic investigation, they might have thought twice.

What is wrong with them pulling their guns? The guy was refusing to comply with their directives. I'm surprised they didn't get their shotguns out.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:52 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
A law that makes it legal to mow down protesters with a motor vehicle if they are blocking a street (this would excuse things like the murder of Heather Heyer who was run over by James Fields during a BLM protest 4 years ago)

That will mean that progressives can't lynch innocent travelers anymore.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:53 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
What do you think about making it legal to run over political protestors?

I'm not the person you asked, but I think it is a great way of preventing progressives from lynching innocent travelers.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2021 06:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
that one is so absurd that it might as well have come from The Onion...

Hardly absurd. It is wrong for progressives to lynch people.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:42:17