The Derek Chauvin Trial

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2021 10:19 am
@snood,

agreed.

unless you were comatose or living under a rock last spring and summer, how could you have possibly NOT heard
the specifics of this case.

how they managed to find twelve "impartial" jurors is quite a feat...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2021 04:19 pm
I’m wondering what will happen if this psychopath is found not guilty
snood

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2021 04:49 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

I’m wondering what will happen if this psychopath is found not guilty

I don’t have a crystal ball, but I can make an educated guess.

- It will be the latest, biggest, possibly final blow to the hopes of a particular population. That is, those of us who had already given up hope in the justice system, but had allowed ourselves to believe that just maybe THIS was an egregious enough, obvious enough example of depraved violence by police that it would finally get the country to start reckoning with it. What we will do with that disappointment and rage, I don’t know.

-It will embolden those police who might be prone to use any excuse at all to throw their weight around, and bully and brutalize and kill.
It will give them even a stronger sense of invincibility.

-It will trigger a lot more protests that turn a lot more violent.

- It will trigger some to carry out retaliation toward law enforcement.
jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 06:01 am
Derek Chauvin is a murderer and I’m hoping he is convicted but all it takes is one racist juror and he can be set free!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 06:43 am
@snood,
I thought her initial spontanious response was very impactful! I suppose I'm not supposed to love it, but I did. I wish the prosecution had asked one or two more pointed questions with respect to the study, rather than dismissing it as just unamerican, but they'll get another crack at it I'm sure when the duelling experts begin.

I poked around a bit (linking is a real hassle on this phone), and as far as I can see, the study looked at "final" resting position and "sudden" death. Lots of other apples/oranges of note as well.
snood

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 07:09 am
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

I thought her initial spontanious response was very impactful! I suppose I'm not supposed to love it, but I did. I wish the prosecution had asked one or two more pointed questions with respect to the study, rather than dismissing it as just unamerican, but they'll get another crack at it I'm sure when the duelling experts begin.

I poked around a bit (linking is a real hassle on this phone), and as far as I can see, the study looked at "final" resting position and "sudden" death. Lots of other apples/oranges of note as well.

The bottom line is that US law enforcement has long underreported deaths at the hands of police.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 07:50 am
@snood,
Hell yes, but under reporting isn't the trial issue. I'm responding to the defence tactic of referencing a study he infers supports his contention that Chauvin did not commit murder. I wanted the prosecution to destroy the notion completely, which I think would be rightly and easily done, and expect they'll get another chance to do that.
snood

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 07:54 am
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

Hell yes, but under reporting isn't the trial issue. I'm responding to the defence tactic of referencing a study he infers supports his contention that Chauvin did not commit murder. I wanted the prosecution to destroy the notion completely, which I think would be rightly and easily done, and expect they'll get another chance to do that.

Do you think that report was of significant enough help to the defense that it’s necessary for the prosecution to refute it?
Joeblow

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 08:05 am
@snood,
Not to me, which is why I loved her response.

Did you think the prosecution debunked the study by essentially just dismissing it as unamerican?
snood

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 08:14 am
@Joeblow,
It’s hard to predict how it will affect the jury. But if they are reasonably intelligent and have been paying a reasonable amount of attention, they have seen that the defense’s whole case is a collection of pieces (that ‘study being one piece) of info thrown together in a desperate attempt to try to deflect from the fact that Chauvin squeezed the life out of Mr Floyd.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 08:57 am
@snood,
I discussed this trial a little my granddaughter and I expressed my fear of it going bad and what will happen afterward. She said, she will be there if there are any new protest movements after the trial. She is bi-racial but I don't think that has a much to do with it because my other granddaughter feels just as strongly the same way and she is not bi-racial but white. She got in fights on FB with family members over the riots last summer. So did I, some of them I don't talk to anymore at all. I feel the racial tensions are stronger now than they have been in years. But maybe I just feel it is because I am involved now.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 09:04 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
racial tensions are stronger now than they have been in years.
they are...

#ThanksTrump
izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2021 09:05 am
@revelette3,
It can’t be easy.

I’ve got reactionary relatives too, I’m just lucky that race relations in America rarely comes up in discussion.

Our main area of disagreement is over Jaco Rees Mogg, my father thinks he’s a wonderful MP and I don’t see him quite like that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 01:18 am
I am reminded of the melodramatic moment in the movie A Time to Kill when the Matthew McConaughey character says to the jury, “…now imagine she’s white.” It’s said at the end of a defense lawyer ‘s closing statement. It’s said after — in that closing statement — that defense lawyer lays out and describes for the jury the horrendous assault and rape of a 10 year old girl by two beer-swilling, racist white guys.

In the movie, the dramatic ‘a-ha’ effect of his instruction to the jury to imagine the victim is white comes from the fact that up to that moment, the all-white jury had been picturing the little black girl who had actually been the victim.

I wish it were as easy as just saying to white Americans “now imagine that George Floyd is white”, to have scales fall from eyes, and suddenly black people would seem as worthy of respect and compassion from police as white people are.

But we know the roots of racism run far deeper than any bitterly ironic story that switches racial identities could ever reach, don’t we?

And no matter how overwhelming the evidence and witnesses against Chauvin, we know that there’s a chance that this ends with him getting off scott free, don’t we?
revelette3

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 07:26 am
@snood,
I thought that was one of the best parts McConaughey has ever played. Too bad it won't happen, but I do hope the prosecution does give a really effective summation. As long as it is not the woman, I think either one (don't recall their names of the top of my head) of them would do as good as a job as the other. I just hope it is factual, to the point and eloquent or at least effective.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 08:49 am
The judge just mentioned in passing that he expects them to possibly start closing arguments on Monday - one week away.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 10:14 am
I just watched a video of everything up to the point where they were dragging him out of the vehicle. His hands were cuffed behind his back. Therefore, the knee to his neck on the ground was unnecessary, unless they were afraid that his range of motion was such that his head posed a threat to even several armed men who were not handcuffed and lying facedown on the pavement above him.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 03:42 pm
I don’t know where else to say this...

They always say, “We’ve got to warn you, this is graphic and disturbing.” Then they go on and show one more video showing a black man getting murdered by police.

Well I don’t know about anyone else, but as far as I’m concerned they could keep all of those videos for the juries or judges.

I don’t need to see any more recordings of black men being shot or strangled or beaten by police. I’ve seen enough. It rips and scars me and and makes me rage and cry.
longjon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 04:08 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Then they go on and show one more video showing a black man getting murdered by police.

But they never show white people being murdered by blacks even though those videos exist, and those crimes happen more frequent. I wonder why that is?

Quote:
I don’t need to see any more recordings of black men being shot or strangled or beaten by police. I’ve seen enough. It rips and scars me and and makes me rage and cry.

Oh, that's why. To purposely stir grievance based race tension, but only one way.

Always only one way.
longjon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 04:10 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
Quote:

racial tensions are stronger now than they have been in years.

they are...

#ThanksTrump

Have you visited reality recently?

Trump is NOT president anymore

Why aren't you blaming Biden for this?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:45:29