What does the phrase "shortage of Black men in America" mean?

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 03:12 am
Hi. I am curious about this. It's been said there is a shortage of Black men in America. What is meant by the phrase "shortage of Black men in America"? Are there statistically less African American men than African American women, or is this phrase referring to something else?

Please help. Thank you.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 03:22 am
@JGoldman10,
No idea. I have never heard it said. Who said it? Provide the context, that way people will have some chance to answer it, otherwise it just sounds like something you’ve plucked out of thin air.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 03:38 am
@JGoldman10,
It probably refers to the historic and extensive incarceration of African American men. It's not that there's a numerical shortage in the population of that demographic, but that they are not present in families, communities, and workplaces.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 05:03 am
@hightor,
Statistically there are fewer African American men than women, I was told. US census data for 2018 showed fewer black males than females: 19,969,000 males versus 22,595,000 females according to https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2018/demo/race/ppl-ba18.html .

From https://blackdemographics.com/population/black-male-statistics/ :

"According to official 2018 estimates from the US Census Bureau the Black male population in the United States was 21 Million in 2018. This is 48% of the total Black population compared to Black females who make up 52% of the Black population."

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 05:37 am
@JGoldman10,

Here are two stories from 2015 about the topic:
Quote:
They are missing, largely because of early deaths or because they are behind bars. Remarkably, black women who are 25 to 54 and not in jail outnumber black men in that category by 1.5 million, according to an Upshot analysis. For every 100 black women in this age group living outside of jail, there are only 83 black men. Among whites, the equivalent number is 99, nearly parity.

flowingdata

Quote:
This gap – driven mostly by incarceration and early deaths – barely exists among whites.

nyt
BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 12:39 pm
@hightor,
Also black women tend by study I seen are far more likely to have higher education and income then black men an therefore if a black woman wish to have on average a family with a comparable mate they are more likely to need to compete for men outside their race then other groups.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 01:47 pm
@BillRM,
You really shouldn’t make claims like that without something to support it. You know better, ‘a study I seen,’ just doesn’t cut it. Source please.
BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 03:29 pm
@izzythepush,
It common knowledge that any fast google will show. Black males are far less likely to have advance degrees then their females other half.

Like being told to prove that the sky is blue.

Let see :

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2017/12/04/black-women-are-earning-more-college-degrees-but-that-alone-wont-close-race-gaps/

The differences in rates of marriage may in part be due to a shortage of “marriageable” black men, itself a product of high rates of incarceration and early death. (It is worth noting that while there has been a rise in inter-racial marriage, blacks, and black women in particular, remain the least likely to marry someone of a different race.)

4. BLACK COLLEGE GRADUATES LESS LIKELY TO MARRY A COLLEGE GRADUATE
People tend to marry someone with similar levels of education and income, as we discussed last week. So college graduates are not only more likely to be married, they are more likely to be married to each other. This means they can “double up” on the rising college wage premium.

But again, there are differences by race. Black women with an undergraduate degree are less likely to marry a man with a undergraduate degree than their white classmates, as we noted in a 2015 paper, “Single black female BA seeks educated husband: Race, assortative mating and inequality.” White women are now slightly more likely to be better educated than their husbands. But this “marrying down” in terms of education is nothing new for black women, as a recent paper by Chiappori, Salanié, and Weiss shows (note that the figure below measures shares by birth cohort, not by year):

Reeves_Education_Race_Gap4

So: black women with an undergraduate degree are less likely to get married, and if they do, are less likely to marry a man with an undergraduate degree. (Note that our data does not yet capture same-sex marriages.) The result is that improvements in the individual economic position of black Americans does not translate into equivalent gains at the household level.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 03:36 pm
@BillRM,
That wasn’t too hard was it.
BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 03:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Complete unneeded however as my statement is very well known an can be found by a fast google search.

I forgotten how many times I had come across those facts from how many sources.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2021 09:33 pm
@hightor,
Perhaps Real Music can shed some light on this subject.
hightor

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2021 02:30 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Perhaps Real Music can shed some light on this subject.

His comments are certainly welcome but how much more information do you need? The "shortage" refers to the effects of poverty and racism on African American men which has reduced their population from the levels you would expect. It's a stark and tragic reminder of our society's failure to honestly address racial prejudice and its consequences.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 10:40 am
@hightor,
Mr Goldman has his own opinions on why something is happening. He isn’t really interested in the truth, just talking to someone who confirms and shares those opinions.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 09:07 pm
@hightor,
There aren't that many other African Americans on this site or Blacks in general on this site, I presume, aside from myself. I am very curious to know what REAL MUSIC has to say. I would like to know what INSIGHT he has to share and provide.

I would like to know if he is going to share anything that has not already been said in this thread.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 10:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

There aren't that many other African Americans on this site or Blacks in general on this site, I presume, aside from myself. I am very curious to know what REAL MUSIC has to say. I would like to know what INSIGHT he has to share and provide.

I would like to know if he is going to share anything that has not already been said in this thread.

No, that is NOT being racist or culturally-biased.
0 Replies