The Derek Chauvin Trial

izzythepush

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 03:19 pm
It’s more a sense of relief than anything else.

0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 03:23 pm
Justice today. It's a start....
Mame

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 03:26 pm
@Joeblow,
Well, hello, Joeblow! Think snood's already celebrating?
Joeblow

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 03:30 pm
@Mame,
If by celebrating you mean breathing again, then yes : )
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 03:34 pm
I hope that he actually was guilty. I'd hate to live in a country where courts were ruled by threats of violence and doxxing.
snood

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 03:35 pm
To some people, this will undoubtedly be interpreted as a sure sign that the system can work.

I would remind those people of a few things...

He committed murder on video in broad daylight, viewed from multiple angles with a dozen eyewitnesses who all validated an identical account.

The murder caused an international outrage and sparked worldwide protests that lasted a year.

He had fellow officers, peers and superiors - including the chief of police of the city - testify against him and condemn his actions.

He had the chief medical officer that conducted the autopsy on his victim call the death a homicide and testify that the direct cause was his knee on the neck.

IT TOOK ALL THIS to convict this man - AND EVEN THEN we weren’t 100% certain of justice.

So, until we can convict a white cop without having to have a perfect storm of evidence and witnesses; until we can reasonably expect to get a fair outcome EVERY TIME a cop is indicted...

I will hold off on celebrating a brave new world of justice in America.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 03:50 pm
I feel nothing but sadness at the moment. I think of all the slam dunk cases dismissed, the vilification of every victim, the roots and history that allows this situation and I don't feel confident that much has changed. Our work is cut out for us if anything positive is to develop.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 04:01 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I hope that he actually was guilty.

Did you watch any of the trial?
Did you not form any opinion of your own from watching the proceedings? Or could you not be bothered?

I mean, it’s barely possible that he was prosecuted and convicted in a courtroom, and not by threats and doxxing.

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 04:15 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I hope that he actually was guilty.

Did you watch any of the trial?
Did you not form any opinion of your own from watching the proceedings? Or could you not be bothered?

I mean, it’s barely possible that he was prosecuted and convicted in a courtroom, and not by threats and doxxing.

I didn't watch every minute, but I watched some. However, I'm not a juror and neither are you. And surely, you're not unaware of the threats of mob retaliation if the wrong verdict was reached. Of course, that kind of thing has no effect on a jury at all. Just for the record, in America, people aren't tried in the media.
0 Replies

longjon

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 05:01 pm
So where are all the violent mobs of white people looting because of the verdict?
vikorr

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 05:25 pm
@snood,
Quote:
So, until we can convict a white cop without having to have a perfect storm of evidence and witnesses; until we can reasonably expect to get a fair outcome EVERY TIME a cop is indicted...
The outcome was a good, and fair outcome in my mind. However, for what you are hoping for (in blue) - unless a murder is clearcut, it is very difficult to get a convication against anyone. That's the way the system was designed. Lots of murderers are let go for lack of evidence. Some even then use the verdict to proclaim their innocence (when the verdict really should be interpreted as 'unable to be proven beyond reasonable doubt'). This is how the justice system was designed, so that innocent people don't get convicted. Unless it is very clearcut it is even more difficult to convict a police officer - for very good reasons related to dynamic/volatile interactions.

That is to say, while I would hope that all murderers get convicted so that the victims family can obtain a sense of justice - but it's (usually) way more difficult a situation than such. As a reminder, I see this conviction as a fair outcome.

There does seem to be a real problem in the US
snood

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 05:57 pm
Uh oh, people. It doesn’t appear that everyone here is pleased about today’s convictions.

Ah, well. C’est dommage.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 06:07 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:

That is to say, while I would hope that all murderers get convicted so that the victims family can obtain a sense of justice - but it's (usually) way more difficult a situation than such. As a reminder, I see this conviction as a fair outcome.

There does seem to be a real problem in the US

There is a problem everywhere....USA is more visible and because the info wasn’t suppressed like many other countries.
snood

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 06:23 pm
@Ragman,
Hey man...
It sounds like you dispute that the US has a unique problem.

We are 4.4 percent of the world’s population with 22 percent of the world’s imprisoned.

Blacks are 13.4% of the US population and 34% of the prison population.

A black man is 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police use of force than a white man.

And that’s not even to mention the proliferation of militarized and radicalized policing.

(And that doesn’t even touch on the uniquely violent American knack for accumulating guns and racking up mass murders, but that’s for another discussion)

You really believe we Americans don’t have a racism-related law enforcement problem that exceeds other nations?

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793
0 Replies

longjon

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 06:24 pm
@longjon,
Quote:
So where are all the violent mobs of white people looting because of the verdict?

Oh, that's right. White people don't form mobs, loot, murder, and burn down businesses.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 06:31 pm
@longjon,
Didn't you claim to be at the insurrection on January 6th??? That was a huge pile of white guys who looked like cast members from Deliverance, how did you miss them? They were trying to invalidate the votes of the American people? Ahhhhh come on, you remember that.
snood

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 06:31 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
The outcome was a good, and fair outcome in my mind. However, for what you are hoping for (in blue) - unless a murder is clearcut, it is very difficult to get a convication against anyone.

You quoted me and put it in pretty color, but evidently you didn’t read it. I didn’t say I wanted to be sure if a conviction in every case. I said I wanted a fair outcome in every case. We haven’t been able to expect fair outcomes. What has historically happened in this country is that cops have generally been allowed to murder black men with impunity. The justice system has generally been heavily weighted in favor of cops whenever there’s a dispute.

I meant that I want to be able to trust this system to dispense justice fairly. I don’t know how you managed to misunderstand that.
longjon

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 06:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
the "insurrection" on January 6th??? That was a huge pile of white guys

None of those "white guys" murdered anyone, looted, or burned anything down. All things that are hallmarks of the months on end of BLM riots last year.

These things are called what's known as "facts".
snood

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 06:40 pm
@longjon,
You mad, bro?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2021 06:50 pm
@longjon,
So, how do you explain the 6 deaths and badly injured Capitol police, and the looting, and smearing excrement on the walls, huh smart guy. How about a huge deception by disgruntled democrats who dressed up like Trump supports, and then stormed the capitol to steal an election that they already won????

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 01:17:32